1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nicolas Sarkozy - France turns rightward

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, May 7, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 8 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]437483[/snapback]</div>
    Not ignoring, politely disregarding would be more likely :D

Actually there are lots of editorials all over the place - just open a paper like the NY Times - hate to recommend old would media - but give it a shot.

i am really too busy to do the link thing - having to much fun making friends here.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Typical response... "i'm not too busy to post here and spew my thoughts all over the place, but i can't be bothered to back anything up".

try keeping this in your head: some of us don't buy real papers - why pay for the news from one source when you can get it for free from a variety of sources? Why contribute to deforestation by buying large chunks of paper on a daily basis?

Like i said, i've read a bunch of articles about the man, but can find very little other than opinion to back up your statements...

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 8 2007, 07:17 AM) [snapback]437447[/snapback]</div>
    You seem to have lost your way . . . or maybe just craftily dangling some talk about wine in front of dbermanmd to distract him away from a subject which is apparently painful for liberals to come to grip with.

No wonder your thoughts turned to wine.

Here, let me help you find your way back to your Wine Talk thread. :D
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=30801&hl=wine

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 8 2007, 02:27 PM) [snapback]437638[/snapback]</div>
    do you wake up nasty or does it develop itself over the course of the day? Does eating make it better or worse or have no effect? Is it genetic? Have you tried medication?

If you are not paying for your news - we can tell - try it - its just a few quarters or even look at their websites or go to realclearpolitics.com or do some of your own due diligence.

here is a little heads up - paper is now being recycled kinda like aluminum cans - do you buy cans or bottles? are you really worried about deforestation - when was the last time you planted a tree? did you file your taxes electronically? Paper or plastic from the supermarket?

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 7 2007, 10:28 PM) [snapback]437342[/snapback]</div>
    Not quite. The French thirty-five hours workweek law is much like the forty hours workweek laws in the U.S. If a Frenchman or woman works longer, he or she must be paid overtime. They do have a 220 hours annual limit on overtime, though.

Wikipedia® - France 35-hour workweek

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 8 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]437732[/snapback]</div>
    Craziness - i believe it was an attempt to increase the number of jobs by limiting the time worked. so if you had a business with 8 employees who worked 40 hours .. 320 total hours/week. by limiting to 35 hours per week ... 280 hours ---- the difference of 40 hours of needed labor would require you to hire another worker!

genius!

Pay for 9 workers to do the work of 8 workers. it worked so well, French unemployment is more than twice ours and their economy lags behind those of other European countries.

How does limiting the work week to 35 hours help your economy stay competitive?

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 8 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]437715[/snapback]</div>
    Dr. Berman and I talk about wine all the time. Although we don't always (in fact, to be honest, rarely) agree on politics, we both believe that it is better to find common ground than to call each other names.
    I am sorry to disappoint you- I know that you must take great pleasure in the prospect of liberals in distress. But I truly am not "sufferin' " over the French election. :)

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 8 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]437721[/snapback]</div>
    Here are my answers to your completely off topic questions, designed only to distract from the fact that you STILL aren't posting sources:
    -yes, paper is being recycled... but it still originates from trees. imagine how many more recycled products we could make if we weren't wasting recycled paper on newspapers... That would directly decrease the number of trees cut down for papers.

I don't buy can's or bottles... If i'm having a soda, it's at a restaurant. If i'm drinking a beer, it's almost always out of a keg. go figure.

I actually helped plant a couple hundred of them about a year ago at a friends farm.

I filed my taxes electronically, and had the money direct deposited. I also pay all my bills electronically.

Neither from the supermarket - I go there often enough (it's on my way home from work) that i can get by with a burlap bag i keep in my trunk. and before you ask, here in MN we bag our own groceries, except for the occasional boy scout troop that comes by to make a buck in donations.

I'm not being nasty, just frustrated with your complete and utter lack of respect for someone who only wants you to post your sources so hef can become better informed on a topic he knows little about. Is that really too much to ask? Seriously... i you're stuck on the paper route, at least post the headline and author.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 8 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]437737[/snapback]</div>
    I was not defending the 35 hours work week. I only pointed out that people do not get arrested in France for working more than 35 hours a week.