1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan Leaf vs Prius

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by DanCar, Apr 4, 2010.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not so many years ago, Nissan's Ghosn trashed the Toyota Prius as a marketing stunt, arguing that Toyota was losing money on each car built.

I love karma.

As for 100 mile EV cars, I think they are a sweet spot for 10s of millions of consumers. Exurb residents with 30 - 50 mile one-way commutes are an obvious group, as are soccer moms who drive 15,000 - 25,000 miles with their guzzlers each year. Otoh, a 5 year battery life is going to scare away every consumer who wants the Leaf's cost of ownership to be somewhere close to that of a guzzler. They do *not* have to be cheaper, but they cannot be double or more and expect more than enthusiast participation. Toyota stood behind it's (then) new NiMH battery tech with a 150k mile warranty, and a corporate promise that the battery would last the life of the vehicle. I think Nissan will have to do the same or find that for the most part people will only lease the Leaf, and the company will be stuck with 3 year old cars.

I personally do not trust Nissan the engineering company, the way I trust Toyota or Honda. And for the sake of the Leaf, I hope it has no shared components with Renault. So I'll sit on the sidelines for now; but I promise, I'll be cheering!

I wonder how much the Leaf is going to eat into Volt sales -- assuming the latter makes it to market in any sizeable numbers. I suspect enough to turn the Volt into a stillborn, even more than it already is. The Leaf strikes me as a vastly superior EV car, while the Prius kills it as a hybrid. Being expensive, but not really good at anything just does not sound like a winning commercial.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ?? What is a "very limited vehicle" exactly? I have neighbors who own Escalades. And that vehicle is their "town car." It stays in a 20 mile radius of home. Seven days a week, 365 days per year. When they to out of town, they either take the Hummer or the Expedition.

Now... Is the price of an Escalade a better price to pay for a car that is used for sub 20 mile trips? And talk about limite? Every try to park an Escalade in a crowded city?

You may have forgotten than Toyota has already build an EV that was ready for prime-time. And they did it in 1996. And I'm still driving one.

Indeed. They're pretty wonderful in practice as well.

Awesome that it is happening this year, isn't it??

Maybe they were competing with the Prius??

3. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes!

Yeah, I'm not sure we've got apples and apples here. If you don't accept five passengers in the LEAF, then you certainly can't accept seven in the S. And if you DO stuff seven in the Leaf (two of them children that would easily fit in the 5th seat of the Leaf) then your "extra cargo room" idea is shot.

Anyway, I know what you're getting at, I just don't think it is fair to short the Leaf on size... like so many want to do to the "micro car" Prius.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh i have no issues at all with the size of the Leaf. i make do with my 2 seat Zenn now. about 70% of the time, it will be just me or me and my son. family excursions around town will be the only time we need a back seat.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Stealing an image from the MyNissanLeaf site post, the Leaf is at least as big as the Prius, and probably a bit taller inside and out (but official interior dimensions have not been released). I think the hatch area is smaller according to a recent video. Look at how big the car is next to the man in the video.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oooh. that's a great chart. Thanks, Evan.

Yeah, I saw the cargo area in the video as well. Tough to tell size without context - but it didn't appear as big as the Prius. Big shelf up to the folded rear seats (instead of hidden bin under the flat floor like in the Prius.) That configuration will likely make it harder to easily carry two fully-assembled bicycles in the back thusly:

[​IMG]

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    - I have to take umbridge my friend. The Leaf is EXACTLY like the Prius, in this regard, and EXACTLY like EVERY piece of transportation in this regard, because NO car is for everyone. If they were ... we'd all be driving the same:

Suburban
    Caddie
    Fiat
    Expedition
    Fiesta
    Barracuda
    Vette
    Station Wagon
    Harley
    (your dorky/impractical choice here)

;)

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    EXCELLENT point!!!

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So what you're saying... but with lots more words... is that he's spot-on correct with the bullet item. The Leaf (like every other form of transportation) is not for everybody. Now, give the poor guy his umbridge back!

And what you're saying with just two words is that more words is better than one bullet item. ;)

OK, ok. So flog me with a rubber hose. No really. I might like it.

11. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Myself, I was thinking a RAV4 EV charging cord... :rolleyes:

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Those things are surprisingly hard and unpleasant to be hit with.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I suspect that rubber hoses are very unpleasant to be hit with, also.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No. Hill and I are pointing out a subtle distinction: that it's not ONLY the Leaf that's not for everyone. Too many people overlook the fact that gas cars have many shortcomings as well.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unless it's done by a woman wearing black PVC and very high heels. Did I just say that out loud? Oops.

Tom

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, duh. I was mostly just upset that you guys beat me to saying it. So I had to come up with some way to beat you down quickly.

Exactly. Sheesh, Daniel. No wonder you can't get the babes.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are activities that sound like fun when one is daydreaming about them, but which I strongly suspect would be less fun in reality. Of course there are women who specialize in the application of manageable amounts of pain, but I'm not aware of any here in Spokane.

18. DanCar

DanCar New Member

I see, it is actually the Louisiana beaches that you can't use because of oil leak.

19. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Latest news is that things are getting better here... until next time :(

20. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of Louisiana.. I'm currently researching both the Leaf and Prius PHV.. One thing that swings in the direction of the PHV is the fact that unfortunately when a hurricane comes through, we have no electricity for quite a while....