1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NHW11 Traction battery autopsy

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by oldnoah, Aug 29, 2010.

1. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scangauge arrived today. I got the chargers yesterday.

So far, I have just figured out how to use the "quick charge" function, and I figure that since this battery has been self-discharging since July, the most important thing to do is get some charge in those cells. I set the charger to charge at .7 Amps, and currently I'm about 1/3 of the way down the line. I'd appreciate any help deciding on what the best settings are for these cells. There is a setting for mAh, and Bob had said that the modules were good for 6.5 Ahr new, but probably only 2.5 on an older battery. I set this setting for 2500 mAh. I don't understand what difference the setting makes though.

Cells 8 and 11 both came up into the ~7.8 volt range quickly, and the charger reported them "charged" but when I moved to the next cell and measured their voltages, they had dropped pretty quickly. I don't really expect them to survive, but just for kicks, what kind of charge/discharge cycle would you use to try to revive them?

We drove the prius around a bit more today, I had my wife drive while I played with the scangauge. I didn't get too far, but I could see RPM, throttle position (I think), fuel mileage and stuff. So it seems to be working, but I haven't had time to play with any Xgauges. There is still no code present, and the scangauge doesn't see any history of it. How does the car clear a code if no one actively goes in and clears it? Does the ECU hold a history file anywhere?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to the leading edge.

Using .7 A is ~ 1/10 C charge rate is a good conservative rate. Although higher currents can be used, this is pretty much what many battery spec sheets recommend and some may use. Furthermore, getting ~13 modules done is great progress although you do have the advantage of two MRC 989s. You've taken the right approach, get them above their self-discharge voltage. Once they are all 'above the line,' then follow-up with "Auto Cycle" that uses the charge-discharge and survey-cycle the modules.

What I found is the MRC 989 uses the 2500 mAh to set an undocumented over charge limit. From memory, it will limit the total charge to 1.2 * 2500 mAh ~= 3000 mAh. When the charge cycle completes, it should show the amount it charged to. Certainly it does with the Auto Cycle which we'll go over later. BTW, my original source on the 2.5 Ah capacity came from a Dept. of Energy fleet survey of the traction batteries after 160,000 miles and confirmed with the used, battery I'd bought several years ago.

You'll use "Auto Cycle" which does the following:
    1. Initial discharge to 1 V per cell - this just brings the module to a baseline value.
    2. Charge to either dV or 1.2*Ah setting - using .7 to 2 A rates, you'll measure the module capacity. With a high enough Ah setting, the dV (or temperature sensor) will bring the module up to the most it will take. Then the charge cycle stops.
    3. discharge cycle - using .7 to 1 A rates, it brings the module back down to 1 V per cell. Now you have a charge cycle and discharge cycle and the ratio shows how as these modules age, their charge-discharge efficiency falls off.
    4. second cycle - usually pretty much the same as the first, it provides a quality check and leaves the module as fully charged as it can take thanks to the dV trigger.
    5. After the cycles complete, read and record the values - it has to be manually read out and I just record the values in a spreadsheet. In fact I manually record all interesting data in spreadsheets to analyze the curves.
    What happens with a failed module is they get hot. Worse, they never recover. There is a plastic, fiber mat that separates the electrodes. When heat melts the fiber mat, it makes a short and that cell is irreversibly dead and thus the module. Another observation is the failed cells discharge too quickly.

That is what the 9 V battery does. It allows you to keep it powered up and bring it into the house. The bad news is the ~80 ma. draw will drain a 9 V battery quickly but it lets you get the unit into the house and if you'll bare two, offset spots on the 9 V wire, you can 'clip on' a 9-12 V DC 'wall wart' (NOTE: MRC 989 in power supply mode is constant current and does not work well) in the house and take the 9 V battery off. This will give you unlimited time in the house with the ScanGauge in front of w2co and vincent's thread on the codes.

Programming a ScanGauge requires it go through the vehicle OBD bus initialization. This means the ignition ON. Once initialization is done, a few seconds with a message, plug in the 9 V battery and you can remove the ScanGauge from the car and take it inside to finish programming. Then using a 12 V 'wall wart', you can remove the 9 V battery and program as many XGAUGEs as needed.

