1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Nice Ford Plug-In Article

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 29, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Plug-in hybrid owner tops 500 mpg | Local Government | journalstar.com

That was Harish Singh’s goal when he leased the new car three years ago. He wanted to get 101 miles per gallon of gasoline with that plug-in hybrid.

He’s already beat that goal, averaging just more than 500 mpg last year, when he drove about 14,000 miles and filled up at the gas station just once.

Singh is passionate about his car, about using less gasoline and about the joy of owning a plug-in hybrid that gives you the best of both worlds.
    This is the type of articles we need to see in the popular press.

Bob Wilson

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The article is a fanboy article with bad facts.

And he expects people who have conventional hybrids will easily switch to the plug-ins. In fact, plug-in Priuses are outselling the regular Prius, he said.

In what world do plug-in Priuses (sic) outsell the regular Prius?

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sometimes a fanboy article can reach through the fog of non-technical buyers better than sometimes 'splitting hairs' articles.

I am often faced with the simple if imprecise answer vs being more exact if longer with side discussion about the terms. For example, commercials.

The bank robber set was great but 'that will never work' s*cks. The robber commercial highlights the range while the other poorly mocks hybrid skeptics, an inside joke we get but no one else.

Bob Wilson

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    people who buy into 500 mpg will be disappointed when they get their electric bill.:p

*at least if they live in taxachusetts.:(

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    California? :D

6. Sandollars

Sandollars Prius Maven

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not even in California.....

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aww...

Also, if he think the replacement cost of the FFE's battery is $1,000, he'll be in for a surprise. The Prius is around $2k ($2.5 or $3k for a Camry I think?). The larger FFE's battery will certainly be higher - how much? I don't know know but I would definitely budget for $5k (assuming the costs will come down by the time it actually needs replacement many years down the road).

bisco likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a recent battery replacement over 3K.
    Driving without hybrid system???? | Page 2 | PriusChat

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Transmission Repair Cost Guide

Average Cost of Rebuild, Repair, and Replace:
    Transmission replacement is one of the most expensive jobs done by any mechanic. According to Transmission Repair Cost Guide readers, the average cost of transmission replacement ranges from $1800 to $3500.

Cheaper if used transmission . . . just like battery replacements.

Bob Wilson

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    California solar on home or Texas wind are much cheaper than gasoline. Yep Massachusetts's and Connecticut's screwed up electrical market and cold weather makes a plug-in less attractive, but still many want the choice.

The guy is in nebraska, with a GGE of electricity costing about $3.50, or about 3.6 cents/mile on electricity if he gets the epa rating for the fusion phev, but his rate is cheaper and says he is only paying 2 cents/mile. In nebraska using epa 42 mpg for the fusion phev on gasoline we get 5.6 cents. But the big thing he isn't using gasoline, which is important to many people. Sure the 2 cents per mile will take a long time to recover the fusion phev versus a fusion hybrid, but if he enjoys driving it more, and helps reduce america's addiction to oil, all the better.

My guess is after the battery warranty is over, most of these fusion phev owners will either trade it in or if the battery decreases but still works drive it more like a hybrid.

#11 austingreen, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just think, he probably could have gotten an upscale auto stereo system or oversized flashy tires. Fuel efficiency is just another kind of car 'bling' that reduces the operational costs compared to fancy speakers or other car bling.

Bob Wilson

bisco, TomSwift and austingreen like this.
  13. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This story is out of my hometown newspaper. Very happy to see the article as well as it can shed some light on this niche (at least around these parts) world. 2 cents or less per mile is easily achievable with our electric rates here...some of the lowest in the country (around 7 cents per kWh in the winter). Combine that with most of our roads in Lincoln being 35 or 40 mph max and you have a very favorable economic situation for EV's. It's the reason I bought my PiP and now a Leaf.

austingreen and bisco like this.