1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan Leaf Fast Facts

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by Rybold, Dec 9, 2010.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, your argument lost all credibility with me. I lived in the DFW area for 2 years, and anything above 100'F was unusual (although upper 90's is very common), and anything under 28'F was very unusual. So your claims of 14'F and 110'F as being "normal" are far from that. That might be the extremes for a few days on a rough year, certainly not typical. I never saw either temperature in my 2 years in Texas.

What I've read of actual driving experiences, not conjecture like yours, is that the 100 mile range is reasonable under reasonably good conditions. Add in climate control and some other variables, it will be reduced. So long-distance commuters should not buy this car. That still leaves 75% of the public.

I think you meant Dec. 11, not Nov 11.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    . . . . . . . . . . . whoops! Thanks ... yep, not good w/ dates, names, birthdays, etc.
    Ok here's another fun frivolous fanciful fast fact for folks:

Leaf #2 went to a . . . . . . COLORADO MAN?!?
    9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | Colorado man becomes 2nd owner of Nissan Leaf
    HEY! That should have been MY leaf!
    :p
    Seems Mr. Sneaky had the appropriate friend/Renter/family member living in San Diego, which enabled him to jump ahead of many in the premier roll out area. Way to go dude! But, it gets better. He'd DRIVING it back to Colorado, rather than having it trailered back there!

Like the adage that a bumble bee that can't fly ... but everyone forgot to tell the bumble bees that ... Thomas Franklin of Englewood Colorado is DRIVING his Leaf home ! ! 1
    :D

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Very good point. :)

I do completely understand what you are saying. At the same time, I know that electric motors can definitely lose strength/magnetism if used to climb hills (analogous to "pulling boat trailers") repeatedly. For most grades, I see this as no problem for the motor. But for anyone that has to climb a steep grade near their home or on a daily basis, I could see a reduction in the motor strength/magnetism over time (a lot shorter life span than a transmission - my 2004 Corolla has 160K miles right now and I have had zero problems with the car). HOWEVER, a transmission requires maintenance and transmission fluid and cooling (environmental waste). A motor does not. Perhaps just the permanent magnets could be replaced and the old magnets somehow recycled or re-magnetized.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    As you may have notice (or maybe not), I did put normal in quotation marks. I should have been more clear and simply said those temps are not uncommon in Texas. DFW is hot but it's even hotter the further south you go. I'm on year number 48 living here.

Heat wave bakes Texas, Okla. - Weather - msnbc.com

HEAT WAVE statistics for Dallas-Fort Worth - Dallas Weather | Examiner.com

Dallas-Fort Worth heat wave of 1980 still seared into memories | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

USA weather and forecast information on WeatherBug.com

But it's the flip side of the coin that I'd be more concerned about. 14f is a veritable heat wave in many northern states during their long winters.

Pulled from leaf.net, here's some findings from the Leaf buyer numero uno in the USA after less than a week's ownership (bold font is mine):

"On a separate occasion Olivier recalls starting the morning on a full battery with the dashboard reading 96 miles, but when he turned on climate control, it dropped to approximately 85 miles. “If you want to cruise on the highway at 75+ mph, then you should not hope to get more than 50-60 miles of range, with light climate control."

5. CTpriusV

CTpriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'll second that, I own 2 Z06 Corvettes and never thought I'd own a battery car but there's a Prius in the driveway so I guess I was wrong

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I didn't think they used permanent magnets in this kind of motor. But I admit this is outside my field of knowledge.