1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Nissan e-power

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jan 22, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks to @Rmay635703 for this find:
    This sounds to be a true, serial hybrid like our BMW i3-REx. I was going to post a comment under the source article when I realized how poorly informed they are.

Here is a better source:
    http://www.autonews.com/article/20180121/OEM05/180129955/nissan-epower-us-popular-in-japan

Saikawa said that every Infiniti that appears in or after 2021 will either be a full electric vehicle or have an ePower powertrain.

The technology reached the market in Japan as a powertrain option on the Note in late 2016. But in 2017, its first full year of availability, it had a 65 percent take rate on the car, Klein said.
    . . .
    The system is essentially a range extender in which an electric motor propels the vehicle at all times. A battery provides the power for the motor. A gasoline engine is used to charge the battery when necessary.
    . . .

My experience with our BMW i3-REx is it has more battery than needed with a 0.64l engine that needs thermodynamic optimization, Atkinson cycle, cooled exhaust recirculate, and control law improvements. Improving the engine efficiency and control laws should bring the gas MPG up to mid-40s and sacrificing some of the 72 mile EV range would work. Add more aerodynamic tricks and we'd have a much improved, balanced, plug-in hybrid.

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.autonews.com/article/20171114/OEM05/171119883/nissan-tests-versa-note-e-power-hybrid-for-u.s.
    It appears that ePower could have a big plug-in battery, or simply be a standard hybrid with engine simply powering a generator that charges a battery or provides power to the electric motor(s) directly.

In this mode of constant rpm hooked to the load of a generator, and excess power charging the battery there is no need for variable valve timing or any egr, let alone cooled egr. I would build a cheap as possible engine, with thin walls (its low rpm so it doesn't need strength) valved for the most efficient atkinson cycle (probably around 40% thermal efficiency with drops in generation to motor or charging the battery). My guess is the engine is very inexpensive and provides around 35 hp. This would likely be fine for city mpg, but the prius hsd though more expensive would be more efficient at higher speeds. Having a bigger battery and a plug though would make it more efficient on the highway than the prius.

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Asides this new innovation in the note, what happens at highway speeds with a lot of cargo loads in the rear, and all that, considering the engine only charges the battery pack, in order to discharge at the electric motors powering the wheels.

The engine is just a 1.2L one.

I don't think this car would be reliable during such long distance trios, except maybe advantageous in the cities.

My quess is that this would only work, if those electric motors have huge kWh in them.

Dxta

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sharing some thoughts:
    • 'constant rpm' - not really required since optimum performance can be achieved with a wider power/rpm range. We've seen this in the Toyota Prius papers.
    • 'variable valve timing and any egr' - the variable valve timing probably is important for a wider power band at peak efficiency. However, EGR is critical for reducing throttle losses and reducing combustion temperatures to reduce NOx generation.
    • 'provides around 35 hp' - the BMW 647 cc engine produces ~34 hp and it can hold 70 mph. IMHO, 45-50 hp would be a better target for the USA market which the 1.2l should handle.
    These are not major differences as much as my BMW i3-REx and Prius Prime 'lessons learned.'

Bob Wilson

5. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How simple is that?
    HSD - 1 ICE, 2 MG
    E-Power - 1 ICE, one Motor, one generator, one starter

6. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm facepalming at the TTAC article's comments.

The Note E-Power has a 58 kW/78 hp engine (at 5400 RPM), and the traction motor produces 80 kW/108 hp. It'll spin that engine up if you need it:

Seeing how you're only getting about 22 kW from the battery, due to its size, you do need a fair amount of engine power to make up the difference.

Charging and discharging the battery at the same time is something that's completely nonsensical, and it doesn't actually happen. (It's just that it'll supply power to the traction motor alongside the battery, or the battery may take power from the generator.)

For long distance trips, the 1.2 should be fine, even if it's not ideal - it's making more power than the 1.5 in the (very much competing) Toyota Aqua/Prius c, and there's plenty of smaller engines asked to do a lot more in forced induction applications. However, that's not what this car has been optimized for - it's optimized for Japanese road conditions, which involve strict 100 km/h/62 mph speed limits, and lots of much slower city operation.

I don't see a starter motor in any of the overview images of the powertrain, and it wouldn't need one - the generator could be used as one. So, this system is simpler in terms of design and number of components than Toyota's hybrid powertrains - the generator and traction motor have to be bigger, as does the inverter assembly, but there's no actual power split gear set, and the control laws can be simpler (no need to worry about MG1 overrevving, as its speed is directly related to engine speed, without the MG2 speed component).

Efficiency is reduced from two (maybe three) factors - more losses due to the purely serial hybrid system, and the engine is a conventional Otto-cycle engine AFAIK. (The third possible factor is aerodynamics - AFAIK the Note is taller and probably higher Cd than the Aqua/Prius c.)

Trollbait and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  7. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang! That thing is actually pretty fast. Holy smokes!

8. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    About 9 seconds to 100 km/h it looks like, that's considered slow by modern American standards, but it's faster than any stock Prius...

