1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nissan Versa

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by livelychick, May 6, 2007.

1. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, Nissan just started selling (this year) a compact hatchback that's packed with features (of course, it ain't no Prius, but what is?)...on the cheap, and it gets 30/36 est MPG. And with the CVT, the mileage is better than with the manual transmission.

Does anyone know anyone who has one or has any experience with these cars? Just curious...

And for any of you following the saga, I had ANOTHER accident today in my rental car. Not as bad, though, but holy jeez...

It's like they used to say on HeeHaw, "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all....gloom, despair, and agony on me."

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're kidding?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nope. Have yet to test drive one. Our current courtesy car is a Mazda5 GT. Fun vehicle to drive and very versatile.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Wow, livelychick, I'm sorry to hear about that! I didn't know about your first accident.
    I don't know anyone who has a Versa, but it is a cool looking car. The sedan is kind of plain, but I like the hatchback. It looks very French (and it is, after all, a Renault Clio). I would probably choose the Honda Fit. Might be worthwhile to do a comparison drive.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 6 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]436611[/snapback]</div>
    What kind of mileage do you get with the Mazda5? My wife drives a Honda Pilot but complains about what she is spending on gas (especially after I gloat about how little I spend). I might consider getting one.

5. txrover

txrover New Member

I test drove a Versa a few months ago, seemed to be a solid well-made car, my girlfriend fell in love with them after seeing them frequently during her stay in Turkey.

They seem to be in the class with the Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, and Mazda3 Hatchback, the Versa is said to have the lower MPG of the group. Having driven these I think I agree with the earlier post.... the Fit.

6. toyotablackbox

toyotablackbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The Nissan Tiida sold and made in Japan is a great little car. Unfortunately the Versa is made in Mexico and is of poor build quality. I have sampled the Tiida in Japan and the Versa locally and they are worlds apart both literally and figuratively. The factories outside Japan just can't match the Japanese quality standards no matter what the dealer may try to tell you. If you doubt it, try to find an early 07 j-vin Camry hybrid and compare it to one from Kentucky... the ways the doors shut, the feel of the interior materials, the way the buttons push, all so different. The Japanese made cars just exude quality and refinement, and when you visit Japan you can really understand how different it is there and how their lifestyle finds its way into the products they make. Ditch the Versa for a Scion xB if you can't afford a Prius, you will be much happier!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 6 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]436641[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry but it is far from a Renault Clio. It is a Japanese market Nissan Tiida made in Mexico. I don't know where you heard that, but the Renault/Nissan relationship just isn't to that level yet... http://www.carbodydesign.com/production-ca...%20Clio%201.jpg

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wouldn't buy first model year Nissans if I were you. Even more recent ones made in Japan tended to have reliability probs (03 350Z had quite a bit of trouble).

8. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for the info. I test drove one, too, and found it pretty cool for a little car. I've yet to try the Fit; it just doesn't have as many features as the Versa does. I may try it today if I have a chance. (Plus, Nissan is offering a ridiculous .7% interest...car could be paid off in slightly over two years FULLY LOADED...)

Anyhoo...I too have paranoia about first year cars, but...

9. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a soft spot in my heart after the Versa was prominently featured in the TV show "Heroes". There is a time (space) storyline and a blue Versa kept popping up.

Cheers!

10. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyotablackbox @ May 7 2007, 01:49 AM) [snapback]436692[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps I should have been more specific and said that it shares its platform with the Renault Clio. Road and Track magazine says it does, anyway. Renault is Nissan's corporate parent. And the Versa certainly looks a lot like a Renault. I suspect you are right about the difference in build quality between Nissans built in Japan and Mexico. I'm not sure what the quality of French made cars is these days. All I know is that I have a pepper mill made by Peugeot that only works some of the time.

11. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ May 7 2007, 09:48 AM) [snapback]436777[/snapback]</div>
    Um, I can't believe you are saying you have a 'soft spot' because you saw it on a TV show!, but then again I have to admit this was the first time I saw one too (and I liked the color) :)

Personally I like the look of the Yaris better (hatchback) and the look of the Fit the least.

On the other note note...Lively Chick: I'm sorry to hear about you had another accident :( I really feel for you, my wife had back to back front enders on her Sienna (one and then another just after she got the car back) and just couldn't believe her luck) Its a helpless feeling to be sure. Let's hope this is the last for a long time.

12. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ May 6 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]436577[/snapback]</div>
    Those are the old EPA numbers, by the way (new ones don't appear on stickers until 2008).
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorS...amp;model=Versa

That Versa actually gets 26 city, 33 highway.

Sorry to hear about all your wrecks. Yikes. But glad to hear you're ok through all them. :)

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've not sat in the Versa, but the Fit is a MUCH nicer vehicle than the Yaris. The Fit exudes quality, the Yaris exudes cheap.

14. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Honda Fit is everywhere in Japan, a VERY popular car. There it looks like a normal small car. Here when I see a Fit it looks tiny. Inside it's nice though. I've never driven one, but before my wife and I bought our Prius last October, we stopped at the Honda dealer twice to look at a Fit, and they never had one on the lot. I like the look of the Versa but I wouldn't buy a car made in Mexico. One reason my wife was impressed with the Prius, as was I, was that it is 100% Made in Japan. And so far the quality shows. I like the Yaris two door hatchback too, it is also made in Japan. It is a small inexpensive car. It doesn't seem cheap to me. I had a 1991 Honda Civic Wagon before we got our Prius, it was a stick shift with no AC or anything, and it got 40mpg all the time. Loved the car. Would love to have a modern version of that, and the Yaris hatchback seems like it would be similar. I did sit in a Fit one time, and I felt like I was sitting very low in the car, which I don't like. The Civic Wagon drivers position was very high, with good visibility out the windows. The Yaris Hatchback has that same feeling, which I much prefer. For now we're keeping our 1991 Corolla LE with only 114k. It is underpowered and the transmission is a little noisy, but overall it's in tip top shape and very reliable.

Dave

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ May 9 2007, 08:16 AM) [snapback]438244[/snapback]</div>
    No it doesn't. There's no driver's footrest, carpet mats are optional even on the Sport model. It's no different than the Yaris in terms of interior quality IMO. The Fit is more flexible and handles better though. The Yaris feels like I'm sitting on top of the car.

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We obviously disagree.