1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan EV Focus Group

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jan 4, 2013.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    I (and darelldd) will be attending a focus group led by Chelsea Sexton that will have its initial meeting at Nissan World HQ in Yokohama the 22-24 of Jan. There we hope to give insight to Nissan on how best to market the LEAF. It should be readily apparent to most that Nissan has a pretty good product that has gained the traction it should have.

Now part of that is price which has been addressed by moving manufacturing operations to the US, but the other is still a lot of misconceptions concerning EVs and Nissan's failure to get the right information out.

Also want to get some questions answered or at least some insight as to the decision making process that went into what was and (more glaringly) was not included in the LEAF

anyone have a question, comment or concern you would like me to bring up?

2. gasmiser1

gasmiser1 EV Wantabee

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    [quote="DaveinOlyWA, post: ........
    anyone have a question, comment or concern you would like me to bring up?[/quote]

---------------------
    Ask: What is the status of the EV sports car concept named: ESFLOW?? I'd love to add this EV by Nissan to my Collection. We have 31,000 trouble free miles now on our LEAF ;-) I really desire an EV sports car without a back seat(no kids in our family).

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ESFLOW was a concept car and not sure it will ever be marketed as it was presented back in 2010. I am guessing that when the EV thing takes off, Nissan will present a full line. due to the popularity of the Tesla Roadster, I am guessing a high end niche is something that will be investigated.

gasmiser1 likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    After reading on MNL about how Chelsa's questions (forwarded from owners who were screaming about their various/numerous issues) were not addressed. Because of that, I am SO glad I didn't make the trek over there to attend. What a disappointment, even though there was a miniscule amount of favorable progress made. The issues' constipated rate of progress towards fixes is exasperating. But what can one do ... for the money, the Leaf still remains the only game in town for EV's.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Ya, a lot of effort gathering questions to ask for naught but at least there was the 2013 to look at which i would have gone just for that had it been a few quick charves away. But the Yokohama meeting is 3 days so the questions will be presented

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you provide details and what you wanted the answers to be.

What are your big issues with the car?

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Disagree, although it is one of the few games in town.
    It also depends what you mean by 'for the money'.
    However, the first alternative that comes to mind is the Mitsubishi MIEV.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Here's the list she had from owners:

The list was ignored. My particular pet peeve was/is the issue of battery / warranty work. It's been made clear that "still-good, but used" cels will be inventoried and made into warrany replacement packs. So ... how crappy can used cels be? No one's saying. Second in line of importance for me is/was WHY can't Nissan be as forward with their (largest market) So. Cal. QC infrastructure as Mitsubishi is. Mitsu's headquarters not only has a half dozen L2 spots (run by big ol' PV solar array) at their corporate office, they generously allow free Leaf usage. The Nissan Corporate locations here in So.Cal? (crickets) Geez - that's so embarrasing. But like I say - one can't complain too loud. For the money - their offering is the only game in town.

austingreen likes this.
  9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Nissan has botched the warranty. They did recently give an express one for 5 years for depleted packs, that it sounds like in the near future will cover previously sold cars. IMHO 5 years is too short, given their previous statements. We know it will cost Nissan money but they need to sack up to get the issue off the table. They also need to put out a price for battery pack repair, which they have not done.

That was addressed in their recent interview with the NYT. They are going to provide free to leaf owners quick chargers at many of their California dealerships. More details should be coming soon.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How about put the ball on their court? Ask Nissan what were the top 5 concerns raised by the owners.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2014705/leaf/13_Nissan_LEAF_Pricing.pdf

2013 Pricing just announced at Auto Show; S starting at $28,800 so some questions being answered. hope to get much more info including times lines on several other things like battery purchases, etc.

Now Nissan did acknowledge that replacement batteries for non warranty issues will be addressed and should be ready by "early Spring" hope to get some more info on that

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    One of the Nissan folks at the meet up, while talking about BMS made a comment regarding air cooling versus liquid. The gist was something like;

"air cooling is good too . . . after all, that's what cools us humans down"

My eyes bugged out and jaw dropped when I heard this. Apparently the speaker never considered "sweat" in his air-cooled humans analogy. Maybe he doesn't know what happens to humans that get over heated for so long that they stop sweating. Maybe someone will point that out so Nissan can re-think the analogy. :rolleyes:

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. The list was at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Questions for Jan 8th Town Hall Mtg in AZ and the meeting didn't go in the format that I (nor many of the attendees) expected. Some issues were addressed but many were not. They opened it up to the floor after addressing some issues. The reaction was pretty mixed by people who attended (I didn't, Phoenix is quite far for me).

If you have almost 2 hours, the video of the entire meeting is up at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Meeting with Nissan, Phoenix, Jan 8, 2013, 6pm, drinks prior. I don't know that poster's affiliation so I don't know how long it will remain up...

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    "for the money" - in the case of the iMiev would relate to size. As great a car as it is, it's a shame Mitsu didn't consider giving it a bit roomy interior. Most folks don't like the idea of driving vehicles that small ... and when coupled with how small it is, it's still a bit pricy evidenced by the low volume of sales. There's serious debate on whether Mitsu will continue to produce it. I hope they simply re-tool, and make it (or other EV) bigger.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    MiEV is not in the same class as the LEAF. now the "S" might be close but I saw one up close at the Puyallup Fair while manning the Tacoma EV Association booth and its a MUCH cheaper looking car especially the interior. Although the LEAF is overpriced, I thought the MiEV was even more so. It very much looks like a "cost cutting" project.