1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nintendo Wii

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by slair, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "kudos to Nintendo for finally making a backward compatible system"
    Wha...Wha...What?

You mean I can play the old school mario cart on this thing?

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I highly recommend component cables so you can get 480p on your plasma/lcd. The difference vs 480i is quite noticeable and pleasing in 480p. Excite Truck definitely shines in 480p. Get the component cable off eBay, or monoprice.com... they have it for $6.40 now.

3. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Another question about the Wii: can somebody who owns one please take a look at the power supply and tell me if it is US voltage only (110V/60Hz) or multivoltage (110-240V 50/60Hz)? Since I'm currently living abroad and could potentially move around a lot that is kinda important to me.

Thanks,
    Bill

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jul 19 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]481693[/snapback]</div>
    Yep... the Wii accepts the 6" Wii discs or the 4" (?) GameCube discs. On the edge of the Wii are two door flaps that open to expose 4 GameCube controller ports and 2 GameCube memory cards. You need to use the GameCube controller to play GameCube games.

You can also download a selection of classic games from NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx16 with the Virtual Console through the WiiShop channel. They range from 500 points to about 1000 points, depending on the platform. 100 points = $1. They are adding more games all the time... B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jul 20 2007, 01:15 AM) [snapback]482051[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. It's just too bad that the Wii is not HD. Ah well, considering it is like half the price of the PS3 or xbox 360, I'll take fun over graphics anyway... :lol:

5. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wii can display 720p. With the component cables of course.
    Virtual console is so awesome. I can finally play all my childhood games all on one console. I have all the zelda's, mario's, streetfighter's, and others. Though the Wii dosent have a hard drive, it does have sufficient built in memory. I have all my game saves, like 10 virtual console games, some pictures, extra channels like "everyone votes" and I still have way more space.
    Wii play - TANKS!!! soo fun. hahaha. Its the only game I play on that disk.
    Redsteel - eh, its ok...
    Zelda: twilight priness: best game for the Wii so far until mario kart and super smash bro's come out.
    Splinter cell double agent: pretty fun in single player, very fun in multiplayer!
    I havent played harry potter yet, but I'll put it on my rent list.

Has anyone tried Mortal Kombat yet? I cant ever get it at blockbuster, and I dont want to burn $50 if it sucks for the Wii.

6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Jul 20 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]482381[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the Wii can only display 480p, unfortunately. <_<

Wii Specs

Although it does not have an HDD, it does have 512MB of Flash memory, which is pretty spacious. The nice thing about the Virtual Console is that you only have to buy the games once - if you delete a previously purchased and downloaded game, you can download it again for free. The flipside to this, is that you cannot transfer your Virtual Console games to another Wii console. <_<

It's also a nice unit for surfing the net in front of a group of people. YouTube works very well on the Wii, though the Opera browser seems to have problems with long YouTube videos. :huh:

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jul 20 2007, 06:45 PM) [snapback]482500[/snapback]</div>
    Heh heh... very interesting. I hadn't seen that before.

Glad to see Nintendo is taking the next big step in online play with Mario Kart for the Wii;

Mario Kart Wii

Now, it would just be nice if they would announce the plans for Animal Crossing... I am eager to see what they will do with that game, especially if they leverage the WiiConnect online play... B)

There are a few skimpy Animal Crossing details on Wikipedia but nothing firm yet from Nintendo, not even a release date. <_<

9. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just rented Need for speed: Carbon. Its really fun. Its a good game to play while we wait for Super smash brothers.

10. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm a wii-er, but haven't figured out the internet part yet, it's still new for me.

11. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just rented:
    Harry potter - wife wanted it, but she said its boring. I havent played it yet.
    Pokemon - Unless you have a DS and play pokemon on it, this game is useless
    Mortal Kombat - regualar mortal kombat, just ported over for the wii. Kinda dumb on the wii.

12. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just rented:
    Harry potter - wife wanted it, but she said its boring. I havent played it yet.
    Pokemon - Unless you have a DS and play pokemon on it, this game is useless
    Mortal Kombat - regualar mortal kombat, just ported over for the wii. Kinda dumb on the wii.