1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NHTSA Proposes Standard Backup Cameras in All Vehicles By 2014

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Feb 13, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    NHTSA Proposes Standard Backup Cameras in All Vehicles By 2014 - Auto Observer

If it happens, this eliminate the complaint (way in the future) we have w/the 3rd gen where in order to get the backup camera, you have to get nav, which is big bucks.

Whoops! There's already plenty of discussion on this at http://priuschat.com/forums/other-cars/87587-mandatory-backup-cameras-2014-a.html. But, I can't delete my own post...

2. rpeeples

rpeeples Experienced Toyota Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You mention "big bucks". That is the whole point of requiring the cameras. Somebody is forcing this issue just to make money off it. Disagree with me if you'd like, but the government really does not care about anything related to safety unless somebody is pushing the issue in order to make money off it. Show me one safety requirement that didn't result in an increase in the price of a car beyond what would have been a fair price for the item.

In my personal experience, I have noticed two things when it comes to the backup camera - one is that I forget it's there and use the mirrors as I have been doing for more than 25 years, the other is that the camera can be misleading because "objects in camera are closer than they appear".

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ignore this. Read the other thread. I posted without fully reading.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, I'm talking about the way Toyota pricing/packacing of the 3rd gen. Per Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Prices for 2010 Prius / Toyota (old prices now), one had to go to Prius model three + pay $1800 to get nav in order to get a backup camera, which meant a $2800 outlay.

On the 2nd gen, the color MFD was included in ALL models, regardless of whether you got nav. Thus, you could get the backup camera w/o nav and pay a lot less than $2800 extra. But, you had to have an 06 or newer since that's first model year it became available.

From http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html, for an 06, to get the backup camera, one only had to get a package that was $825 more.