1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Nissan freezes fuel cell car development

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Trollbait, Jun 19, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might want to share these thoughts in "Other Cars." We follow the technology but in appropriate sub-forums.
    No interest. Insufficient energy density.

Bob Wilson

2. Dimitrij

Dimitrij Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My sources are in the same place as the origins of the popular Dihydrogen Monoxide Warning hoax.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The reason I asked for your sources is when I tried Mr. Google, I could not find anything that even looked close. But Google doesn't track every corner of the Internet. As others have pointed out, Prius owners have long been targets and become fairly adept FUD-busting.

Bob Wilson

hill likes this.
  4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than government grants skewing the thought process, I don't understand the hydrogen hype. "Most common element in the Universe, emits only water..." sounds nice but it's a sham. Packaging hydrogen into a useable form is ridiculously expensive, and the water is only a small part of the total product emissions.

Then there's the efficiency...no matter what the source of energy, turning it into electricity and then hydrogen and then electricity is less efficient than storing the electricity in batteries. What's so difficult to understand? It's a hoax.

Here's another business-oriented article that repeats the same old story, mentions Toyota often, and seems to offer more in the way of cheerleading than anything substantive. How hydrogen could shake up Canada's energy sector | CBC News

#64 hyo silver, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've linked several times to an article showing the Canadians gave up on their hydrogen bus fleet, due to the huge maintenance expense - choosing instead to convert to diesel as it's more economical. Oh the irony. Humans, they have to keep learning the same lessons over and over.

hyo silver likes this.
  6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Part of that huge maintenance expense was trucking the 'fuel' - sorry, I mean hydrogen - from the source on the other side of the country, several thousand kilometres away. How anyone expected that to make sense, either logically or financially, I'll never know.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they should have filled blimps with it, carried cargo across country, unloaded the cargo and hydrogen on the other side of the country, then used fuel cell trucks to ship the blimps back.
    what is so difficult about that?

Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.