1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan Leaf 0-60 Time Now Official: 7 Seconds

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by hill, Oct 21, 2010.

1. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes - I guess I got mixed up with Lotus Elise.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not everyone would think that agreeing with me is a good thing. ;) But I do appreciate the support. :welcome:

3. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If he got 0 to 60mph in 7 seconds, his Leaf was tuned MUCH differently than the one I drove Wednesday. I got a 9.9 second time with 2 people in the car. We were told the guy that hit 94 on Tuesday was going downhill so maybe the 0-60 was also.
    It is a great car that drives very well and has ample power that will make it a no-brainer to achieve over 100 miles per charge if you use common sense.

If you want max torque and speed, buy a Tesla or White Zombie.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    "We were told" ?? By whom? Link Please ?
    thanks
    btw, I don't think any one would doubt that carrying 3X as many people would yield a different time, than having just a driver. Perhaps I'm wrong ... but I've never seen 3 passengers as being criteria for establishing a standard 0-60mph run.

oh yea ... and the "down hill" thing" it'd be great to get a link for that too.

5. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It was in person on Wednesday for the 1st wave of the press preview at Nissan North America HQ in Franklin, TN by Mark Perry, Director of Product Planning and Strategy of Nissan North America. Twenty of us paired up in groups of two and drove 10 Leafs on a 30 mile and 18 mile course.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How does SOC affect Max discharge rate ?

7. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We drove it aggressively with the AC on most of the time down to 31 miles dte and it still performed the same as with a full pack.

The Leaf preview.

8. Strike67

Strike67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't our cars the toyota prius and this nissan leaf be able to beat a ferrari from 0-7 mph?

Of course when seeing this you play out its not even noticeable and it looks like the ferrari kicks nice person haha.

The reasoning behind this is that we have instantaneous torque available to us from 0rpm and electric engines have tons of torque. It's just that the prius and the leaf lack severely in the HP department to carry it through the race.

I hear everywhere that torque gets you off the line and horse power helps you win the race.

On a different note it seems performance hybrids are the way to go now. Take for example the Lexus GS hybrid. it has a 3.5L 6 cylinder engine mated to an electric engine that has the same performance as a 4.5 liter V8 hence the GS450

Even ferrari has started to mate an electric engine to their cars. They have a model where the electric engine is directly integrated into their drive train and they got to FLAT battery packs running adjacent to eachother on the back of the car. It's pretty cool heres a link http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/03/ferrari-hy-kers/

9. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
  10. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are battery-powered motorcycles out there that can do 0-60 mph in 1.5 secs.
    You get a big torque kick at low rpm with electric engines--the opposite of ICE.

Don't think Porsche doesn't know about it. Batteries are the future of racing cars, along with the CVT stepless transmission.

11. Strike67

Strike67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Eh I don't Think CVT's are gonna get anywhere near racing cars soon. There's the main problem of having too much hydraulic pressure to deal with etc. Unless CVT technology changes drastically sometime soon, I think race cars will stick with a manual.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You've just proved my point :rolleyes:. I said what YOU said is like (i.e. similar to) saying a hummer is slow b/c a Ferrari has the same number of cylinders and is much quicker. I said FERRARI, not Corvette but that's just splitting hairs for this case.

So how is it that you can see the error in my analogy but yet can't see yours? lol

mmmm... actually I think a few of them are in the 9-10 sec range with an automatic (not the Si of course).

13. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  14. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't that with a max speed of some 50 mph - or did I read that wrong ?

We're looking for range at 65mph to 70mph.

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I must have missed the launch control buttons on the prius:eek:

The prius can beat any car to 7 as long as the prius driver hits the accelerator first.

lol. How some thought someone really made it to 60 in 7 seconds in a stock leaf. Now where is that 150kw motor upgrade option? I'm sure to preserve battery life you would only want to go full power for a little while. Hoping for a more electrified world;)

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think too many people put too much emphasis on the instant torque of the Prius and similar electric cars. The instant torque is great but it does not make the car inherently faster than traditional non-electric drive vehicles.

I have tested the Prius at the drag strip and the the 60' time on these cars is pretty horrid compared to any performance car with traction. In fact, I think almost any non-performance car that isn't completely anemic can beat or at least match the 60' time of the Prius. Average 60' time was 2.6 seconds. Compare this to the average 60' of say a 2002 Camaro or Mustang (2.1 seconds) or 1.8seconds on those cars if equipped with sticky tires.

That being said, the only thing more important than 60' time in a drag race is..... reaction time. The person who reacts to the light quicker can sometimes beat a much faster car just by reacting 1 or 2 seconds faster. Spend any time at a race track and you'll see newbie Corvette drivers getting beat by stock Mustangs or modified Civics because the Vette driver has a bad reaction times and a bad 60' due to excessive wheel spin or bad shifting. :rolleyes:

17. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The EV-1's 0-60 times depend on which type you're talking about. The Gen II's were slower than the Gen 1's - which took almost 8.0 seconds compared to the 6.7 seconds in the lead acid Gen I's. Many felt the Gen I's were too squirrelly with all that torque, so the newer Gen II's were tuned down a bit.

The Leaf's 7 second 0-60 is neat to me for a different reason. I'd seldom if ever go over 60mph anyway ... being a slow lane / tuck in behind the semi-truck sorta driver. Here's what's cool to me. I can't think of any ICE car under $25K that can do 0 to 60 in under 7 seconds. I can only think of a few cars that do low 7's that cost around $30K. Nissan may very well be the Prius of the 2010's and 20-teens.

C'mon folks it's a family sedan ... if you want super duper way crazy acceleration/deceleration, you have to pick one from this chart:

[​IMG]

Pulling G's hasn't been important to me since peak oil awareness, and the twin towers being destroyed. Don't get me wrong ... 15-20 years ago, no one appreciated wasting tires more than your's truly:

[​IMG]
    But times, they're a changin'

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't know about the Gen I's. Dad did let me ride in some prototype electric cars when I was little, and lead acid technology was probably ready way back when. Of course lithium is better now, but they need to be built to those pesky new crash standards that add weight.

Mazdaspeed 3 does 60 in 5.6 seconds for $24K base price.

I think the leaf will come in at more than 9 but less than 10 seconds to 60. But that will be fast enough for most of the ev enthusiasts.

Now who is going to drop a tesla motor in that thing and make it fast :)

20. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Subaru WRX will also do the 0-60 in well under 7s depending on how much you're willing to abuse it. Used to cost less than $25 - just over that right now.

Anyway - it's pretty clear that the guys claiming 7s 0-60 for the LEAF are off by a good amount. No one has been able to duplicate the number and most are getting 0-60 times just under 10s.

My old WRX will be sold to make room for the LEAF - am going to need to figure out how to tighten up the suspension a bit more on the LEAF...