1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nifong Disbarred!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 18 2007, 09:44 AM) [snapback]464041[/snapback]</div>
    Money helps but is not always the answer, check out the story of "Erin Brockovich" her hard work and deidcation did the job not money.

Wilkdow

2. roryjr

roryjr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 18 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]463971[/snapback]</div>

No, and they never will. Didn't you watch Al run up the Imus fiasco? That's how they get their money. Anytime a white person does something to a black person (obviously whether it is true or not), they get on TV and cry bloody murder. Then people give them money to continue defending them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 18 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]464012[/snapback]</div>
    Please don't. I live in NC but not in Durham. Durham maybe, but not NC. I don't want any of my tax dollars going to fix what a lot of people in Durham demanded.

3. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 18 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]464173[/snapback]</div>
    Apples and organges.

Erin Brockovich worked for a personal injury attorney that took a class action case on a contingency fee basis. None of the plaintiffs paid a dime out of their pockets for the suit. The attorney fees were paid as a percentage of the settlement. In the Duke case, the parents of the wrongfully accused players had to pay for their criminal defense. Big difference.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 18 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]464283[/snapback]</div>
    The employee (Nifong) and the employer (NC) should be held liable for the students' damages. The school can probably cancel any program at any time at its discretion. Interesting how these same people won't divulge the names of the CONVICTED cheaters. The only reason the case was tried in the media is because it wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in a real court. The only thing Nifong is sorry about is that he got busted.

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 18 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]464097[/snapback]</div>
    College towns that have a lot of working class people around also have another "prejudice"; the townspeople resent the antics of privileged young people drinking and carousing around the town. So Niphong's appeal could have been to the anti-student sentiment that's there. (You would know more of the local scene than I; I'm just guessing).

Niphong should be prosecuted in whatever way is normal for this type of offense ("prosecutorial misconduct", right?) I don't know what is usually done, but I doubt that there is jail time involved for it. Being disbarred and liable for civil suits is probably the extent of it.

I did see where Duke has made a financial settlement with the students who were wrongly accused. Its interrupted their college years, but there are hopeful signs that their lives 10 years from now will be based on the choices they make, and not based on the overriding power of the state being able to steamroll them.

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 18 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]464283[/snapback]</div>
    Apples and Oranges? I agree and that's why I used it. The defendants in the Duke case had money and were acquitted, according to you only because they were able to afford expensive lawyers. In the Erin Brockovich case she took a legal action that scores of other attorneys turned away from and won a substantial verdict against a well funded opponent. All the while she and the firm she worked for had little if any money and they almost ended up bankrupt. So it’s not always money that wins the victory in court it’s more ability and hard work than anything else. BTW, it was not a Class Action Law Suit until she had done the hard dirty work and discovered all the other people harmed by PG&E’s actions. In addition the fees (monetary rewards) were not paid (most of them anyway) until the law suit and all the appeals were adjudicated and decided in favor of the plaintiffs, a process which took a substantial amount of time. You can have the expensive lawyers I'll take the ones with ability and dedication any day.

Wilkdow

7. ivfarmboy

ivfarmboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mick @ Jun 18 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]464134[/snapback]</div>
    Whatever happened to the stripper? Did she get punished somehow?

What made me sick about this is all the politicians running for President went to the Womens' basketball teams hometown that Imus insulted BUT none went to the Duke boys dropping of charges, happened same time. Sad day for American politics. I think Obama could have done a lot for his cause had he gone to Duke and stood by those kids as they got off. But that would have taken guts and that aint what our politicians have much of. They just like to talk a good talk and let us spill our guts for them. Wake up or you have no excuses...

8. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 19 2007, 02:38 AM) [snapback]464520[/snapback]</div>
    And, I'll visit you in jail! :lol:

Just as in other professions, the good lawyers are usually the expensive ones. It is a free market, and the best can charge higher fees for their services. It is supply and demand. Why do you think a high profile defendants like OJ hired the "Dream Team", rather than leaving his criminal defense to a public defender?

I know what you are trying to say, but when push comes to shove and you are facing jail time, you are going to hire the best attorney you can afford. For some, their pocketbook just isn't going to be able to afford the kind of representation they need.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 18 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]464404[/snapback]</div>
    The United States Supreme Court has held that public prosecutors have absolute immunity from civil liability regardless of allegations of malice.

Imbler v. Pachtman, District Attorney

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 19 2007, 06:58 PM) [snapback]464936[/snapback]</div>
    There is a difference between allegations of malice and the actual proof of the conduct of malice. He is at risk for sure, and this would easily go to the SCOTUS if it makes it that far.

Nifong should be jailed and be made an example of (like he tried to do to those INNOCENT boys - they faced 30 years in prison for a crime Nifong KNEW they did NOT commit), the NC laws changed, along with rape laws in general -- for IMHO the plaintif holds significant responsibility here too and should pay a price for her conduct.

Where is Sharpton, Jackson, the Politicians, etc, etc.

BTW - Duke settled with the boys - i wonder what they got. It must of been MILLIONS and MILLIONS. Now all Duke has to do is take care of those 88 professors that disgraced themselves and their employer - they should also be made an example of.

Too bad the press is not treating Nifong, Duke and the 88 Profs the same way they treated the lacrossed players! They should be made to feel how the boys felt for all that time - being dragged through the mud, their names ruined, being presumed guilty (in this case, we know nifong, duke and the 88 ARE guilty), etc.

11. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 20 2007, 07:58 AM) [snapback]465125[/snapback]</div>
    Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are the jokers in a deck filled with race cards. They are complete hypocrites because they always ask us to not rush to judgment when a crime is committed by a black, but are the first to condemn two white college students who were wrongfully accused. I guess "innocent until proven guilty" only applies to blacks in their eyes.

Also, I hope that Duke paid the two boys with the salaries of the 88 professors who openly proclaimed their guilt despite not having all of the facts. I thought academics were always searching for the truth...

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 20 2007, 04:58 AM) [snapback]465125[/snapback]</div>
    Berman,

First read the United States Supreme Court opinion which I cited in its entirety and then comment. The conduct in the Imbler case was as egregious as anything that Nifong did.

Perhaps you are better off sticking to the practice of medicine than venturing into law as an amateur. :p