Vincent's most recent post 'cracked that nut.' He has figured out how to read the three stored code as 'hex' values and manually decode them. The ECU holds these codes until either cleared by an OBD scanner or connecting Ts, pin 14, to ground or disconnecting the 12 V aux battery (but this also clears all trim value.) There is no known 'history file' but just stored codes and some sort of 'snapshot' memory. A history file or better still, a USB thumb drive would be a great enhancement but . . . .

I'm going to recommend three XGAUGEs for the traction battery:
    1. minimum module voltage
    2. maximum module voltage
    3. minimum module ID
    The difference between the minimum and maximum shows how the weakest module(s) are doing. The minimum module ID lets you see if just one or more than one modules are showing the lowest voltages. If it stays on just one, that would be the one most needing replacement.

Bob Wilson

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After testing a 12 V wall wart and two bare areas on the 9 V line, my B+ is on the connector side of the diode, I did the following:
    1. connected ScanGauge to NHW11 - aux battery voltage brought up the display
    2. turned car to ON - this enables the ECUs
    3. ScanGauge shows "Connected"
    4. Plugged in 9 V, sustainer battery
    5. Turned off car
    6. Removed ScanGauge from OBD connector leaving the pig-tail with sustainer battery connected
    7. Went into house and clamped on 12 V wall wart
    8. Entered programming mode: MORE>MORE>MORE>XGAUGE
    9. select the gauge number to EDIT
    10. Edit using the table below
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7
    0 Lowest Battery Block Voltage 82D5F101AE 044145AE 2810 000100010000 Vlo XX.X volts
    1 Highest Battery Block Voltage 82D5F101AF 044145AF 2810 000100010000 Vhi XX.X volts
    2 Lowest Battery Block Number 82D5F101AE 044105AE 3808 000100010000 blo XX
    3 Highest Battery Block Number 82D5F101AF 044105AF 3808 000100010000 bhi XX
    Vincent's table.

Vincent reports that if two XGAUGEs are programmed from the same TXD, only one will display at one time. I'm planning to find out on my morning drive.

The drive in I monitored the Vhi and Vlo which are two separate XGAUGE values. Shortly after pulling out of the driveway, their values 'froze.' A quick unplug and re-plug brought the display back and both values showed nominal, expected values and updates. However, the display was blacking out as if the FUEL>HYBRID had been forgotten. At lunch time, I check to see if this cleared. Also, I changed the polling interval to SLOW after I parked. This is on the hypothesis that if no response comes in fast enough, the ScanGauge decides to blank the display.

Bob Wilson

4. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I've got VHi, VLo and blo programmed in. Likewise, they seem to freeze a lot. How do you change that polling interval?

Looks like blo is usually block, 3, 6, 7, 11, with 7 being the most frequent.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ah yes, the setup. This should not have to be done in the car but if you have a wall wart, you may be able to do it in the house. Vincent and w2co may have some better ideas but this is what I'm using
    • MORE>SETUP>ENGINE>1.5L :: matches car
    • MORE>SETUP>FUEL>TYPE>HYBRID :: keeps display running with ICE off
    • MORE>SETUP>FUEL>TANK SIZE>12 GALLONS :: matches car
    • MORE>MORE>RATE>SLOW :: polling rate, may require car initialization
    There may be other values that Vincent and w2co use. I'm learning the tool too. Regardless, you can see the potential.

This is good because it means the lowest voltage pair is not fixed. I have a similar pattern although more low modules are included. Seeing the low block distribute across a larger number of modules is better. What we didn't want to see is a single module pair reported over and over again. That would be the signature of a failed module.

Now this begins to suggest several strategies:
    1. Fault-isolate the leak to ground in the running car - clear the cause, probably a leak to ground, and return to service.
    2. Rebalance the modules in running car - using Vincent's data as well as per module voltages when the pack is removed, restack the modules to balance the modules so #7 is less frequently the low block and the low block spans a wider range.
    3. Measure capacity of all modules and rebuild the running traction battery with the best matched set of 38 modules.

