1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NHW11 hacks

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Nov 28, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

This list gives some ideas of what I'm using, tested, and my speculations:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6
    0 Modification Status Price Performance
    1 1 kW inverter use $100 4-8 hr Used 1-2 times per year 2-20 hours and cabin 110 VAC
    2 2" trailer hitch use $200 2 hr Used 1-2 times per year oversized loads
    3 rear wheel shims use $10-25 2 hr Used constantly to reduce tire wear and drag
    4 front camber bolt use $10 1 hr Used constantly to reduce tire wear and drag
    5 Type WS use $25 1 hr Reduce transaxle drag change 30k mi.
    6 Passive window vent use $50 1 hr Ford Focus passive vents siliconed reduce summer solar load
    7 block heater use $50 1 hr Saves ~1 minute of warm-up
    8 Lower radiator block use $5 1 hr Moves effective temp. up ~10-15F when temperatures are freezing
    9 ICE themister hack tested $10-100 16 hr allows Stage-4 about 3 minutes early
    10 Remove seat tested $25 2 hrs nap board and larger loads
    11 larger diameter tires use $200 improves handling no significant mileage improvement expands hybrid speed range +1-2 mph
    12 Graham scanner Yes $100-200 record engineering data for analysis
    13 GPS mouse use $50 combine with Graham data for analysis
    14 data cable tested $10 carries engineering data from engine to cabin
    15 flat towing tested $300 allows high-speed NHW11 towing behind RV
    16 XM radio discon $75 replaced by iPod FM modulator
    17 iPod use $50 quality content lower cost
    18 concave mirrors use $10 mounted on rear view mirror to cover blind spots
    19 transaxle heater broke $40 JC Whitney units junk
    You'll notice there is a mix of efficiency and utility modifications. If the NHW11 can provide additional utility, the quality of life is improved and one's life is 'less cluttered.'

The following have not been tested but are offered as ideas:

• replace with NHW20 modules - the existing NHW11 modules have weak terminal seals and I would like to replace them with NHW20 modules when the time comes.
    • solar reflector shades - like the removable kind but mounted using silvered, mylar film, more easily deployed front and rear
    • rain closing, cracked windows - when cabin temperature reaches 90F, the windows will seek a 1" opening and close if rain starts to fall
    • fold down rear seats - available in the Japanese and European NHW11s, this provides space for long loads (fishing poles and lumber.)
    • glass-pack muffler - a common performance hack, reducing muffler constriction may improve exhaust scavage and engine performance at highway speeds and hill climb
    • turbo drive - an uncommon hack, try to recover some of the heat from the catalytic converter reactions
    • electric A/C - trunk mounted, 110 VAC air conditioner, <5,000 BTU, driven by inverter to avoid engine driven compressor
    • exhaust heat capture - tap exhaust heat for cabin HVAC using absorption cooling cycle
    • solar fan - helps force hot air out in sunny conditions
    • load driven cruise control - keeps the ICE in efficient RPM range by allowing larger speed variations
    • auto "N" - shifts to neutral for automatic glide in no brake, no accelerator operation
    • O2 hack - extends initial start, battery EV mode from 30-45 seconds to 1-2 minutes. NOTE: needs testing to confirm no risk to catalytic converter, some increase in initial pollution likely.
    • fuel pump hack - turns off fuel pump to force ICE off for EV mode (with warnings!)
    • docking curb - driving car into curb provides AC power for block and cabin heating and cooling and traction battery topping.
    • advance docking - provides HVAC so vehicle exhaust heat can be used for house heating as well as house power
    • second power inverter - a second NHW11 inverter is micro-processor driven to provide up to 18 kW of pure sine-wave, emergency power from traction battery, part of advanced docking system, transportable in trunk but operated as stationary power system
    • rear wheel electric drive - 5th wheel using 2" receiver
    • alternate fuel system - partial combustion system using water injection provides cooled, combustible, gasious fuel to engine air box to replace gasoline during high-speed cruise. Carried on 2" receiver and microprocessor controlled, substitutes charcoal for gasoline.

Edison explained that only 1 out 100 ideas every pan out. When asked how he explained being such a successful inventor, he answered, "Have lots of ideas."

Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Superb list by one of the world's foremost 'dissatisfied' Prius drivers. Does not even mention the experimental refilling/resealing of NiNH cells. Can you provide purchase info for the Ford Focus ventshields? I may know of some interested parties.
    The 'smart windows' for heat and rain sound great - get right on that.

I have been down some of these roads as well, but will only highlight differences:
    If yours came without cruise control, DIY! ($170)
    The Yakima rack ($250) adds a lot of capability, and does not appear to ruin MPG below 45 mph. Dismount when not in use.
    Sound deadening material ($100) added underhood and front doors makes it possibly quieter on the road than an NHW20.
    Relatively inexpensive tweeters ($50) and subwoofer ($120) makes the audio almost good enough. Others have spent much more chasing the elusive good enough.
    Fog lights ($20 - guess country of origin :) ) help at those obvious times.
    Washable electrostatic cabin filter ($10) is quite a common 'hack'.
    Adding a transaxle fluid filter ($50) did not appear to help much, and the polymer case of the fuel filter used deformed at operating temperature. Cross this one off.
    I did try a solar fan (as mentioned) but wind noise on the road was unacceptable, and too much trouble to repeatedly de-install.

