1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan and Renault sell 200k electric vehicles worldwide

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Nov 27, 2014.

1. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So Toyota is going to sell tens of thousands of Mirai in the coming years but they still refuse to sell the PiP where I live after many years. Something just seems out of touch here.

Trollbait, Ashlem and bwilson4web like this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Generalized projections are the stating of target, not a goal. Both are important, but the purpose certainly isn't the same. There's a big difference. One is giving direction, a clarification of intent. The other is a specific milestone to achieve.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You already know what Toyota intends to do with PiP's next-gen offering?

Understanding why they didn't advance the rollout of the current offering is a simple matter of looking at the rest of the plug-in market. Sales are a struggle and the supporting infrastructure is still in the early stages.

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No, I actually do not.

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That position MIGHT hold water for a BEV. But for a very short range PHEV?
    The only needed infrastructure is a 110 outlet in the garage.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many times can you guys have this go around?:cool:

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Infrastructure means everything... from hardware to the understanding of it.

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I watched this today. His trip was all about charging. #9 Tesla Model S videos: Europe road trip 2014 part 1 by Bjørn Nyland 64,440 views

#48 Sergiospl, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question! This is the first time I recall John using insufficient charging infrastructure for the reason the PiP hasn't been rolled out nationwide. So it was a new angle to me.

austingreen and bisco like this.
  10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Getting old, eh? I stated consumer understanding so many times, it's difficult to know how to respond.

Over and over and over again I've been pointing out how a PLUG-IN HYBRID operates and the confusion people have mixing it up with other offerings. Notice all the messages I've posted stating the benefits of EV-BOOST mode? Remember all the arguments started by others in response, where they said rollout nationwide would help overcome that?

Infrastructure is far from engineering alone.

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So now you are equating "consumer education" with "lack of infrastructure"?
    That is quite a stretch John.
    It would probably help people understand you if you were less vague in your statements.

austingreen and Trollbait like this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Arguing semantics is a key sign that constructive discussion has been lost. Call it whatever the heck you want. That won't change the reason.

As for being vague, read what I actually post, not what term is being used. Goodbye.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Prius PHV has been out for 3 or 4 years now. Toyota stated that national roll out was to be about 18 months, in June, after initial release. As with Volt fans, Toyota faithful gave rationalizations on why it was OK that results didn't live up to Toyota statements. Some of them were reasonable in light of the expectation of a redesigned Prius arriving soon. But the next Prius was pushed back a year, and the next PPI a year beyond that. If Toyota made a statement about the PPI getting national rollout then, if wasn't very vocal.

There is no excuse for Toyota not offer the Prius PHV in more states beyond that they don't want to sell it. There can be complaints about a lack of 'infrastructure' or that the public doesn't know what a plug in hybrid is, but those can be addressed by putting the car in front of them. GM offered the Volt nationwide since early in its release. Doing so let's them define what a plug in hybrid is to the greater public.

Zythryn likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Relatively speaking though, the plugin's are just getting started. The real competition for the Leaf looks like it's going to be the Kia Soul EV. The dealers can hardly keep them on the lots. More range than the Leaf, more battery thermal management, more tech goodies, and competitively priced. Competition is a good thing;
    [​IMG]

I'm not much on the 'Hello Kitty' color combos they do 'em in ... but other than that ... not too shabby!

F8L and Zythryn like this.
  15. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was just going to say it's too bad we don't get the Kia Soul EV here. I then looked at the Kia UK website and you know what, they sell it! You'd never have known. I thought I was fairly upto date on EV news, but this passed me by. I wonder if they're taking a leaf out of Fords book in that they don't tell anyone and when they barely sell any they can just sweep them under the carpet.

All New Kia Soul EV - Small City Electric Car | Kia Motors UK | Kia Motors UK

Bit pricey here though. It costs as much as a high end Leaf and not far off the BMW i3. Which would you choose?

16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Soul EV is supposed to have a greater range than either, so I would, and may, pick the Soul EV once it is rolled out nationwide.
    It isn't yet available here in MN.
    I look forward to testing it out. I need more range than the Leaf gives, but I would like something more efficient than the Tesla.

17. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The EU range rating for the Soul EV is 132 miles which compares to the Tesla S at 215 miles (60 kwh) and 285 (85kwh).

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Being able to hold back on further rollout was part of the design, hence it being a package option.

Just being that reason isn't liked, that is still valid reason. Whether you call that an "excuse" or the market is labeled as "infrastructure" makes no difference. The design included that flexibility to change on-the-fly, a very important part of profitable business.

What I don't understand is how some just plain don't want to accept that. Refusing to acknowledge the upcoming next-gen and Toyota's reason to just focus resources on that later instead isn't constructive. It's good business to be flexible.

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nissan CEO: Range Is "Off the Table", Claims "More Than 400 KM" For LEAF In A Few Years

Even if there is no "breakthrough" just tiny advances are dropping cost about 7%/year. That means that the battery in 150 mile leaf will cost nissan less than the 2011 battery before 2022 (eight years from now). Volume is not dropping as fast so more room needs to be designed in, but that is the article about 300 wh/kg or less than half the weight is very likely.

Japan Plug-In Car Sales Weaken Slightly In October
    Leaf is doing much better in the US than Japan, and with all that cash for fuel cells in japan, I think Nissan is wise to look to the US market for plug-in profits. That may mean doing a erev phev also.

20. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think we're privy to the myriad of problems that come with changing technologies. I'm sure many companies are committed to making it happen, and they are the ones doing the heavy-lifting for sure.

austingreen likes this.