1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NHW11 Traction battery autopsy

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by oldnoah, Aug 29, 2010.

1. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For reference: The voltages were taken with a Fluke 87V Digital Multimeter.

The resistance was taken with a Fluke 1503 insulation tester operating at 500 Volts

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent!

From the User's Manual:
    Suggesting 10 megohms is the normal impedance.

So think of the meter as being a 10 Mohm resistor being inserted into a megohm resistance network and batteries. FYI, nice instrument.

Given there are active voltages from the batteries in the circuit, I need to think about this. Trying to measure the resistance of a battery is . . . not trivial. <wink>

Bob Wilson

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the OP is trying to determine which battery module has a ground leak, why not remove both busbars, then use the Fluke 87V to measure voltage from the terminals of each module to the traction battery case.

If you don't measure any voltage then there's no ground leak. Hopefully module 2, 3 and/or 4 will show some voltage from a battery terminal to the case which would prove electrolyte leakage. Or perhaps visual inspection would reveal the leak based upon busbar corrosion nearby.

4. jk450

jk450 New Member

The leakage path is often visible. If it is not, the method you describe is the simplest and fastest way to isolate the leak. It's not a complicated process.

5. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I get to the point where I take the thing apart, I'll certainly consider that and look carefully for leakage/corrosion at that location. But given that the resistance was well within the megOhm range, this seems to be pretty early detection, if it is leaking.

For the time being, I'd like to keep the unit as close to original as possible. When I'm convinced there's nothing left to learn, I'll begin dissassembly.

Speaking of which, I bought two MRC Super Brain 989 chargers for $119 each from A Main Hobby. It'll be a couple of days before they arrive, but my question is: Is there any reason why I can't charge individual modules while the stack is still assembled? Seems like having it assembled would bypass the need for the compression blocks that Bob had suggested. Is there a downside I'm not seeing?

6. jk450

jk450 New Member

You don't need to know battery resistance to find a leak. Leaks are found outside of the module.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is the technique used with the Megger. You don't want the battery voltage impacting the Megger measurement. This sketch might help:

[​IMG]
    The open circuit voltage increases by the voltage of each module or module pair. However, the leak resistance to ground is likely to be high but lower than the 1-10 Mohm impedance of the DVM. The DVM 'resistance' and the leak resistance forms a voltage divider network and the measured voltage will be proportional to the resistance pairs. But the easiest answer is to look for where the sign changes.

In reality, there may be additional leaks to ground of variable resistance values. So it can become somewhat complex. However, every place where the voltage achieves a relative low, absolute value, is likely to be a leak to ground.

Bob Wilson

8. jk450

jk450 New Member

You're right. And once you get up into the megohm range, resistances - especially power to ground resistances - start to act differently than "conventional" resistances. A resistance in the millions of ohms can change by a significant amount from day to day. This makes early detection difficult. All that matters is that the resistance is well above the minimum resistance required to establish adequate insulation.

No, there's no downside.

You might build such a rig if you were tinkering with a single module, and didn't have access to a pack.

9. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered two MRC Super Brain 989 chargers for $119 each. According to the tracking site they won't be here until next Wednesday. I also ordered a ScanGauge II. No tracking info yet.

Right now the car is still mobile with the leaking battery in it, although I haven't driven it more than out of the driveway for a couple of weeks. I'd like to take the cover off and use the megger to look for the leak, and take voltage measurements. Can this be done in the car? Or do I have to remove the unit?

10. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, is the meter in your sketch the megger or the voltmeter? At first I thought it was the voltmeter, but rereading the post it feels ambiguous.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The DVM . . . I'll fix the sketch and repost shortly. (OWCH, I'll have to redraw it but I did include example calculations.)

Unless it uses AC, a megger would not be my first choice in a circuit with active DC voltages. But I only have a cheap, Chinese knock off and keep looking for an excuse to use it. The problem is the DC voltage of the batteries could impact the megger response. I would expect that reversing the leads would give a diffferent result showing the battery voltage bias problem.

The megger would work fine if looking at one terminal but all batteries come with two. If the leak is on the other side, the battery voltage would bias a DC based, megger and reversing the leads would show it.

Bob Wilson

12. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took several measurements this afternoon, and reversed the leads immediately afterward. There appears to be some capacitance that allows the measurement to drift, especially after the leads are reversed, but in each case it stabilized on a reading that was pretty much the same as it had been.

Also, I must have skipped over jk450's link from Luscious Garage, I guess I thought it was just verifying that the megger was an appropriate tool for the job. Given the contents of the article, and that the battery in the car only had the P3009 code, I think I should take that one apart next and clean the terminals. Maybe I can have a functional car again.

1 person likes this.
  13. jk450

jk450 New Member

It's not a matter of choice. Megohmeters are not intended for use on live circuits.

14. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I said before, I ordered two MRC 989 chargers. I'm trying to get a sense of what to expect. I assume that for each module the charger will charge it as fully as possible, then discharge it to a certain level, and recharge it again, to get a measurement of the capacity of the module. Is this correct? How long can I expect each cycle to take?

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Correct. In fact the MRC 989 allows programming of several battery profiles and modes which it keeps. The User's Guide is accurate and with a little practice it becomes easy.

The time depends upon the what you program in as the Ahr capacity. New, our modules have 6.5 Ahr which means 1 hour to do a 6.5 A charge or discharge which is called 1 C. In practice, most folks are using 0.1 C for the conditioning charge/discharge cycle. So for a 6.5 Ahr battery that would be 650 ma. However, our used modules are going to be closer to 2.5 A.

Now an undocumented feature, you can limit the charge put on a battery. Normally it would go from the minimium voltage per cell, 1 V, to the maximum based upon the dV. But it won't charge over ~120% of the capacity entered in the profile (or at least mine won't.) What this means is we can pre-charge the modules to 80% of capacity but I don't see a problem with going to 100% and equalizing the voltage before the assemble pack goes back into the car.

Bob Wilson

16. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you're saying that you want all the modules to have the same voltage, even if that means some of the cells are not at their capacity? Or all the modules should have the same Ahrs?

Also, you have mentioned that you want to build the battery pack so that the modules are matched to each other. Obviously they can't be perfectly matched. What arrangement do you use to prevent the weaker modules from damaging the stronger modules? Or does it not matter as long as all the modules are within a certain tolerance?

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is were I'm at the limits of my 'hands on' knowledge. The literature indicates that a series battery needs to have all cells as close to identical capacity as possible. This means after the survey, the weakest and if exception, the strongest will be left over. The goal is to get them as close as possible but like many things in life, we have to deal with the resources we have.

This is one area where the depot level rebuilders like Re-InVolt can maintain an inventory of surveyed modules. The larger the pool, the easier to pick matched modules for the whole pack. Better still, they've had time for 'lessons learned' which us individuals have to 'cogitate.'

The plot of your bench battery voltages gives a clue:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the self discharge shows a pattern, almost every other one, about one cell low compared to the upper ones. So what makes sense is to rank the modules strongest to weakest then reassemble alternating weak and strong modules from the set that will be used. The battery ECU reports the module voltages as pairs so a weak and strong together should have similar voltage vs charge profiles across all 19 pairs.

In a perfect world, we would charge all of the modules to 80% of capacity and then 'normalize' the voltage for each module to be identical . . . using the MRC 989 to tweak them to as close to identical voltage as possible. Now I'm going to suggest something I've never read about but may solve the problem of equalizing the SOC of 38 modules.

Assemble the pack with the chosen modules making sure all the mechanicals are right and module orientation but DO NOT PUT ON THE BUSS BARS. Get all of the modules as close as practical with the MRC 989 . . . then wire all the positives together and all of negatives . . . one massive, parallel set of batteries. In effect, one massive, six-cell, 38 module battery with 38*Ahr capacity. This will ensure they are all at the same starting voltage, the closest possible to an identical SOC. Let it sit for 12-24 hours to equalize.

Remove the jumpers and install the buss bars on one side. Very cautiously install the second set as you'll have two, ~135 V, lethal packs. Check the sense wires at the connectors to make sure none are broken. Finish reassembly, install in the car, put in the interlock, connect the 12 V and it is time for the 'smoke test.'

Bob Wilson

18. jk450

jk450 New Member

Have you personally carried out this process before? If so, what were the results?

19. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before I read up on the vagaries of charging NiMH batteries, I was going to suggest arranging the cells in this fashion and then putting a charger across the entire battery. Given the overall capacity of the battery, any normal sized charger would be barely a trickle, and it while it would take a long time to charge, it shouldn't cause too much strain on the cells. In retrospect, this might be used to store a number of modules until they can be used, to prevent parasitic discharge, but it doesn't provide any information on the condition of any individual module, and wouldn't prevent a shorted cell from heating up and damaging adjacent cells.

1 person likes this.
  20. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't driven the car for a couple of weeks, since I saw a post that said that a voltage leak could potentially arc and set the interior on fire. (This is the battery with the p3009 code) However, I've been swaying back and forth as to the whether self discharge was worse. I removed the upholstery around the battery, and drove the car last night. The information display showed that the battery charge was low at first, but came up to the max for display as I drove. Today I drove it again, (short distances, both) and it was the same: low charge reported at the beginning, but it came up after a short drive. Also, the Exclamation mark! warning was on last night, but was off today.

I also took a reading at the 12 volt battery. It reads 12.35 V with the car off, and 13.91 volts on.

Hopefully the scanguage will be here soon. I want to pull whatever codes I can out of it before I pull the battery to look for the leaking cells. UPS Tracking says the MRC 989s are out for delivery as of now, so I should start charging cells on the other battery either tonight or tomorrow.