Others have done various hacks to increase driver's leg room, but neither Bob nor I suffer from excessive leg length.

The other side of this is group efforts to keep as many of these quirky little gems on the rod, giving good service, and Bob is a major contributor to that effort as well.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I thought about the sealing TIS and the visible O-rings seen in the terminals and realized that short of trying to rebuild the terminals, this would remain a permanent weakness of the original cells. The normal, high pressures forces the water, actually the H{2} and O{2} out the terminal seals. We can replace the lost water but without fixing the terminal, they are just going to fail again.

One alternative is to drill out the pressure valve and install plumbing to make them into a wet cell instead of the current mat. Then I realized that the maximum voltage between the end module, pressure valve assembly would be ~375 VDC. Given KOH conductivity, the wet cell assembly would need the same electrical isolation.

Another alternative would be to try and rebuild the terminals. The key is finding an O-ring supply and someway to drill-out and replace the existing terminal fitting. But for this to be practical, it needs a steady supply of failed NHW11 modules to rebuild and market to sell them. IMHO, this is not practical but I still think about creative ways to solve this problem ... perhaps packing with epoxy impregnated thread ...

Not published before, I've come to the conclusion that after the current inventory of NHW11 modules are worn out, the best answer for individuals is replacement of the 38 modules with NHW20 modules. The NHW20s are better designed with slightly better electrical characteristics.
    I've only fitted the rear windows. What I noticed is the NHW11 and Ford Focus have very similar body shapes and window sizes. So I ordered a set of window vents and learned the front won't work. However, the rear ones did after I trimmed a little plastic and used a silicon sealant to hold it in the window frame. It is not perfect but it does seem to moderate the heat and I don't have to race the random rain storm approaching the parking lot.
    Still on my list. Hobbit achieved part of the solution with his window hack on the NHW20. In a world of competing interests ... well at least two of us know local warming is still important.

I'm hoping our lists may inspire others to join us and tackle one or more of these enhancements. Better still, use their new eyes to identify new opportunities. The NHW11 has known limits but these vehicles are available for very reasonable amounts. Yes, there is a risk of failure so I would not recommend it or any older car without a backup. However, we have a growing knowledge base of how to deal with them by home mechanics.

Between you, Patrick and my efforts, we're helping to mentor new owners of older NHW11s. This is a good thing as the NHW11s are excellent 'green rods' because they share so many systems with the NHW20 and ZVW30. <grins>

Bob Wilson

4. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you seen the thread on this at Ecomodder? Someone blazed a trail in a metro. I have all the parts ready to do it on my Previa van at some point. Have not looked into the Prius.

Cruise Control (with MPG sensitive logic) - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

I'm thinking about an HV battery cooling fan hack so I can pre warm the car with a space heater and consequently the pack with the warm cabin air. Recirculation would be nice too so all that warm air stays in the car. Either that or a battery blanket under the HV pack.

5. priuslovers

priuslovers Way Out Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

Could you please tell me where I can buy the washable cabin air filter.
    Thank you, Priuslovers

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    What I and many others have used is sold for home HVAC use, called washable electrostatic. Your faborite local hardware store. A filter about 4x Prius-sized costs about $20. Then you remove it from the included frame and cut the foam to size. I recall 20.5 by 20.5 cm.

Wash with a little dish soap, dry and reinstall on your favorite interval. Eventually the magic stuff on the filters gets washed away, so I've read. Then you take another piece of foam out of your Prius parts box and use it for 50-100 thousand miles (with cleanings). Something like that.

Same size fits NHW20, ??same on the ZVW30. I was stopped by Toyota employees while disassembling it to that stage.

7. MetroMPG

MetroMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    (Edit: sorry - test post deleted.)

8. idwho

idwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi PC ppl,
    I have read with interest the posts regarding adding a paddle and brake switch to NWH 11 Prius and getting cruise control happening.
    Is this possible for the Australian 2002 Prius?
    Toyota service and parts people deny it is possible so I would have to buy a kit from USA - but $151 American (plus postage) is a lot cheaper than $800 Australian for the aftermarket kits quoted here.
    Just bought it at 55,000 kilometres (38,000 miles) for $12000 Aussie dollars so I believe it is worth putting cruise control in. The car is in immaculate condition too. Very happy Prius owner now.

Any help on if it is possible?

