1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NHW10 charger in to NHW11

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by AlexY, Dec 5, 2010.

1. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    My first post there. Does anyone tried to adopt the original charger from NHW10 to recharge NHW11 traction battery? I've just started that and would like to read any advises. Before anyone say how danger this is I need to say I'm electronic engineer.

Regards

Sorry if my English is bad, I'm Polish.

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery voltage is 288V on NHW10 and 273.6V on NHW11.
    The NHW10 charger is built-in type for only NHW10 battery system.

You need to have "THS Charger" to charge the NHW11 battery.
    http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid15.pdf

Ken@Japan

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Which Prius have you got? I see you're in the UK so you'll have access to both the original Prius which is a Japanese import only and the official gen1 classic Prius. What year was your Prius built?

They both look very similar on the outside but are very different mechanically, especially where the hybrid system is concerned - different voltages, power outputs, HV batteries etc. An easy way to tell is if by looking at the rear number/licence plate. The import will have a small, square plate and the official Prius will have a long rectangular plate like most European cars have.

Do you have a fault with a NHW10 imported Prius? A lot of battery faults can be due to the HV battery going out of ballance (or something like that) and the equipment to correct this is not to be found easily, even at Toyota dealers. This is mainly because the original Prius was only sold new in Japan.

There are one or two places in the UK who have the correct equipment if this helps.

4. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I looked into doing this about 3-4 years ago, and I determined that it would do absolutely nothing for our NHW11 Prius's as our battery management ECU is much more sophisiticated and the capacities and design of the NHW11 are a far larger step up than the increases obtained from subsequent Prius batteries after the NHW11 which were more evolutionary than revolutionary as they were from NHW10 to NHW11. Please examine the pics below to see how markedly different they were. These pics are not my own, but some borrowed from ecomodder.com and some from oldnoah, an excellent guy on our very own Prius chat site.

The charger you are referring to was simply put into the NHW10 to stabilize the overall charge of the D cell batteries after being stationary for lengthy periods of time. Much to my disappointment, it will not individually charge individual cells as the THS charger will, but may actually cause wild variations in the SOC (state of charge) between individual cells which will adversely affect the life expectancy of the battery. In addition, the higher voltage output of the charger, assuming it could interface with the NHW11 charging port (it can't unfortunately!), would likely damage the cells if used for longer periods of time.

Trust me, once upon a time, I was going APE over this, and wanted it so badly. But as I and a few friends on the Yahoo NHW10 Prius Chat groups found, it would simply not work, and no real way to get this to interface easily. Nor would it facilitate my desperate attempts to make a cheap plug-in hybrid! Often, I still get asked whether I have to plug in my Prius, and my reply for all these many years is always the same... I WISH I DID!!! LOL!!! I would strongly advise you to join that group as they are some of the most dedicated Prius owners you will find anywere. I met one guy in New Zealand, and it felt like such an honour to stand in front of the True Original Prius, and to see such a passionate Prius owner. If you have any other questions, by all means ask, as information on this "mystery charger" is scarce at best.

Attached Files:

5. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for reply guys.

To ken1784: I know all differences between all prius versions, even the battery chemistry and voltage, I suppose this is almost impossible to buy THS charger or to find it cheap. I'm absolutely sure the charger from NHW10 will charge the battery for NHW11 if only I force them to start.

To GrumpyCabbie: My prius is 2001 so this is NHW11 with prismatic cells, there is no fault at all, I'm using it 2 years and saw red triangle with exclamation only once (after few hours of driving @140-150km/h in the middle of Germany). My plan is similar or same to mlibanio's ideas to build cheap plug'in version. About cells balancing: I did it with RC model charger (and measured capacity by the way), also there is another way called spider: connect silicone diode in series with small resistor (about 100ohm) and this connect to every single (1,2V) cell with cathode to negative terminal, after some time all cells will be discharged to the same voltage. This method is only for NiCd cells, NiMh does not allow to discharge below 1V so method need modification.

