1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nexus 7 and Bluetooth OBD2

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Want A Hybrid, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Want A Hybrid

Want A Hybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I offered a little treat to my car... (a 2012 TCH XLE)... a Nexus 7 and a Bluetooth OBD scanner.

I wanted to thank all of you for providing nice step-by-step instructions on downloading and installing the list of custom PIDs, the one for Prius Gen3 work really well on the TCH.

Now, I have plenty of real estate to display various counters and I am curious about the ones that you guys choose to display.

I have 1 screen with:
    - GPS speed
    - RPM
    - HP at the wheel
    - Torque at the wheel
    - GPS altitude
    - Water Pump
    - Coolant temperature

What other data is important in the context of a hybrid that I should be looking at?

Once I have secured a dock for the Nexus I will take pics and show you.

Thanks.

2. Prius2012fl

Prius2012fl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is your plan for powering the nexus 7 and keeping it idle when you aren't using it?

What are you looking at for securing?

Nexus 4 ? 2

3. Want A Hybrid

Want A Hybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I returned the Nexus 7 because I didn't like it. I am still using my Galaxy Note 2 with a mount on the windshield on the left of the steering wheel. I have the USB cord to power it up and put it there and take it off when I get in and out of the car.

4. Dan4500

Dan4500 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What OBD Bluetooth device are you using? I've been trying to get "Torque" by Ian Hawkins to work with my Android tablet (Sanei N-10). The tablet will not recognize any Bluetooth device in the Prius. I know it works with Bluetooth b/c I have another Bluetooth device that pairs fine.

I have tried the Bluetooth ELM 327 black case with the orange/blue label. Torque loads and seems to play but its setup screen for Bluetooth devices just sits there and doesn't recognize any device.

I also have and tried a USB cable connected ELM 327 that will connect to a Windows PC with the basic program that came with the ELM, but it also is not recognized by Torque in its USB setup screen on the Android tablet.

Torque looks like a great program to monitor the 2 Prius MGs and ICE plus all the other activity of the Prius. Available on Google Play. Lots of customizing features available.

Any insight or information as to how you got the Android tablet to work would be appreciated.

I posted how to install backup cam in "2012 Prius Two in Audio and Accessories, Back-up Camera"page 10, if you're interested. ("Gen III")

Thanks.

5. Want A Hybrid

Want A Hybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the OBDLink MX Bluetooth and it works ok, although I am typically getting 40-50 PIDs/sec and not the 100 that I saw in other threads.

No issue with my Galaxy Note hooking up bluetooth to it - using ParanoidAndroid based on Android 4.2.1. - after pressing the little button on the scanner the first time to pair it.

Torque *is* great and I use it all the time.

What version of Android are you running? What version of Bluetooth do you run?

Sorry can't help you much as I don't know your tablet and/or your OBD2 scanner.