1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nitrogen in Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by john burns, Oct 22, 2009.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good point, although they tend to be expensive. The stainless steel ones hold up better for automotive use. As a bonus, you could keep some hot coffee at hand.

Some people have had trouble using a vacuum pump to fill their tires with vacuum. Generally this means they have the polarity reversed, and are unintentionally pulling the vacuum out of their tires.

;)

Tom

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: What about the overal environmental impact?

Either you made that up or there is something else going on.

If every bit of oxygen in your 40 psi winter tires tires leaked out, the pressure would only drop to 32 psi.

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was trying to go "real world". Hydrogen only asks for explosive issues. A tire runs hot, you hit a curb, pop and spark - and not your Prius is moving towards the moon.

Nice suggestion, I'll stick with my Helium.

4. mbartley

mbartley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You also would no longer need to worry about what pressure to keep your tires set to.

5. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Re: What about the overal environmental impact?

You do understand that atmospheric air (or whatever you call the stuff around us) is roughly 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. How did you purge that nasty oxygen from the tires you then filled with nitrogen?

You seem to have some good tires and some tires that leak. If the oxygen is the culprit, just filling a tire over and over with compressed air will eventually (and not in all that long) consist of almost 100% nitrogen, which you apparently feel resists leakage.

Let's compute: Initially 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. Say half the oxygen leaves the tire so you replace it with air, which consists of 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen, which pushes the nitrogen content to 88% and so on and so on.

6. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    People - please - while Myth-Busters and the like may seem like science, they are not.

Atmosphere (what you put in your tires) is 78.1 % (on average) Nitrogen. Very little Oxygen relatively speaking. So your tires always get Nitrogen - unless of course, you specify Oxygen - which must be a bit more controlled.

We have now shown without a doubt, Helium should be placed in tires.

Hydrogen, while a nice idea, is fraught with possible lawsuits etc.

We need to start asking all our tire shops to stock Helium.

As a downside, the Helium (like anything else placed in the tire) will eventually go back to our atmosphere.

I suggest swapping it out every year to be sure...

7. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is likely the most dangerous idea to date. It has so many issues, I'll just list a few.

1. Every time you open the door, the helium leaves (OK - obvious)
    2. There are huge vent spots in the front and rear of the car to allow Nitrogen in, diluting any perceived advantages.
    3. Most importantly this is DANGEROUS, and should not be pushed forward. *If* your scuba mask / Oxygen tank fails, you will die (lack of Oxygen).

I ask the moderators to please post some kind of disclaimer on this.

Please do not listen to this guy - be knows little about real world situations...

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you think that was a real post, you should probably dial up the oxygen level on your life support system.

Tom

2 people like this.
  9. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ??? Promoting filling your car with Helium is not a smart move - and dangerous ???

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Skoobrmax's post was not a serious post.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hence the need for rrolff to turn up the oxygen level on his life support.

:D

Tom

12. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    While too much Helium can kill - so can Oxygen. Each in moderation are fine - in their pure states, no one human on this planet can live. I'm just stating facts - not opinions...

The human body is a relatively fragile thing when it goes to consuming (or not consuming) various gases. Hence it is prudent to point out that placing a Helium cylinder in your car, turning it on (in effect filling the car with Helium), will cause death - not injury.

Same thing with Oxygen. Fill your car, and you will die.:confused:

13. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    RROLFF,

I think the point was being made that why limit yourself to lightening your load in your tires using Helium, when you can fill the whole damn car with it! If a little works well (tires) then a whole LOTTA oughta work wonders (car's interior). Why let silly little things like respiration get in the way of ultimate MPG's? That is where Skoobrmax was going with it.

It is also why Tom is giving you a hard time. Kinda like Dr. McCoy to Mr. Spock. The latter, taking everything seriously, the former teasing the latter that he doesn't get the joke.

Seriously, how much helium (kg) would be needed to fill all 4 tires compared to dry air? I'm assuming we are talking weight differences on a gram scale.

This thread is silly. Don't be the only Vulcan in a room filled with whoopee cushions. You'll miss out on the joke.

[​IMG]

Live Long and Prosper.

2 people like this.
  14. gbarry

gbarry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All seriousness aside, I went out and bought the vacuum pump. The darn thing won't go past 30! I know I have to run at least 42-44. I'm taking it back!

2 people like this.
  15. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys did not pick up on the real advantage of vacuum. I say pump air out from the cabin (after some sealing work) and drive in astronaut suit. However, find a light version as a heavy suit could ruin MPG advantage. Now, this is only practical on long drives to avoid cabin pressurization when opening doors. Important, don't forget diapers!

16. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I have no idea if you really know what you're talking about or just know enough to really b.s. me. It sounds reasonable in either case, and the result matches my understanding of physics, which I did take in college.

It seems to me the biggest leak would not be diffusion thru the tire, but around the rim and out the valve stem. But again, that would not distinguish between oxygen and nitrogen.

I would assume that if you keep a tire a very long time (don't wear out the tread for many years), there would be less interior oxidation with all-nitrogen and it would probably be in slightly better shape. But the bigger problem there is dry rot on the surface of the tire. Need to fill your garage with nitrogen, then you'd be set!

Interesting. I hadn't thought about that aspect. So I always use a hand pump to top off my tires, does that eventually mean the humidity in the tire is higher than if I used compressed air from a tank?

17. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, you're right. You did put seriousness to the side for that post.
    (Kind of like "I could care less"). I think you wanted "In all seriousness", or "all kidding aside", but this worked better.

This thread has been more fun than I expected. :)

18. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Only an Oxymoron would do that. They would go out in a flash of glory though.:D

1 person likes this.
  19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, as the tank will separate some of the water. A good water separator will do even better, but most tank systems don't have them.

Tom

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is better than mine, which can't even get to 15 no matter how long I let it run. That doesn't even get the rims off the ground.