Now you might consider that you are likely to have 36-37 left over modules and this begs a couple of experimental techniques:
    • traction battery 'topper' - the remaining modules are configured to apply a topping charge to the traction battery after being house current charged. This is a home-made, PHEV.
    • 12 V system topper - a pair of modules in series have a nominal voltage of 14.4 V and the 12 V system normally draws current from the DC-to-DC inverter. A 'gang' of modules configured to supply voltage to the 12 V system would offload the DC-to-DC load, a low-voltage, PHEV system. The NiMH batteries would be charged 'in the house.'
    • Sell the good modules on Ebay for those who want to 'patch' a traction battery with a failing module or experimental purposes. You'll be able to report their Ah capacity and we can even go over how to measure their internal resistance.

Bob Wilson

6. jk450

jk450 New Member

Why not? A healthy battery pack can exhibit that behavior.

In addition, a failing battery pack does not necessarily exhibit that behavior.

However, the OP reports that the vehicle has not run for two years. What does that tell you?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last time I checked, I was the OP. The car reported "uneven state of charge" in July, the traction battery was replaced with a used battery from Xvipers.com. The car was in service for almost exactly one month before it reported p3009, indicating a voltage leak. It still ran, and I used it off and on for a week or two, during which the code went away and came back a couple of times. Then I learned here at PC that a leaking battery can short and ignite the upholtery, so I stopped using it for about two weeks. Then I got nervous about self discharge, with it sitting unused, so I removed the back seat and upholstery (gonna have to do that anyway when I remove the current battery) and tried it again. The code has been gone for several days, and now I'm running with the scangauge, so I will be better equipped to respond when it codes again.

Most of the content of this thread refers to the original battery, which is currently sitting in my garage, and being charged/discharged cell by cell to determine what kind of life it has left. This battery has been out of service since July 4th. Not 2 years.

1 person likes this.
  9. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finished giving all the cells a topping charge last night, and this morning I began auto cycling them. So far module 1 discharged 660 mAh to 6 volts, and is currently charging with 7.98 volts and 766 mAh so far. Module 38 discharged 36 mAh to 6 volts, and is now at 1041 mAh and 8.48 volts.

This high voltage has me a little nervous. I'm trusting the MRC 989 to stop charging with the dV detection thingy, also I set the temperature probe to shut off at 120F. The current temperature on both of these modules is below 70F.

There is also a 20 minute delay between discharge and charge cycles. That is just the setting that came preset into the charger, I'd like to reduce it to speed things up, but without much experience with this I left it alone. I'm discharging at 1 Amp, and charging at .7 amp. Any suggestions as to whether these are good numbers? Are there any other settings I should be paying attention to?

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good conservative numbers and approach.

The RC community is more aggressive with their batteries. The lower end chargers often use battery temperature to cut-off which is pretty abusive. Upon overcharge, an NiMH battery generates hydrogen and oxygen gas and these combine in the battery to generate heat. Needless to say, this is rough so the long delay makes sense. RC hobbists are not always patient.

I set my delay to 1 minute, the minimum, and have not had a problem. With a conservative charge-discharge cycle they should never have excessive heat and need a longer 'cooling off' period.

Other than shortening the delay, these are good conservative numbers. But once they have completed charge-discharge cycles, read out the values from the memory and you'll have the Ah capacity. Then you have options:
    • increase charge rate based upon Ah capacity - higher current, faster charge and the same with discharge. However, you are likely to see more heat.
    • Adjust charge/discharge rates to moderate temperature - once you have some metrics, you'll be able to adjust the currents and monitoring the change in temperature, keep it modest. I typically see a 5C (~10F change from ambient) temperature change in my Prius so that would be a good target.
    Literally, you are at the leading edge. Other than Re-InVolt and possibly a few others, no one else is doing this quality of work in Prius open forums. You are at the same place I am. WELCOME!

Bob Wilson

11. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No sir. I'm reading the scangauge thread and you guys are years ahead of me. I may be in the same field, but nowhere near the same level. Trust me, I'm going to be asking lots of questions.

