1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NHTSA Tracking Braking Loss on Prius Hybrids

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RobertMBecker, Dec 24, 2009.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Right next to the SUV that I parked next to today? It had a flat tire yesterday. I assumed the owner would do something about it. Nope. It was there again today the same way. I wonder how far his commute drive is. That's just plain dumb.

What's smart is driving more careful when you know there's a risk, like the millions of us on snow & ice every single day... even with properly cared for tires. That's far more probable of causing an accident than hitting a pothole with a bad outcome, especially now that you are aware of the sensation.

2. Sneezy

Sneezy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: NTHSA Compaint

Its AWD.

3. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    People usually result to personal insults and name calling when their untenable position has backed them into a corner and they can't use facts or reason to work their way out of it...

1 person likes this.
  4. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see how I'd look like a Jerk, however I also see how you look equally like a jerk. Anyways, I saw this on CNN:

"The company has acknowledged a software glitch that is causing problems with its braking. It said it is looking further at the best way to repair the problem."

I do stand slightly corrected, (unless things change.) I just don't see it as an issue when exercising safe driving. I've been in much more unsafe vehicles and flourished. I do apologize for my attitude and negative approach to explaining.

I will wait to see if what it is they are changing before letting them update mine, and see if there is any impact on efficiency.

5. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

oh! well Then that wouldn't be applicable. All four wheels are connected by the drivetrain.

6. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can guarantee you that it wasn't the engineers looking into the issue that put this into the limelight. Only over the last few days have they been looking into it. It was simply the company replying to the customer's demands to look into a problem. HOWEVER they are finding a minor software glitch that causes a fraction of a second delay in a brake transition.

7. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate getting sucked into these conversations John! The reason I keep posting is I hope to get through to these people. Some are being extremely reasonable and even changing my opinion slightly on this subject. I've been convinced now that there is no harm in looking into this and finding a tweak to make it better. However, it's people parking their car and overreacting; running around like a chicken with their heads cut off that just have me bewildered. It's them that keep me coming back, I just feel the urge to try to bring them to reason...

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That's all fine and good - but this can be accomplished in 1 post, not a half dozen or more.

To everyone - this is a hot button topic right now. We all have varying opinions on this. This is about issues, not the person behind them. Let's remain civil as we express them.

9. georgew

georgew New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha, thats really funny. I hope they've been looking into this for a few months now....it would be foolish of them not too given the nature of the complaints.. I for one would not want to buy a car from a company who was that irresponsible.

1 person likes this.
  10. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'm sure they've looked into it and know the issue, but they probably didn't see it as constituting a mass recall.

I guess I should backpedal a bit here and say that what I should have said, only over the last days have they began to look for solutions to satisfy the consumer.

I'd also like to state that I have studied Prius repair manuals, schematics, participated in some Prius dissection and kept up to date with all the service bullitens and been VERY active in the Prius community. I seriously know a lot more about the Prius than most people, in fact I annoy a lot of my friends with the knowledge I have on the subject.

I would like to apologize for my quantity of posts here. I will try to minimalize my future posting. I have a friend who keeps telling me the new posts on here and sometimes when I hear personal attacks I get fumed and have to respond. lol

11. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I thought it was "all regenerative braking systems work like this"... or wait maybe it's "only dangerous drivers who can't handle a few seconds of not braking care about this". Don't worry, I'm sure the NHTSA will get straightened out about how cars are supposed to work once they start posting on these forums.

12. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ** Little bit of clean-up after some discussion **

1 person likes this.
  13. wammo

wammo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A basic factual observation about the brake issue. Thanks to the brake threads on Prius Chat I was startled but not panicked when my brakes did their hick-up. Close to a corner ready to make a turn my car almost jumped forward instead of slowing down when driving over one of Houston's infamous potholes, but no car was ahead of me so no damage was done (except to my nerves). Also I have noticed that the car speeds up for just a short time when tapping the brakes to disengage cruise control. This requires me to brake harder than I really want to which makes the ride quite jerky. There is just a short delay in the braking action, not much but again enough that it makes one sit up and take notice. I really hope it is a software issue that Toyota can readily fix. I like my car...... And I am unsure if these are the issues that should be reported to Toyota, what do you think??:(

14. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The tapping brake cruise issue is largely because the brake switch is calibrated to activate slightly after very minimal braking force takes place. I've never personally noticed any acceleration prior to, but definitely a delay in canceling cruise. I now am used to it, or opt to cancel by pulling the stalk back.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Audi experience demonstrates that even if no problem exists, doing nothing -- other than blaming the customers -- is a terrible business practice.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish there were Ford and Subaru sites like this when they quietly issued TSBs on my cars.

17. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have been attempting - for 2 days - to open a complaint on the NHTSA site. For the braking issue - I have experienced the problem 4 times in the last couple months. Want to make sure the NHTSA has proper input as I hope Toyota does issue the recall.

Problem is I cannot complete the complaint on the NHTSA site. Enter the problem text on the first page, the date, and the 4 check boxes. Then when "continue" is checked the site simply hangs and never goes to the next page. This happened each time. I'm ready to call NHTSA - but would prefer and online entry. Anyone else run into problems with NHTSA?

18. mainlin

mainlin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How to file a braking complaint with NHTSA

File a complaint with the Office of Defects Investigation at N.H.T.S.A. Instructions can be found at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/. In filing your complaint, be as specific as possible about any braking incidents in which your car was involved. Complaints to the government are added to the public files on each car model, which also can be viewed at the agency’s Web site.

19. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't know they could tune it any tighter than it is, but that's great if it's all the fix that is needed to satisfy everyone. I personally wouldn't want it changed because that's one thing I love about the 2010 Prius. It really seems easier to regenerate.

Also: Sorry to everyone I irritated last night. I was up too late. :B

I was really upset because I kept seeing news reports and having friends argue with me and claim the car wasn't stopping. There's a lot of general confusion and some people (not you guys at all) are confusing this with the other toyota recalls and claiming the the cars aren't stopping or that the brakes are all-out failing.

I should've known better than to get in a fight with my own Prius brotheren.

20. Blue Sunfish

Blue Sunfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Canadian Financial Post suggests that this Toyota issue could also mean an economic war.

The war on Toyota