1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NHTSA fines Toyota $16.4 M.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, but the same design is used in numerous European models and the cars are being recalled for the same shim fix.

The Times published a great document

It appears your Web browser is not configured to display PDF files. No worries, just click here to download the PDF file.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

3. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    While some regs have different tiers of civil fines based on intent or past history, these do not. Willful falsification or withholding does carry criminal liability. So one could argue that NHTSA has not levied the maximum penalty possible (though for criminal liability to be applied, a death or serious bodily injury has to actually have occurred as a result of the defect). The fine formula is $6,000/violation/day. The exact numbers aren't clear (I had ~110 days and 23 model-years), but it looks like following the formula gets you right around the max fine specified in reg ($16.4 million). The max fine in statute is $15 million, and when they wrote the rule they adjusted for inflation. Statute doesn't seem to provide for that, but sometimes these things are tricky and certain provisions are in other sections. The statute also says that the size of the violator should be considered (along with the gravity of the violation). So in my mind, due to Toyota's size, that makes the max fine by rule appropriate. One could also argue that the number of vehicles involved makes the violation more serious. One could make several arguments (on both side) about the gravity of the violation. 49 CFR 578, 49 USC 30170.

The main problem is that the Sept. 29 "smoking gun" has not been released (though AP has it), so all I've had to go on is media reports. And all those reports say is that Canadian and European dealers were notified on Sept. 29.

This article has a few more details, but not too much:

Europeans warned of Toyota pedals well before US - Yahoo! News

1 person likes this.
  4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You asked why I thought the maximum fine was too small. I answered, but I see there are some that won't believe the government should be allowed to have any real juristiction on safety matters. Toyota, GM, and Ford have been treating the NHTSA like their little girl, and I spell girl with a 'b'. I'm sure even if there was an email saying it was time to come clean you would not believe Toyota should be fined more than a couple dollars a car a month.

Toyota Email Urged Company to 'Come Clean' - WSJ.com

1 person likes this.
  5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hold strongly that companies like people should just do the right thing...always. If Toyota notified those in Europe back in Sept then they should have notified the NA consumers and authorities at the same time.

If they had done so then they would have avoided this particular mess.

Not much sympathy from me on this one.

6. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree. I'm just guessing, but I think Toyota would say that since SUA hasn't been proven to be due to anything other than floor mats, it wasn't really a "safety recall." Don't know if it would fly with an administrative law judge, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't with the public.

7. Iceman123

Iceman123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What stinks is , had Toyota put all their bad news in Sept/Oct of 09', they could of kissed all their Holiday business away...Toyota, as did any retail business had to recover from a horrible holiday 08' retail season.Instead, the media fallout was in late Jan. 10' and Toyota took it on the chin in Feb(The weakest selling month for most retailers) 10' sales .The timing seems business wise precise.The outcome, they sold a little over 100,000 cars in the U.S, compared to over 195,000 in Feb 2007. Toyota was among the minority of retailers that took consecutive losses in Feb 09'(The business retail world seemed bleak with bank problems and huge job layoffs) and Feb 10' (recall fallout)....Many companies would fire their CEO's with close to a 50% drop.

Had the reports been back in Sept 09' , most of us would of enjoyed the $2,000- $4,000 discounts in incentives(0% financing or lowered sticker price) that was given away in March 10'(Which propped their business to the up side, make no mistake about it) when we bought our car in the ladder of 2009.

From the outside looking in, it stinks bad.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm with you on this, now:

Toyota exec warned on defect:We need to come clean | Reuters

This is disappointing.

I would not read into this delay something a Machiavellian as trying to time the bad news:
    I see in words 'the cause of the problem and the fix had not been determined' the pattern of an engineer trying to understand a problem and not yet having a fix. It is a common hubris of engineering, my profession, that we don't like to discuss technical problems without having fully mastered what is going on including how to 'get well.' When we encounter an intermittent problem, it can lead to delays such as the brake pause.

For nearly two months before the announcement of SSC-A0B, the brake pause fix, I had not experienced it. Regardless, it was important to gather the facts and data, the symptoms. We polled the owners; collected over a dozen problem locations; studied the maintenance manual and new car features looking for unusual speed thresholds and; added instrumentation, a pair of accelerometers. The day the fix was announced was the first time I experienced the brake pause and the second time I had started running the accelerometer and captured it. But the fix, SSC-A0B, had already been added to the production line before it was made available to everyone else. Yet there was not even a peep until the fix was announced.

