1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NHTSA 18V684 recall - worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by krausternet, Dec 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2013 Prius Level 3. With about 70K on it. Runs fine. I took it in for a biannual california mandated smog check, and it passed. No problems. I got a printout from the shop and it says that there is an open recall for my car. NHTSA 18V684 from 10/3/2018.
    "Description: Safety REcall J0V - Remedy Notice Certain 2010-2014 Model Year Prius Certain 2012-2014 Model Year Prius V Hybrid System Software Update"

Is there any reason to not take the car to the dealerl to do this recall?

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely need to have this done. If the campaign is incomplete and your inverter fails, it will not qualify for the extended warranty coverage.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are some ways the car's power electronics can fail during driving. If that happens, it's supposed to go into a reduced-power 'limp mode' so you can get out of traffic and safely park. But there was an unhandled edge case, unlikely to occur, but if it did, the car would turn completely off without warning instead of going to limp mode. J0V is an update to handle that case. I would have it done.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the advice. I made an appointment and I had it done this morning.
    BTW, while I was dropping off the car I asked if the software update updates Entune, figuring that might be worthwhile. The toyota shop guy said No, that would be an extra charge on top of the free service for the recall I was bringing it in for. So I figured I'd do it myself someday as I've done it once before on my own.
    Got the car back and the entune display looks a little different. I think they actually did update that software at the same time they did the recall update.