1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

nissan looking at 150 mile epa range, implies battery costs continuing down

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ACEEE has been around for 3 decades.... they have thoroughly established their green "cred".

Also you don't seem to realize the greenscore takes into account manufacturing energy & disposal energy. We all know that 5000 pounds of aluminum/lithium Tesla will require more energy to build/recycle than 3000 pounds of steel (Odyssey). Aluminum is expensive to build & recycle.

2. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    BTW the Odyssey has a V6 engine that can run on just 3 cylinders. That's why it got a high score.... it has high MPG and PZEV emission rating. It's almost as clean as the Tesla and Rav4 EVs (which also have exhaust albeit displaced to the coal or natural gas plant).

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Or the local hydro, solar or wind turbine ;)

The benefit of EV's is that in most cases their emissions are lower than a petrol or diesel vehicle BUT that they can also be reduced if using renewable energy. Something a petrol or diesel vehicle can't.

My electric company now offer the following partnership with the UK VW group. Thus helping really reduce the emissions of their EVs.

Ecotricity have signed a partnership deal with Volkswagen Group (UK) Limited, the UK importer of Volkswagen Passenger Cars and Commercial Vehicles, Audi, SEAT and ŠKODA, to be their official green energy supplier, meaning all customers purchasing an electric car from one of the Group brands will be offered the new Ecotricity tariff and a free smart meter installation.

New electricity tariff offers 1,000 free car miles - News - Ecotricity

austingreen likes this.
  4. Dogwood2

Dogwood2 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Intuition would suggest that when one car costs three to five times as much as another car, this is because the more expensive car "ate" vastly more resources in its production, which justifies a skeptical eye about how "green" it can be.

On a personal level, I have to pay for my Prius C -- a modest car -- entirely out of my own pocket. And my tax dollars, as well as a portion of my car price, pays for the purpose of subsidizing the production and sale of cars like the Tesla Roadster, which is a toy for rich yuppies.

I try to be a good citizen of the nation and the planet. But I look with suspicion upon much of what passes for "green" in the political world, which is too often merely an excuse for cronyism.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Except the price could include things that are priced higher do to a perceived value that may or may not reflect reality, e.x. fancy leathers and exotic wood trims. The price may also reflect the resource of time and skilled labor. Hand stitched leather upholstery costs more than machine made. Both of those could contribute. The Dodge Viper had a $14k+ paint color. In part due to it taking a week to apply.

Then there is simply greed and the value in the brand name. Options for luxury tend to cost more for no real good reason than because the buyer can afford it and they expect it.

In the case of Tesla, it would have been impossible for them to start by providing a mass market product. As a start up, they simply didn't have the resources to do so. Thus the plan of starting with a high end sports car and then a high end sedan. The higher profit margins provide capitol to fund development of the more affordable models.

And my tax dollars subsidize breeders having kids. The plug in tax credit is a drop in the federal budget, and it also applies to cars that don't require someone to be rich to afford. On a percentage basis, the credit is more on such cars. Then there were the credits and deductions for hybrids.

The Model S is more than a toy. Its range and the Supercharger network actually make it possible for someone to go gasoline free. The lower priced E will eventually do so for an even larger percentage of the population. It would have been great if the lower priced car could come first, but Tesla is not Nissan. They didn't have the means to support a car like the Leaf until battery prices drop. They are now. Thanks to the tax credits subsidizing their production.

GM, Ford, and Toyota were the major pushers for the plug in tax credits, and 'green' isn't the only issue in regard to plug ins and fuel efficiency.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be more than happy to stop all the EV subsidies if we also stopped all the oil subsidies.
    Last year the federal governments rebates for EVs came in just shy of $750 million.
    Middle of the road estimates for oil are 10 Billion.
    While we are at it, how about the child and home ownership subsidies.

7. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    What oil subsidies?

