1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan Leaf Fast Facts

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by Rybold, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The 2011 print version of Automobile magazine has an article with a lot of good info on the Nissan Leaf.

Here are some quick facts from the article:

Number of initial states with Nissan Leaf dealers: 14
    Plus Washinton D.C. by April 2011, and then to all 50 states by 2012.

Federal Tax Credit: $7500
    California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii offering an additional $5000 incentive.

Number of home charging stations offered FREE to initial Leaf buyers (DOE research project): 5700

Targeted annual battery-pack manufacturing capacity: 500,000 by 2013

Targeted annual global Leaf production volume: 250,000 by 2013

Hours required to fully charge a fully depleted battery: more than 7 hours using 240-Volt, 16-amp circuit.

Number of public charging locations expected by the end of 2011: 13,000 in 19 states.

Battery warranty: 8 years, 100,000 miles.

Annual global Leaf sales needed to lower the sticker price and achieve a profit without government subsidies: one million.

3-year service and maintenance cost savings versus a Prius: $1360.

The Automobile staff drove the Leaf around to test it and went 60 miles on the highway and 21 miles in the city, for a total range of 81 miles.

Now go out and buy the January 2011 issue of Automobile magazine or go to their website and click on one of the ads.

7 people like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Here's a fabulously friggin' fast fact for folks:

Programer Oliver Chalouhi is receiving the first Leaf, today, Nov 11, 2010. Up in the CA bay area of Redwood City.

Redwood City man to get first Nissan Leaf

The media and many Leaf enthusiasts are making the trek up there for the event.

1 person likes this.
  3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "3-year service and maintenance cost savings versus a Prius: $1360."

Is that really msrp for Toyota recommended, dealer provided service ? Sheesh.
    I keep up pretty well with the recommendations, and doubt I have spent much more than $300 in 6 years and almost 118k miles.

Lets see (over 6 years)
    Synthetic engine oil changes and filter twice a year: $180
    Air filters ------------------------------------------------$90 ish
    ATF (twice) ----------------------------------------------$60
    Belt ------------------------------------------------------$12
    Inverter coolant -----------------------------------------$20
    Inverter pump -------------------------------------------$88
    Spark plugs ----------------------------------------------$35 ish

Total:$485. So much for my estimating ability, but still a far cry from what OP posted.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its great to see someone changing their oil for that price. i am at $75 PER change. but the process is much different on a 2010 verses gen 2's. but i would have to say that realistically, the only maintenance cost that i have seen is oil changes and air filter changes. i think the belts, spark plugs, etc. are not the norm

the FB event will be streamed live starting at 1:30 Pm pacific.

5. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I saw it on the news last night (kcal9). There were news cameras all around. It was pretty neat to see it. It's official !!! Production electric cars from major automakers are now being sold to the public!!! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But I can't wait to see the first one on the road myself. It isn't real until you've seen it with your own eyes! ;) Though we've got to wait until March :(. A friend of mine has his £250 deposit paid and is on the UK waiting list so I should be one of the first to see one over this side of the pond. :cool:

7. navy48

navy48 LBII (Lil Blue II)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    here's a fact for you: the Nissan Leaf is one UGLY MO FO!! :p

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Here's some more fast facts I recently learned on the Nissan site:

Excessive capacity reduction could be attributed to:

* Driving or storing your LEAF in extreme temperatures
    * Repeatedly charging your LEAF by quick charge several times a day
    * Driving aggressively (up hill driving for a long period of time at a steep incline or grade, high speed constant driving)

The rate of reduction cannot be assured however, the battery is expected to maintain approximately 80% of its initial capacity after 5 years of normal operation and recommended care, but this is not guaranteed.

Cross-town commute on a hot day: 68 miles
    Speed: Average 49 mph
    Temperature: 110 degrees
    Climate control: On

Winter, urban stop-and-go, traffic jam: 62 miles
    Speed: Average 15 mph
    Temperature: 14 degrees
    Climate control: On

I don't see how these will sell in Texas. These are "normal" temps throughout the year that commuters in Austin and especially DFW can encounter. What about the folks in SF and driving up hills? Will it be explain up front that a possible 50% or more degradation in range over the next few years will be considered "normal" and thus won't qualify for warranty repair?

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    RIGHT!!!
    And . . . . if THAT's not great news enough there are "OTHERS" will be picking up THEIR Leaf(s) tomorrow ... Monday ... the 13th of December in San Diego. I'm betting Nissan will be dragging the media to as many of these first dozen (or so) events as possible. Good P.R. ... and another fabulous fun filled fact.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    My next door neighbor had an '02 Prius. I remember that, "I don't see how these will sell ..." is what they said about the Prius back in 2002. Heck, that's what many in Texas (and many areas) said about the Ford Model 'T" back around 1910. But eventually, infrastructure (gas) developed ... mechanics developed ... roads developed. Now look how things are. The same will be with EV's. Ignorant people can be taught. It's only stupid people that can't be taught. The very nature of things technological, is to change. It's just another change. For those who find their selves scared ... wringing their hands because change is scary to some, remember ... batteries continue to get better and better ... and charging (yes folks ... even QUICK chargers) infrastructure continues to get closer and closer to each station.
    (EV fear reminds me of my daughter when she was 4yrs old ... giving her courage to jump off a diving board for the first time ... first there's fear ... then it's over come ... then? ... it's FUN :) )
    So, don't worry about, "... how they'll sell ..." - because the wait list is now so long, you won't be able to get on the WAIT list, for about a year. Yep ... they'll sell. First, sales will be to the "glass is half full" crowd. Eventually, even sales to the "glass is half empty" crowd.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    hill,

Condescending tone aside, you're talking about the EV market in general and I agree but I'm talking about the Leaf and Nissan in particular. Doesn't really matter if there is a charger on every corner if, according to Nissan, numerous quick charges (topping off) kill the batterys' life span.