ISO-9000 teaches that we let the data drive our systems and processes and one of the most important is customer feedback. In fact, customer complaints have a multiplicative effect because for everyone received, there are two or more who 'just live with it.' Even now, many NHW20 owners are living with what user reports indicate is a similar, intermittent, brake pause. But there is a more subtle tradeoff between the engineering terms verification and validation.

Verification means a product performs as the engineer required. Validation means a product performs as the customer requires. To pass validation means the engineer accepts that the customer's requirements may require a change in their design, their engineering specifications. It is a humbling experience that teaches precious lessons. But customer validation has time on its side ... an engineer can only put off the day of reckoning but the clever engineer knows this and uses the customer reports to drive continuous improvement.

Bob Wilson

9. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Bob, what you described sounds like technical compliance vs functional (aka user) feedback. The former is measurable while the later is a moving target.

10. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

On the contrary, I do seek governmental intervention whenever consumer safety is involved. That is given. Their role is without question from both moral and legal perspective.

In reality, however, that line gets burred. Esp when governments get involved with business activities which can result in conflict of interest.

It is easy with hind-sight to past judgment based on latest "Come clean" email that federal officials managed to pull from over 70,000 doc.

Was this email statement quoted out of context?
    Did Toyota management want to to keep that a secret or delay publishing it before further factual evidence can be found?

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You are correct that having a fixed set of specifications works for getting product 'out the door.' The problem is these specifications may not reflect what the customer needs. Sometimes this isn't learned until the customer gets their hands on the product for field testing. It might not be fair but it is reality and engineers have to be flexible to understand there will be 'discovered' requirements.

Last night as I was laying in bed, it occurred to me that maybe the North American Prius should have:

• "brake" idiot light operate every time the brake is pressed, not just when driving with the parking brake is on.
    • new "accelerator" idiot light that operates every time the accelerator is pressed.
    This might reduce the number of fumble-foot acceleration complaints when the driver sees the lights telling them which pedal they are standing on.

Bob Wilson

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "10,000 field engineers", as in "every customer is a field engineer." We used to joke about that being our beta testing system.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

At least we have some room for agreement.

There was ample evidence in the congressional testimony that toyota had discussed this. Given the strong language of la hood there had to be more evidence in the documents. IMHO toyota knew its responsibility to its customers and decided to keep quiet. The maximum possible fine is so low, I'm sure they didn't care about it at all. One of the findings of the congressional committee that the Toyota USA was not allowed to make the decision to issue a recall, only japan. Which recall do you think they were talking about.

But really how could the email be taken out of context. Read the whole thing, with the hate to break it to you sarcasm. Or add on the other information of toyota only testing 3 pedals in vehicles with unintended acceleration and finding 2 of them had sticky pedals. I could go on, but its all been reported.

14. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Associated Press: Audi to climb Pikes Peak without a driver

Maybe this is the real answer...

1 person likes this.
  15. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Re: NHTSA fine $16.4 M.

16. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of final I think that the winner will be TOYOTA

17. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

No no, not again!

Toyota had been a winner for some time, and it was preciously this that had gotten so much unwanted (political) attention recently.

1 person likes this.
  18. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Toyota isn't the only auto maker who has crossed swords with the US
    gov't over the safety of the vehicles it makes and sells.

Remember this one?

$4.9 Billion Judgment Latest in GM Liability Saga

"The $4.9 billion judgment against General Motors this month (Jul. 20,
    1999) in a fuel-tank fire case is the latest chapter in a long saga
    involving independent counsel and former GM lawyer Kenneth Starr,
    accusations of perjury and obstruction of justice, and an infamous
    1973 internal memo revealing that General Motors engineer Edward
    Ivey had placed the value of a human life at $200,000.

"The record-settling judgment in the latest case centered on a
    California crash in which six people in a GM pickup truck were hit from
    behind by a drunk driver. The truck's fuel tank exploded, seriously
    burning the occupants."

Some would say that GM subsequently fully recovered from any
    lingering customer confidence issues, including possible "perjury and
    obstruction of justice."

What would suggest That Toyota won't do likewise?

After all, the judgement against GM was 298 times larger than Toyota's
    possible $16.4M civil penalty and they recovered both financially and
    apparently with customer confidence/SUV sales.

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I for one have neer said Toyota is going away in the US, but I don;t think they will recover market-share wise for years. Obviously there are unknown variables but Toyota gobbled up market share for so long based on the assumption they were 'perfect' or heads and tails above every other car-maker. Those assumptions have been destroyed by the actions or inactions of toyota. Time will tell where it all ends up. Momentum can be a powerful thing.

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The judgement will be surpassed several times in this toyota mess.