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    #9 bwilson4web, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One pedal driving:

Bob Wilson

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Constant rpm makes it less expensive to make efficiently. This was the original idea of the generator for the ev-1 serial phev. Agree completely that variable rpm doesn't cost much more, but then you will likely need variable valve timing on the intake valves to stay efficient, and a slightly more expensive generator that is efficient. Probably the least expensive efficient rpm range is 1500-4500 which will probably provide about 2.5x range of power at peak efficiency.

Do you have throttling losses in a serial phev (or hybrid) when excess power from the generator charges the battery, and the ice is kept cool by not operating outside a range. In a constant rpm/constant power application this will probably gives something like a valve timing and compression to give a 12:1 compression stroke/ 14:1 expansion stroke and stoich fuel mix + slight enrichment for the cat to work. There aren't throttling losses, in fact the ice/generator combination doesn't even react to the throttle, only the battery level. Make it variable rpm, but still loaded by a generator or psd with variable late intake valve closing, and the ice will react to the throttle, but it can be kept at a full generator load to charge the battery with no throttling losses. Higher rpms will likely have a smaller range of compression strokes (late intake valve closing) to stay in efficient and low polluting without egr. The engine may run so cool that variable lift on exhaust valves and/or catalytic converter electronic warm up is required for proper operation of the catalytic converter.

The 0.65 liter bmw rex produces 38hp@4800 rpm with on premium fuel. BMW also specifies it gets 25kw or 34hp at its torque peak of 4300 rpm, which is probably where it limits the rex for most duty. All things being equal a 1.2l 3cyl will be more efficient and have better nvh at 2500 rpm than a 0.65 2 cyl at 4300 rpm especially if they are producing the same power and driving a well specified generator. The prius engine alone ways about 220lbs, the rex addition with fluids, mounts, tanks, and pollution control weighs 270lbs. My guess is a 1.2l 3cylinder generator plus all accompanying additions will add about 325 lbs to a bev or about as much as 30 kwh of hours of batteries. My guess is if you limited it to 1500-4500 rpms and based it off an existing 3 cylinder design, it would not cost anymore per unit than the bmw low run engine. Nissan produced a tiny (88lb -500 mm tall x 400 mm long x 200 mm wide), 1.5l 3 cylinder engine producing 400 hp for f1 experimental car. The bmw rex addition adds less than $4000 to the cost of a car, and I bet nissan could do it for less ;-) If you limit such an engine to 4500 hp and create a stroke for 14:1 expansion but have to limit compression to about 10.5:1 at high rpms to stay cool and efficient, then it probably would produce a peak of 60hp, using nissan's existing engine. Nissan also has an existing version that is supercharged using miller cycle producing 97hp. Either would work better than the i3-rex is such an application, with the miller cycle variant being used when you need more power for the vehicle, but likely you would switch to a more efficient electrical supercharger from a mechanical one in a phev application. A more expensive more efficient engine might be made from the skyactiv-x with spark controlled compression ignition with a 1.2 liter producing about 120 hp peak, but lean burn allowing for much more efficient power under 40 hp.

12. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's amazing how few of these announcements come to fruition. must be good pr.

RCO likes this.
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yea . . . . made me wonder .... is this an attempt by Nissan to keep land barges (albeit more efficent ones) in the game?

16. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To be entirely fair, it sounds like they're not aiming to add that much power. They're talking about matching their current 2.5 liter, which is making on the order of 170-180 hp (or about 125-135 kW).

One thing to keep in mind is that the fastest speed limits in Japan - and those are strictly enforced - are 100 km/h, or 62 mph. Everyone drives a lot slower.

So, a solution meant for never going faster than 100 km/h, and with gentle acceleration at that, will have trouble with European or American roads, where cruising speeds are often 130 km/h (81 mph) or faster, with hard acceleration to get merged.

If they're going to put this in something like an Altima or a Rogue (which are common classes in the US), targeting 170-180 hp is about right.

RCO likes this.
  17. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    More tidbits on the epower

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/nissan-teams-with-ceres-for-future-fuel-cell-tech-for-evs/amp/

But this time tied to the ebio fuel cell

Next our favorite shovel writer TTAC is mentioning Epower needs to beef up and Infinity before coming here in this brief undescript blurb

Before e-Power Makes It Here, Nissan First Has to Send It to the Gym - The Truth About Cars

The note still sells well in Japan at least

Nissan Note is Japan’s number one car during 2018 H1, updates unveiled | Between the Axles

And lastly epower 4wd

2019 Nissan Note e-POWER 4WD – Video | DPCcars

#17 Rmay635703, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nissan finished up a test program in Brazil using their fuel cell in a NV220e; their little work van with the Leaf's drive train(though it has a fan for cooling). There is a thread here about them freezing FCEV development, but this news means they are actually subcontracting it out.

The idea of making BEVs, but offering a range extender in the form of an ICE or fuel cell, is how I see future personal cars going.

19. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base