To mlibanio: I have bought relatively cheap spare NHW11 HV battery (150GBP) without ECU and my idea is to charge it with this charger from 12V socket which I will mount on my house outside. Then this battery will support main battery (will keep them in high SOC) as long as it is possible through DC-DC converter, of course I need build additional controller which will monitor everything. At the moment I've finish analysing the charger's control logic circuits and not sure about one thing, there are 3 control lines connected to other devices, one is very easy input signal saying about presence of something (maybe car is in ready state?), 2 next looks like TX & RX communication line... if this is right I can do nothing, I must have working NHW10 car to analyze it and this is of course not feasible and this part of my project will die.

This is why I've started new threat, I'm looking for someone who tried that and can save my time. Anyway I will follow your advise and search NHW10 yahoo group for useful infos.

Regards

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps this will help.

What I'd like to suggest is before going 'down the rabbit hole,' perhaps get the error codes read out?

The reason I suggest this is there are several, independent errors that can lead to a traction battery error. The fix or each one is different so understanding what is causing the error symptom makes it a lot easier to focus on effective cures.

Perhaps you might consider getting an affordable Scangauge or some of the alternatives to read out the detailed error codes. This makes problem resolution a lot easier.

Just a thought,
    Bob Wilson

7. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    None of the charging systems I've seen, including the Gen II THS charger can do individual string balancing. There also is no need as long as you can perform top balancing at a low current.

If you don't care about charge time, You can build a low-cost charger with a low current source. 200ma or below is safe for uncontrolled charging as long as the temperature is reasonable. Hook it up and let it go. Note: you must have the cells mechanically constrained!

8. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prismatic packs does not gives access to single cell, I want solve it with drill machine, resin and screws. If I want use full battery capacity I must monitor every single cell or battery will die very fast.

Too slow, 1 - 2A is my target

9. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it will be long way to go for hacking and modifying the NHW10 built-in charger.
    I don't understand why you start using 12V power source.
    If I were you, I'll use AC220V power source, then build a simple constant current (1A) charger up to approx DC350V. Of course, it is important to monitor voltage and battery temperature.

Regarding to cell balancing, I only see it on the Li-ion pack for PHV Prius.
    DENSO Develops Battery Monitoring Unit for Lithium-ion Batteries

Ken@Japan

10. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12V is a little bit safer, there will be socket mounted on the outside of the house, your option is faster, easier, simpler but there is no educational aspect in this, don't worry, as it going to fail with NHW10 charger, your option is my plan B.

Maybe because Nixx cells are obsolete? They can be balanced as well, my hobby is electric RC model making and I use NiMh balancing (see attached picture).

Attached Files:

11. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The stock NiMH pack does monitor and report module pair (14.4V each) balancing,, but it does not have correction capability.

Ken@Japan

12. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I said before I don't want touch stock battery which is working now in my car, I have second one which I want modify to have access to all 266 cells then this will be safe to use 100% of their capacity. This battery will recharge stock battery.

No progress with the charger at the moment.. my "time absorber" (wife) is coming back from holiday today :(

13. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We built a simple low amperage, high voltage DC charger for the GEN 1, battery pack from LED power supplies. They can be had for a song, and wired in series to bump up the voltage. In the photo there are 7ea, 48volt 350ma CC power supplies in series to output the HV needed to precharge the Gen1 pack.

At the moment, this charger is being used to try and revive an HV Battery that has been sitting discharged for around a year.

Attached Files:

14. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    350 seems a little "hot" for constant current, especially on a Gen1 pack with possibly weak seals. I'd limit it to 200ma if possible.

Do they sell a 200ma version?

15. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if they do, quite possibly. But "knocking on wood right now" we've not had any issues so far...... I suppose the "No Ox ID Special A" coating we use on the bussbars might not allow us to notice any leakage since the bussbars are not corroding anymore with the No Ox in use.