12. jk450

jk450 New Member

My apologies for the error; I had been reading the thread initiated by lapp, and had confused the back stories in two threads. However, the corrections regarding minimum and maximum voltages still stand.

13. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having a bit of trouble with the MRC 989s auto cycle. This morning I set them to cycle 2 times on two different modules, and watched them for a while. The first one discharged 33 mAhs, then began charging again, the second one discharged 660 mAhs, and also began charging again. Both of them eventually got up into the 8.5 volt range, and still had a lot of charging to go. I watched for a long time, and then decided that it was like watching a pot boil so I left them alone and went away. ~6 hours later I came back, and one of them was on "trickle" and seemed to be done with the 2 cycles, and reported something like 2600 mAh(from memory). While I watched, it restarted and began discharging the module. Not wanting to stop it in the middle of a cycle, (and especially since the mAh reading was not showing the total from the previous charge cycle anymore) I allowed it to cycle again, and went and took a nap. ~3 hours later I checked in on it, and was still charging. I pressed the "-" button, which tells you which cycle you are on, and it said it was in the 2nd cycle. A short while later, it finished charging, this time reading 2810 mAh. I pressed the stop button, and tried to look through the profile history, and 2810 was the only number in this order of magnitude in the history. All the rest of the historical data seemed to be from the topping charges that I had done previously.

So first, it appears that even though I set it to cycle twice, it continued to cycle more than that. And second, it doesn't appear to maintain a history of the charge/discharge from each cycle, only the final one before the stop button was pressed.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is using the 0.7A charge and 1.0A discharge with the 20 minute pause still?

Ok, do the math:
    2.6 Ah / 0.7 A ~= 3.7 hours :: assumes 100% efficiency​
    I prefer to use low values and often the cycles take a day. Now that you have an initial Ah value, it is perfectly OK to change the 'C' charge rate:
    • 1/10 C = 0.250 A
    • 1/5 C = 0.500 A
    • 1/2 C = 1.25 A
    • 1 C = 2.5 A

That seems about right. I found it only saves the value if it completes the cycle, not a running score.

With mine I see two values for each cycle:
    • discharge value
    • charge value
    What I found is a failing module will often show a charge value but the discharge is nearly instant. I've seen this mostly in the self-discharged modules and it is a puzzle.

My hypothesis is that after a sufficiently long self-discharge, the metal hydride loses some aspect of its structure or chemistry. I found one reference that suggested vanadium can pass into solution in the KOH electrolyte. So far, I have not found any way to recover a battery that has passed into this state.

It is a real puzzle: (1) charge appears to follow NiMH profile but with a high voltage, and (2) discharge appears to be nearly instant as if there is no charge there. This is why the recent thread about recovering a traction battery after two years is so puzzling.

There has been one report that a capacitive discharge into the module can recover. Certainly that was true with NiCD cells that formed dendrites. But the risk is to the plastic separator mat. I have this vision of the 'arc' both vaporizing a dendrite and blowing a hole in the separator.

I wasn't kidding when I said you are at the leading edge of our collective knowledge.

For background, you might want to start with the Wiki article:

Nickel-metal hydride battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the more interesting news reports this past year has been development of a high temperature, separator material . . . one that can go over 100 C. It won't help modules built 10 years ago with weak terminals. But it is interesting to see if we can find a solution to this problem.

Bob Wilson

15. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, this morning I woke up, having left the charge on all night, and the both chargers said "END." It might have been nice if the instructions had had a sequence of events so I would have known what to expect. Yesterday when I stopped the charge it was reading "trickle" which is what happened at the end of the quick charges. So maybe I stopped it prematurely and that's why I didn't see the charge and discharge values. Now I see that after the cycle has ended, I need to press "stop" navigate to the "volt" display, and press and hold the "-' key to see the profile history. But again, it only records the final charge and discharge in the cycle, not each charge and discharge.

So what I have so far is:

Module 1 2810 charge (no discharge data, apparently because I stopped it before the cycle ended properly
    Module 2 2810 charge 1975 discharge
    Module 37 2810 charge, 1755 discharge
    Module 38 2217 charge, no discharge data.