ACEEE uses the U.S. mix of coal/natural gas/hydro/nuclear. I don't know why they don't give an estimate for solar charging with rooftop panels, but I suspect it's because so few Americans have them (<0.2%). ALSO I'm not convinced those solar roofs provide enough power to run the house *and* fuel an EV too, so your electric car would still need to pull its energy off the dirty grid.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Dogwood2

Dogwood2 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I really don't want to fuel a political argument, which is generally pointless. I'm just pointing out the obvious, which is the highly visible and systematic web of subsidies for these hyper-expensive cars that only rich people can afford, covering sweetheart loans for questionable manufacturing (such as the A123 Battery debacle), tax credits on the purchase, and cheap electricity for a charging station in many localities (that's probably a local policy). FWIW, Forbes ran an interesting article, "If Tesla Would Stop Selling Cars, We'd All Save Some Money". Yes, and billion$ poured into GM, billion$ poured into everything. The entire ethanol push is, as far as I can tell, one gigantic boondoggle and payoff to the corn belt, in that the corn-based starch ethanol processes require too much work to yield a net-positive contribution to the overall energy picture. (Even Al Gore has said that starch ethanol was a mistake, made for political reasons. So we dumped more money into cellulosic ethanol (such as the Range Fuels plant that cost hundreds of million$ to build and produced nothing). Maybe somebody will get cellulose working, or come up with an algae process so we can farm the oceans for oil; I know the potential is real. But, gory details and favorite examples aside, I think we're all a bit skeptical or cynical about those that feed at Uncle Sugar's endless trough. Or at least those of us that perceive ourselves to be filling that trough instead of emptying it, and being subject to the opprobrium of parasitical cronies that bitterly complain that taxpayers are not doing enough for them. Meanwhile, as we fight amongst ourselves, I lament that my best choice came from a foreign company in a foreign land.

Please don't take any of this personally. I've got no gripe with anyone that opines on this board. But as a tax-paying citizen with a modest, unsubsidized car that is arguably greener than political green, I think I'm entitled to vent.

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You are certainly entitle to voice your opinion.
    I just want to stress that the benificial tax treatment for EVs (in all price ranges) is not unique, is available to anyone that wishes to buy one and that gas, kids, education, housing, medical care and many other things also receive similar, if not more benefits.

The benificial tax treatment of SUVs is part of the reason we are in this mess.
    So I am just fine with he idea of eliminating these benefits, but eliminate all of them, don't do it bit by bit.

11. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Regardless of "not enough" power produced with solar panels, it has its advantages that utility companies (and in the case of CA... CUPC too) hate. Solar panels are great at minimizing the requirement to upgrade the electrical grid during high usage time frame. Imagine home and business solar panels powering own home/business and maybe their neighbors without having to upgrade 1000s of miles of power lines.

Guess utility companies and utility workers' unions hate that idea.

Zythryn likes this.
  12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And a 4 kwh system will certainly more than cover the background requirements of a UK home and the remainder can be used to part top up your EV.

Also, in the UK you can choose your own power company and I've chosen one that provides 100% renewable energy. That will also help owners of EVs.

Zythryn likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But no one that has bought a plug in plugs into an average grid mix. Daniel, who was once here, has all his electric for home and Tesla made from hydro. My parents in NC draw mostly from Nuclear. Texas has a large mix of wind.

There are places with large amounts of coal in the mix? Are they popular regions for plug in ownership?

On average, few homes have solar, but it is popular with those that get a plug in. In California, it has been quoted that 39% of Plug in owners have solar. They still draw from the grid at times, but some solar plus grid is better than all grid for a home and electric car.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  14. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure why facts won't "convince" you... If you produce as much as you use whether that is for charging your EV or just running every light and appliance in your house 24/7 for no reason, then you aren't using the grid. When you generate a surplus other people use less of the grid and when you consume more (like at night) you are using the grid power they would have used except it is even better in that those are generally the way off peak times where the plants are running just because they can't shut down, not because they need to produce that much power.

And like grumpy, I can choose where my grid power comes from. I buy wind farm electricity.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So if you have a 4kwh system on your house in summer and are generating that amount (for arguments sake). Your house and your neighbours houses will probably be just consuming a nominal 500watts whilst everyone is at work. So you will be providing power for 8 houses. Assume people use 250 watts in the background, your solar array could be powering 16 houses.

Or you could charge your car for free.

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry, i must have kicked your puppy with that last comment.;) I did mean it though, bad models are often put out by old companies. I was waiting for a response from them to my questions, but they haven't. I didn't mean to insult your favorite "green" organization, but some of us have different ideas of what it means to be environmental.

That means we may weigh use of unconvential oil which contributes to loss of habitat and pollutes air and water, as a bigger problem than ghg charging from a national grid, when most people that buy these cars charge with much less intense electricity. Many of us are happy to use mainly hydro power to produce materials for more efficient cars than to ignore things like oil spills, or the ghg used in war ships to keep that oil "safe". It really is a matter of priorities.

