1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NHTSA investigates LG battery systems

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Apr 10, 2022.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2022/04/05/nhtsa-investigation-lg-energy-solution-electric-vehicle-battery-recalls/9467236002/

A federal auto safety agency has opened an investigation into Korean manufacturer LG Energy Solution's high-voltage electric-vehicle batteries after their internal failures in several vehicle models led to fire risks and recalls.

The inquiry by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched on Friday affects 138,324 vehicles. The action seeks to notify other automakers that could have defective batteries in their vehicles from LGES and ensure any safety recalls are conducted if needed, according to a summary of the probe.
    . . .
    NHTSA also referenced a 2020 recall affecting a single 2019 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive vehicle from Mercedes Benz USA LLC for a fire-risk defect; the 2020 and 2021 recalls affecting Hyundai Motor Co.'s 2019-2020 Kona Electric and 2020 Ioniq Electric vehicles for battery manufacturing defects that create a fire risk;, and a recall issued last month by Volkswagen AG on 2021 ID.4 vehicles for insufficient soldering points that make for unreliable connections in their batteries that could lead to the vehicle breaking down or stalling, risking a crash.
    . . .

Bob Wilson

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've got an LG V20 and purchased another LG V35 phone (not for my use) that are still kinda OK, even if a bit outdated when compared to the new sfuff on the market. The investigation just reminded me of the batteries in the Samsung phones? tabs? that caught fire a few years ago.
    There's some great new tech that originates out of Korea, but it's being released hard and fast in some cases. We'll have to see how the investigation proceeds from here until a conclusion is reached.

Wondering if any of the packs in the cars on that cargo ship that just recently sank where LG battery packs?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    V20 ... the last of the great removable battery phones. Got an old one as a spare in a drawer somewhere - with a massive aftermarket battery - double capacity
    Would still be using it if carriers hadn't gone to 5G

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    something like this one?

:giggle:

5G ? what's that? Does it really enhance a phones end user experience? up down speeds, drops. etc..

:giggle:

I can't wait for a wired 10G connection to the home. Not really, but it was a bit confusing when first saw it was possible. And the G6, G7, G8 ? Did they spin off the ipcc?
    I still don't get all the G stuff being bantered around these days.

#4 vvillovv, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Chrysler GM Tesla Hyundai all use LG batteries to some extent.

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Both my Bolt and Spark use LG batteries. The Bolt received a new, higher capacity battery, the Spark battery hasn't had any issues.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    SUCKS to say - our 2018 Pacifica plugin Mini Van appears to be caught up with LG poor quality. A whole bunch of owners have a whole lot less loyalty / touchy fealy-ness / good will after finding out they may very well be driving around in a roman candle;

New Picture (1).jpg

New Picture (2).jpg

New Picture (3).jpg

New Picture.jpg

Only 2017 & 2018 models are having battery fires (a dozen so far), according to most sources.
    Digging deep - the ONLY difference in the battery system is the low voltage (BCH) battery coolant heater connector (1st black receiver on the left) ... newer models have a newer style plug.
    baahhh - probably coincidence.

New Picture.png

but our older BCH connector/plug ... is on recall. Newer Pacifica's BCH plugs are beter sealed & coated for corrosion resistance.
    Maybe we're at risk because of BorgWarner - the BCH manufacturer - or LG's failure(s).
    Can't wait to see how long it takes LG to crap 20,000 traction packs, as that's roughly how many affected customers there are between 2017 & 2018.
    :mad:

#7 hill, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    OWCH!

There appears to be a building involved ... detached or attached garage?

Plz keep us informed for 'lessons learned.'

Bob Wilson