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Welcome to PriusChat and an excellent first posting:
    Yes. The Prius cruise control consists of three resistors in series and four switches. If you'll check the message archives in the Yahoo Group "Prius Technical Stuff" I believe you can find the resistor values. One side of resistor series is grounded and the other connects to a ping "CCS", pin 16 of connector "H14" of the hybrid vehicle control ECU:
    Prius Hybrid Vehicle EUC

You may be able to get a salvage unit but this is not something I have much experience.
    I would recommend changing the transaxle oil pretty soon. We found that the first change needs to be done early. You're welcome to review some of my data:

2003 Prius

Sounds like a nice find.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  10. FireIsBorn

FireIsBorn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Greetings -
    Normally I think stock is best, but with my GIII I cannot resist a few enhancements...

Could you please provide details about the rear shims, front camber bolt and flat-towing?
    Thanks

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let's take any follow-up over to the ZVW30 forums but the short answer is:

• look up: EZ-shim
    • front camber bolts are described in Vol 2 of the ZVW30 maintenance manual - you'll need to bring the four-wheel alignment values here before we can discuss which ones would be used
    • flat-towing - is specific to our NHW11 that is now well beyond the Toyota warranties. The ZVW30 is still under the 3/36000 and 8/100000 warranties
    Bob Wilson

12. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have an idea for a hack. When I was replacing the battery in my NHW11 last week I noticed that the blower-motor for the battery air-flow was fairly large. This is the one that blows air out that little vent on the driver's side door. If I understand it correctly, this blower motor sucks air from the passenger area and blows it over the battery and out the side of the car. Which means if you could keep this fan blowing on a hot summer day, it should keep the inside of the vehicle cooler. It would work sort of like one of those vents you can place in a cracked window.

I have no idea how many amps this thing draws so I'm not sure if it could be powered by the vehicle or of you'd need to rig up some kind of solar panels to prevent it from draining the 12V battery.

You could install a switch on the dash using one of those unused knock-out plates to turn the thing on and off. You'd probably need some kind of relay so that when it is off it would return control to the regular power wires that power it.

Another possibility would be to carry a separate battery just for powering that fan. Since I'm about to be converting my NHW11 to a plug-in it wouldn't be that much more difficult to add an extra battery for that, which would be recharged when the car is plugged in.

I know it would be great to go to my car in the middle of July or August and have the temperature inside the car be roughly the same as the temperature outside.

13. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My favourite hack was the folding rear seat I made! My Prius is now the Home Depot vehicle of choice! Heck I brought home my 52" LCD TV the other day in it! I could not stop laughing. Even after the Navigation, iPod Kit, Microphone Kit, Subwoofer and Amp, my favourite mod by far is still my folding rear seat!

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm having a senior moment today. Did you post any photos of the hack?

Bob Wilson

15. idwho

idwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi adric22,
    I am interested in this quote
    As i have a 2002 Prius, where is there info on this?
    cheers
    Iain.

16. idwho

idwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its Ok you can all stop looking for me.
    I found calcars.org

17. gene23

gene23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone tried the regen mod described by Julian Edgar from Autospeed?

A World First: Modifying Regen Braking

Smoother and more powerful braking that also improves fuel economy!

by Julian Edgar

He talks about a 99, I was wondering if the regen in the 2002 was optimized by Toyota, so it wouldn't be of much help?

I am thinking of setting it up so its more like "downshifting", where you could have different selectable deceleration rates, all regen, no friction.

18. gene23

gene23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So finally found the master cylinder pressure signal that goes to the ABS CU, but its touchy...if I "change" it by more than 100mV the ABS light comes on and thats the end of regen.

However, that 100mv of "extra" pressure allows me to approx double the decel rate of no pedal. It does work and I can get a lot more regen than with the brake pedal alone.

Anyone know how I can get the ABS unit to be happy with a 200-300mV artificial shift in pressure without having a fit?

Is there a backup pressure signal it checks?...which one?

Thanks for the help and if anyone would like the details of my "downshift" let me know.

19. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Gene,
    I would love to know how you accomplished this. Regen such as what you have found is desirable to me, as I live in a hilly area, no sense wasting all that wonderful kinetic energy! Please fill me in. I am so very interested.

20. gene23

gene23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for not responding sooner, have been busy testing my Enginer Kit in my 02, trying to get an "EV" mode without much success, yet...

Follow the instructions from the autospeed website, the regen article by Julian Edgar:

For the 02 the lines I used were VCM(+5 volts) and PMC(pressure) at the ABS ECU.

VCM=pin 10, B10 connector (on the bottom of ABS ecu), black wire
    PMC=pin22, B10 connector, white wire.

For now I am using a momentary slide switch and a multiturn 100k pot in series, between VCM and PMC.

Adjusting is touchy, a meter between PMC and E2(common, pin 23, red wire) helps. With no brake, switch open you should have about .5 V (as you push harder on pedal you shoule see V increase).
    With switch closed, adjust the pot to get no more than ~.6V so that the ABS light stays off.

Now, with foot off the accelerator, and hit the switch you will notice modest deceleration, which cuts out at about 9 mph. If you use the brake simultaneously hydraulic pressure and more regen will slow you down faster.

Hope this helps,

Gene