So I'm going to want to do 1 and 38 over again, to get the discharge data, and maybe 38 will charge further as well.

In any case, I now have three modules that have charged to exactly 2810 mAh. My guess is that this is somehow limited by the 2500 mAh setting, but how 2500 becomes 2810 I don't understand. I also realize that the one module that charged to 2217 mAh may not have finished its cycle completely, so I guess I will want to go back and repeat that charge. Do I also want to increase the 2500 so that it will try to put more charge in the module? If the 2810 was cut off artificially I'm not really learning the limits of these modules. Or should I change the delta peak setting to something other than 5 mV per cell?

And Bob: I had changed the wait time to 1 minute, and used 1 amp for both charge and discharge.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No argument here!

What version of software? I'm seeing each charge and discharge value.

This is what I'd found, another undocumented 'feature:'
    2810 / 2500 = 112.4% :: I'd remembered 120%, sorry
    Now the other thing is what is the actual battery capacity? IMHO, it is the discharge mAh, not the charge side. What you're seeing the loss of charge-discharge efficiency.

Based upon these numbers, 2-3 A is certainly OK as well as increasing the Ah setting. I see no problem with going to 7000 mAh and letting the dV stop the charge cycle. For grins, record the starting and ending temperature.

GREAT WORK!
    Bob Wilson

17. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do I look to find this?

Also, what is your experience with the Peak mV setting? I'm using 5 mV per cell as suggested by the instructions, but it also says you might want to increase it to 6 for older batteries. What would you expect to change as a result?

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummm, I thought there was a way of checking. No luck.

I've kept it at 5 mV as I don't have enough information to make an informed guess.

Bob Wilson

19. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still here, but it will be some time before I have a complete set of data from the charging cycles I'm doing on the old battery. The cells so far have a wide range of charging behavior. I recorded a few temperatures, but frankly, by the time I get to them after the charging cycle has ended, they are cooled quite a bit. In any case, I haven't seen any module get hotter than 84 F.

I'm currently charging 3 cycles, with mAh set to 7000, charge and discharge are both set at 1.5 A, 5 minute wait between cycles, minimum voltage 1.0 per cell, and 5 mV per cell dV.

I have got the scangauge hooked up (thanks Bob!) and am monitoring a few things in the car (this is with the battery that had been giving p3009 codes a few weeks ago). Notably State of Charge, which is between ~57 and 64.5. Seems like no matter what it won't go over 64.5, even when that's what it's reading and you then descend a looong hill.

VHi and VLo are typically about 0.2 volts different, although I've seen it greater than that, unfortunately I have no way of recording the data while I'm driving. I'm thinking it may have got to 0.5 volts. Also, apparently due to timing issues with the scanner, sometimes VLo reads higher than VHi. Anyway, right now with the battery having rested a couple of hours after the drive home, VLo reads 16.0 and VHi reads 16.2. Seems to me this afternoon I saw as high as 19.0 at one point, I assume that's reflecting the charging voltage, not the cells.

dSC reads 20.0 all the time. I was under the impression that this should be equal to VHi - VLo. But it just sits there, and doesn't look at all like 0.2

bhi pretty much always indicates block 1. blo reads a variety of blocks, but 3 5 6 7 10 and 11 are the numbers I'm remembering. 5 and 7 are definitely most common. Does anyone know what the resolution is on the Voltage measurements?

What is a DTC?

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good deal. I used 100F as my temperature limit.
    This is reasonable. Roughly how far along are you out of the 38?
    You may want to program the traction battery temperature probes. Charging is exothermic and they can get warm.
    The 0.2 V difference is pretty close to what I'm seeing with my traction battery. As long as it is below 0.3 V, you are in good shape . . . other than we need to see about the P3009 eventually.
    I'm not sure what that is. I know some values are read out that are effectively fixed numbers.
    I'm not sure about DTC but it is curious one pair of modules always shows high. We're usually interested in a consistently low pair.

Bob Wilson