1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Nio China 200 mi EV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would say that 200 is quite good and would be satisfactory to most needs, however range fear may occur no matter what the number. For some 1000 miles may not be enough. That’s the one big advantage the hybrid has over the BEV. Plus the Prime has a nice charge mode while driving, to be used on the way home.

#61 Andyprius1, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  2. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Texas influences are, I'm sure, a good thing.

I haven't been to Harbin in about 25 years, but it was an interesting place. And I have a disproportionately-large number of friends from there: I don't know why. I've also got a few Australian friends whose Russian parents or grandparents left Harbin for Australia.

I got a lot of Russian food over Russian Christmas last year, from the parents of a soon-to-be sister-in-law. I was pleasantly surprised.

3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    哈尔滨 has become a lot more generic big-city in flavor than it used to be. But it hasn’t lost its flair yet, best I can tell from what my wife has told and showed me in photographs, and from what I saw in 2005, 2006, and 2009. She’s been back there much more often than I have (some of us have to work, ya know!).

iPhone ? Pro

4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does sound like it's still quite different to a lot of other big Chinese cities. Still, Chinese cities do have more variation than, for example, medium-sized British cities. The main shopping street of every British town and city of a certain size is pretty much identical.

And it still sounds nice. Winter sounds brutal, though: I'm not sure I'd cope.

Those contrabassoons don't blow themselves.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Once upon a time there was a user "everybody" who knew everything.

Bob Wilson

6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Sadly, learning Chinese and my real job (Computer Engineering) ensure that I rarely get to play my contrabassoon... 8 1/2 years to retirement!

iPhone ? Pro

7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to explain to your wife that the best place to learn Chinese is 啤酒大学. What I learned there far outweighs what I learned in Cambridge, Leeds and Tianjin. Truly, for spoken language at least, it is the greatest of all universities.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I could never make a bassoon 'go' and was not allowed near a contrab.

Tubas are easier. Or Didgeridoos - 2 dimensional tubas.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Didgies and termites - nah, let's talk about cars with electrical motors.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Or grammar.

disproportionately-large@62. After 'ly' is exactly where compound-adjective dash does not appear. My like will arrive shortly no doubt.

hkmb likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well this is a better technical source:
    Green Car Congress: NIO launches ES8 battery-electric SUV; battery rental and swapping; NIO Pilot; base price $67.7K

[​IMG]

The ES8 achieves more than 500 kilometers (311 miles) of range when constantly run at 60 kph,

60 kph = 38 mph

The ES8 is the first car to have an all-aluminum body and chassis featuring aerospace grade 7003 series aluminum alloy, enabling a high torsional stiffness of 44,140 Nm/deg. NIO says that the ES8 features the highest amount of aluminum for any mass production car.

Bob Wilson

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    all-aluminum @71. Well, ain't that a thing? Making a not-so-expensive car I mean. Has NIO found a way to reduce costs of working with Al? That could reshape the vehicle market.

But then again, crash testing. Drive appliance and you might encounter an immovable object. Or worse a big heavy steel one heading t'other way.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Aluminum and Texas. It was for me a transcendent experience to visit Mooney; makers of small, fast airplanes. Their 'crash structure' is steel alloy tubes much like serious bicycles of -30 years. But everything else is Al.

14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps among you Yankees with your doodle-dandy attitude to hyphens.

But in Britain, it's as follows:

• This thing is disproportionately large.
    • We are talking about a disproportionately-large thing.

You can get away without a hyphen in case 2. But generally you would use one.

I shall give you an unearned like nonetheless.

Here in Australia, of course, hypen/em-dash usage is different again. The same sentences would use multiple em-dashes if they were to be posted on a PC forum outside of FHoPolitics. They would be written as follows:

• This thing is f---ing big, mate.
    • We are talking about a f---ing big thing, mate.

#74 hkmb, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not necessarily weaker, is it?

And while it's more expensive, it should be doable, especially in a car as expensive as the Nio. The Audi A8 has long had an aluminium body and quite a lot of aluminium chassis components, and so did the last of the traditionally-shaped Jaguar XJs, if I remember rightly.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I di'n't make the ly rule; I just learnt it. I am all eyes to have presented a hoity-toity example of British ly-ing.

Examples including effing in any way, shape or form might not clear that hoity-toity bar.

I am also economical with my commas. Supposing that one is born with a lifetime allocation. Not a gonna squander my last few here!

17. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like the hundreds of thousands of people who studied English under the Southern England education board in the 1970s who think that, when faced with a difficult choice, they have a dilemna*. They didn't make the rule; they just learnt it.

Except of course that your rule isn't wrong; it's just optional.

*Honestly. Typo in the English textbooks that somehow took root.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Here we might ascend to structural engineering. Best aluminium* alloys are closer to steel than to tofu, but not by all that much. Piecewise; aligning mass to anticipated harmful forces is first. But then after, F needs to be connected to G and H and all those others. That is not simple spot-welding as for steel. You gotta join bits via 'alt-atmosphere' torch work and all high-end cars do what must be done.

But perhaps I misunderstand here; is not the NIO (our topic) presented as a lower-cost vehicle?

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The second article also has an embedded YouTube that is an obvious USA market commercial. Perhaps this will be more successful than some of the other Chinese ventures. Very few get everything right the first time. We'll see.

Bob Wilson

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Gotta take a nap but structural adhesives have significantly advanced. Also, plastic bending of aluminum can absorb a lot of collision energy. Then there is that trick of blending fibers like carbon in the aluminum.

Bob Wilson