I'm more concern for owners 4-5 years down the road who are experiencing major range reduction due to circumstances they can not change (climate, hills) but Nissan says that's expected and not covered by warranty.

12. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Whenever I get to a steep incline in a normal car, I click the overdrive button, to downshift one gear. I wish there was some type of transmission gearing on electric cars to be used only for climbing steep grades.

High speed constant driving is a problem? :confused:
    Here in California, a lot of people use the highways for 10-25 miles (estimated range; not a statical number) every day to get to and from work.
    I understand the science, but Nissan needs to find a way to make this work for the general public that are potential buyers.

When I was a teenager, I used to assemble and race electric RC cars. My best car was clocked at 62mph at an RC car race track one time. Because the RC cars did not have transmissions, we had to gear the car analogous to a gasoline car being either 1st gear permanently or else top gear permanently. As a result, when geared in the 1st scenario, the motors would last a long time but the batteries would discharge very quickly. When geared in the 4th gear scenario, the car could get up to 60mph but doing a 0-60 would be very slow at first and slowly increase in acceleration, and over about three months, would cause the motor to lose/reduce in power/magnetism. As a result, the motor wasn't as "strong" and I would have to replace it with a new motor. When an electric motor has a lot of force (torque) to push against and is loaded with a high current of electricity, it slowly reduces the strength of the permanent magnets, and performance is lost over time (time=weeks or months)

Without some type of transmission and overdrive option, I see this as being a real problem for electric cars. The downshift would only be used for hill climbing.

13. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're entitled to your opinion; Having driven a Leaf, and inspecting it thoroughly from up close, I'm entitled to disagree with you.:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  14. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But isn't this the same with 'normal' cars? Some are going to have been looked after and would be running nice in 5 years time with a long life ahead of them. Others, like mine, will have had a hard life in 5 years with lots of hard city and start stop driving. Surely that is as damaging to a petrol car as numerous quick topping off charges would be to an EV?

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Grumpie, I thought the caveat Nissan warned against as a possible cause of early battery aging was related to high voltage quick charging, not multiple uses of 120 or 240 mains.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Funny thing with Lithium battery chemistries (and there are a BUNCH of 'em), some of the characteristics are in part, still unknown. One recent report, for instance is that quick charging to only 80% ... and then immediately using the (partial) charge, will actually EXTEND the battery life, rather than (very minimally) shorten life. As for condescending tone? Isn't it funny? "I don't see how these will sell in Texas" ... or "quick charges kill the battery's life span" phraseology is no less or more condescending than anything I responded with ... it's simply a matter of understanding and point of reference. Bottom line is, not only is the glass half full ... it getting fuller.
    ;)

17. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hill, I owned an iPhone 3G for two years before getting my iPhone4. Both phones quick charge up to about 95% and then begin slow charging. This is controlled by the phone's software. The battery on my old phone worked just as well after two years as the day I bought it.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    posts by the first Leaf owner states charge level is settable to either 80% or 100% so the option to manage battery longevity is there. rumor has it that the settings are adjustable.

i would like L3 (fast DC) charging to do 80%
    L2 (240 VAC) to set at 90%
    and L3 (110 VAC trickle) to set at 95%.

also battery warranty details (may be adjusted as the guy went thru a media circus) 8 years, 100,000 miles with 60% capacity at that time. so am guessing a prorated exchange policy like 10% over 25,000 miles, etc. Nissan has monitoring system in place to track battery performance (also to detect abuse as well i am guessing)

so it will be like any other thing. YMMV

19. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Leaf will do just fine in Texas...at least here in the greater Houston area where plenty of garage parking is available and (I would speculate) most owners aren't going to be keeping them outside in the elements most of the time anyway. Sure, the commutes can sometimes be hot and brutal, but the distances under such conditions aren't typically that far for that long. Add to this the network going in for charging stations and rapid chargers and things just keep looking better.

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know this is controversial, but the Prius, with its peculiar engine, does quite well with dino oil. You don't really have to use synthetic, and mine (2004) did not come with a manufacturer's recommendation to use synthetic. Just a recommendation to not switch back to dino IF you once used synthetic.

Why not compromise with an intermediate ratio? And of course the Leaf is not supposed to be a race car. So it does not require the extremes of speed or acceleration.

The trade-off is reliability: A transmission is one more thing to break down. The decision to include a transmission in the Tesla Roadster delayed its production for a year. And even without a transmission, it still has BOTH a top speed, and a zero to 60 time that would more than satisfy anybody but a speed maniac.