1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nice quality, aftermarket filter combo...

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by E. Dennis, Dec 23, 2015.

1. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an FYI , for those who do their own maintenance:

SBproducts2010- an eBay vendor, offers a three filter (oil, engine air, and cabin filter) combo for about 15.00 shipped.

Just researched it, ordered it and swapped them out. GREAT quality at a bargain price. All parts are clearly OEM compatible...same fitment, well packaged, good quality

WilDavis likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, great price. thanks!(y)

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Who knows what specs the filters were manufactured to. That is the problem with buying unknown brands. (I often buy part numbers of well known brands who produce parts for the car manufacturer. No sense in paying extra for some repackaging and maybe spray painting a logo on the part. But in those cases I was sure of the exact functional match. )

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2010's close to 60,000 kms now, still on original cabin and engine air filter. The engine filter looks virtually new, the cabin filter, meh: I've blown the dust off it a couple of times. Oil filter I've changed about 10 times now, just buy the Toyota filter when picking up oil, at the dealership. Personally I've got zero interest in saving a buck or two, on once in a blue moon items, that may or may not be following spec.

5. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL

Well, keep blowing off that dust, I guess...

I private buy-and-sell...and sometimes trade...my garage toys fairly frequently. It's an old retired-guy thing, I suppose; tinkering on something and enjoying it---getting bored and selling it. Cars, trucks, several tractors, and many motorbike rebuilds...NEVER had a good aftermarket filter, which I selected; fail.

Receipted regular maintenance on the stuff I tinker with is critical to keeping everything running smoothly, at minimal cost ---and reaps benefits at sale. In this case, 5.00 a filter--installed by yourself-- is clearly a bargain.

I also swap out "synthetic" oil/filter at *gasp* 5k miles.

6. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    How do you define failure in a filter?

I've seen comparison tests done by independent testing agencies and they show marked differences in the amount and size of the dirt particles trapped by a filter.

The difference might not show up on a quickly traded car, I keep mine for 10 years if they are good ones so even some extra and gradual wear can impact my engine.

When a engine replacement costs thousands of times as much as any filter, I want assurances that the oil that is protecting it is as clean as it can be.

I too do oil and filter changes at 5k..and did one initially at 1k too.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the stance of Toyota Canada: 8000 km (roughly 5000 miles) OR 6 months.

8. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, I want k&n for the ice filter, I want Mobil one or equivelant for the other end or the ice filter and I miss the gen2 washable cabin filter

9. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I suggest you look up comparative tests involving the K&N filter before you choose it as the right filter for the job.

Both the test results I've seen would have me specifically not using the K&N air filter.

10. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm skeptical of all "independent" testing. A great majority of the filters now are manufactured in Korea....not China...not Japan...and clearly not US. One can research this at one's leisure.
    Korean produced filters generally have higher quality construction specs than Chinese knock-offs. Again, researched at one's leisure...
    A filter failure, commonly, consists of burst or leakage issues (in the case of fluid filters) such as Fram spin-on filter "failure" allegations several years back. But we're not using spin-on Frams in our discussion--we're using a decent quality cartridge, with an adequate filter material.

Engine air filter failures generally consist of poor fitment or gasket deformation.

Cabin air filter failure is virtually non-existent, as far as I'm concerned....it's light-weight air flow filtering. A properly sized filter...and you're good to go.

So, folks may wish to buy the officially licensed manufacturer filters and maybe have them installed by their dealer. More power to them...it helps keep my local Toyota dealer in the black.

11. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    * When two set of tests coming from two different labs give the same results.
    * When neither has a benefit to gain when the results are as reported.
    * When one filter manufacturer is a constant advertiser in a magazine and it is one of those faulted.

The purpose of a filter is to filter. I come from a background where we changed filter designs and sources to save $20k-$30k engines. I've also published on the web tables of replacement parts for components to enable the actual manufacturer's part to be substituted for the engine manufacturer labeled and up-priced part. Fit, form and function the same.

When you can show me the specs on filtration are the same or better then I'll buy the air and oil filter as replacements.

12. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    Mmmm.... ain't gonna happen, my friend.

We can agree to disagree, I suppose. I'm still skeptical of your comments...and its application to my original prius v filter post.
    I'm certainly not going to to buy and dissect filters...been there with motorbike arguements.

So, don't buy. Go to dealer. Get "toyo-spec" stuff.

13. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    And I clearly remain skeptical of "independent" testing....