1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

nick on oil dipstick, common?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pasadena_commut, Dec 22, 2020.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked the oil for the first time in several months. (Not much risk in being that lazy, the car has only been driven about 150 miles a month lately and has never burned oil.) Two new observations:

The first was what looked like a scratch or nick going straight across the dipstick about 1/3 up from the bottom, only on one side. It was not very deep but I had not noticed it previously on this car (or anything like it on another car). Is this common? Is there maybe a little ledge where the tube enters the engine that might be pressing on the dipstick and cuts into it over time?

The second was that the level was a little hard to read because there was a dry yellowish coating, like a varnish, on the lower part of the dipstick. The oil is still quite clean and so was almost the same color. The coating all came off after a couple of minutes of pulling the dipstick across a paper towel, at which point a clean reading was obtained. It was full right to the top mark. It was about 100% easier to read once that yellow stuff was off though. Dirty oil would not have been so hard to read.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of it, maybe you just hadn't noticed previously.

how many miles on her? a picture is worth a thousand words :)

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious about the brand/weight of oil being used and the change interval?

4. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought it used in 2019 with 115K miles on it. Carfax shows that the first two owners had it serviced usually if not always at Toyota dealers at roughly 5000 mile intervals. It does not say what oil was used. The garage we use changed the oil once using "Valvoline 5W-30". That was just short of 3 months and 400 miles ago though, which is probably not enough time and use to do anything. The car is at around 122K now.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Second that. (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or a thousand posts:p.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The yellow coating on the dip stick is from cheap vat oil. It can be easily removed with 0000 steel wool and brake parts cleaner. As far as your scratch on the dip stick I can't say.

But what I can say is a '70s vintage motorcycle and the transmission dipstick on this bike is nearly impossible to read the fluid level. As such I took the dip stick over to my bench grinder and flattened a section of the dip stick. The new serrations on the dip stick now allow trans fluid to cling to it thereby making reading the oil level effortless. Perhaps a OP did the same thing to your dip stick.

bisco likes this.
  8. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco likes this.