Absolutely, and I have no problem with the so called "lifecycle" emissions calculations, but.... they are very difficult to do properely and I think this one was not done properely. This has to do with how much of the aluminum and battery are and will be recycled and what is the useful life. Other organizatons seem to consider the tesla S quite "green" but then we all have different ideas of what is good for the enviroment.

This group also does Green car ratings with "lifecycle" emissions and the tesla comes out quite well.
    BMW i3, Nissan Leaf, Tesla Model S, win in Next Green Car awards - Torque News

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Price is a poor measure of use of fossil fuel. A BMW 335i is much more expensive than a chevy malibu or a toyota camry, but IIRC uses similar levels of fossil fuel to manufacture including materials.

We do know the tesla S usees more fossil fuel to build then say a nissan sentra and even a bmw 535i and Lexus GS, which may be a compettitors. Much of this has to do with the aluminum and battery, but how much this counts per mile depends a great deal on assumptions about how many miles the car will go, and if the aluminum and batteries will be recycled. Tesla already has a customer Solar City that will use the batteries, and no one is going to just leave that valuable aluminium in a junk yard, its going to be recycled.

Sure lets do some math. If tesla sells 200,000 cars or more it maxes out at $1.5B in federal subsidies after a total of around 7 years (2012-2018). There were likely about $200 million in other subsidies already given to the company in a different program. That Results in $1.7B in subsidies. Mike Kelly the congressman that wrote the bill to kill the federal subsidy, voted against a bill to remove $4B in oil subsidies a year from big oil companies (the bill didn't touch subsidies to small and medium sized oil). Over the 7 years Tesla will recieve the tax credit this amounts to $28B in subsidies. The difference is the credits for plug-ins will expire, these oil subsidies look like they will live forever. Now there are about 70 Million people that pay income taxes in this country. Over the 7 years they will pay an average of $24.30 to subsidize tesla, if and only if tesla is sucessful at reducing oil use. On the other hand they will pay $400 subsidizing large oil companies. Now I agree with big oil that its not fair to get rid of their special subsidies without removing them from other companies that also benefit unfairly like big AG. What I never understand is how people can look at the pocket change that is being given to help get off of oil adiction, and get really upset, but are fine with throwing more money at Big Oil, Big Coal, Big Ag, and big Insurance.

I'm right there with you. The congress is terribly corrupt. But don't you want to go after the big wastes that are bad for our country, instead of this nickle and dime stuff? The plug in tax credit ends at 1 million cars, and may actually help transform america. Most other corporate welfare and big defense programs just grow and grow.

Zythryn likes this.
  18. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    For me a subsidy is a direct cash payment from Congress to an oil company. Or a tax credit on the tax form (basically the same as cash). Anything else is not a subsidy. After all I don't claim I have been "subsidized" if a cop shoots a burglar breaking into my house. I paid for that protection

I found a flaw with ACEEE's greenercar list: They left out three EVs that should be ranked at the top of the list. Is it because these cars are only available for LEASE and cannot be purchased? I'm guessing that's the answer, since the Honda Clarity fuel cell car is also not listed:

59 Smart ForTwo EV
    58 Chevy Spark EV
    57 Fiat 500e EV/ Prius C
    56 Honda Fit EV
    55 Leaf/ Prius/ Civic Hybrid

The italicized cars are all lease-only, if I recall correctly.

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we have gone quite off course on the good news that the tax credit is working, and battery costs are coming down, as plug-in cars grew at over 80%/year in each of the last 2 years. But sure lets dive into how oil isn't subsidised by Tesla is somehow destroying america.
    Then I guess by that definition Tesla isn't subsidised because there is no line on its tax form for a tax credit. We all know that it is. How about oil companies? Let's check with politifact.
    Bill Johnson says subsidies for the oil companies that Barack Obama has attacked don't exist | PolitiFact Ohio

Now the guy that wrote the bill trying to repeal the tax credit for plug-in vehicles, voted against repealing these subsidies for big oil companies. You can see a video of him in the link
    Rep. Kelly, Millionaire Investor In Oil And Gas Companies, Defends Subsidies Against Angry Town Hall Constituents | ThinkProgress

20. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am all for eliminating tax CREDITS or cash handouts to oil companies (and corporations in general). And no Tesla is not the one who received a tax credit on its annual return.... it was the customers. Last time I checked I have received no tax credits on my 1040 because I burned oil (i.e. no subsidy). I did however get one for my hybrid due to its electric motor.