1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No aftermarket front window tint in California.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by F8L, Jun 26, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a ticket for my front window tint yesterday by a CHP officer in Lincoln, CA.

Only about 4" of my passenger side window was even showing but it was enough to get me pulled over. Apparently I was missinformed about the actual law. There is absolutely no aftermarket tint allowed on front windows period. I called my buddy who is CHP in LA and he confirmed that the officer was correct.

I was given a fix-it ticket and a few months to get it corrected but according to both sources the officer has the discression to chose to make it a violation even on the first offence but generally upon your 3rd ticket for the front window tint you will then be charged with a real violation. IE don't cop an attitude or you may get the violation on your first stop. lol

2. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If they wanted to........they could stay busy for years just ticketing peeps for window tint in Calif.
    I see it everywhere and can't really understand how peeps get away with it.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh man... that sucks. so do you have to take it somewhere to confirm that it was fixed?

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Jun 26 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]468455[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, that's not right. Allow me to prove:

Which is located here: http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/tint_ca.html

1 person likes this.
  5. likesmpg

likesmpg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's correct... you can have 'tint', but it's so light it doesn't make a visual difference, except to maybe block some UV rays. Personally I have my front windows tinted at 50% (rears are 40%). Heck I even have the windshield 'tinted'. It's only 70% I believe and blocks almost ALL of the heat from coming through it. 3M Crystalline, awesome stuff!

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe factory tinted glass is about 88% VLT, so the tint on your front windows could be at most .70/.88 = 80% VLT to not violate CA vehicle code. Typically, the lightest film offered by most shops is 70%.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it's illegal up here in BC too.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Jun 26 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]468521[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect his windows are darker than allowed. Else how would they be noticed from the distance given the small amount showing.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I should have specified that any tint that really is noticible lol. I cannot remember the percentage tint I have on the front windows but it is pretty light. I was told that it was what was legal for front windows.

I'm going to talk to the shop that did mine and see what he says then confirm with my friend who just started with CHP in LA.

So as of right now I was told I have to remove the front tint and then have the ticket signed off. :(

10. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have 30% on my WS with no problems. <3 Indiana.

11. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has been illegal for at least 10 years in CA. That is why the people that use dark tint are just asking for a ticket. I tint my front roll-downs the lightest tint made and have never been stopped or even looked at funny. Think about that if you tint your windows. Oh, and if you add 22" DUBS, expect to be stopped too.

12. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In New Hampshire you cannot have any tint on front windows either, unless you have a medical waiver.

13. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

That sucks in my opinion! I have had it on all my cars in PA, hopefully I won't get a ticket now for saying that, but in my opinion it is safer to have it on and would argue with a cop over the fact.

With all the huge suvs on the road, I could not handle the lights from behind blinding you at night, the tint helps so much and keeps your eyes focused on the road ahead with no tint on the windshield......the cops issue is that they are afraid that they can't see you when they walk up....

In my opinion it depends on what kinda car you drive, but i guess not in CA, sounds like the cops out there need to get something better to do and get real criminals, not folks driving a hybrid! LOL (carrying a 38 or something just doesn't go with the Prius..lmao)

Good luck!

14. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Jun 27 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]469173[/snapback]</div>
    What F8L didn't tell us, he has Hydraulics and bounces the car up and down Santa Monica Blvd. :D
    also chopped and lowered, wild A$$ Graphics on the side of his Pri. :p :lol: :lol: and carries a MAC10
    It must be the Salsa Red !!
    Sorry to hear about the tint F8L, it looks good though

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Jun 27 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]469173[/snapback]</div>
    But it's not safer for the Cop who now has to approach a car full of suspects at night with no clue as to what is going on inside the car. My friends who are cops tell me they usually don't stop for that particular infraction but may add it on if you put them in the "Mood" so to speak.

Wildkow

16. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is some truth to that. I used to always love being on the freeway some where and a car would go blowing by at 100 MPH with limo tint windows at 2:00 a.m. and when you finally stopped them the first words out of their mouth were "You only stopped me because I am "Green"". I got to the point after they would rant and scream that I would say, "Yes sir (or mam), you have limo tint on your windows, it's 2:00 a.m., pitch black outside and you were doing 100 MPH- but it was the fact you are green that made me stop you.

17. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 28 2007, 04:25 AM) [snapback]469284[/snapback]</div>

that's why anyone who gets stopped should roll down both front windows! (and put their hands on the steering wheel if they really want to be "good")

we got a fixit for our tint once... we got stopped for hubby speedin..... he let us off on that and gave us the fix-it instead.... i paid the fixit ticket and left the tint rather than trying to remove the tint and then getting it redone after getting the ticket signed off....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Jun 28 2007, 06:23 AM) [snapback]469333[/snapback]</div>

not to mention.... with the freakin' limo tint.... how the hell could you tell whether they were green or pink or teal???????????????????????????? *rolls eyes*

18. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Jun 27 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]469173[/snapback]</div>
    I wish you good luck with that. I'm not too sure a policeman would be happy to engage in such an argument.

19. mexthug6

mexthug6 New Member

Can anyone tell me how much a ticket for front tinted windows is in California? Thanks.

20. mikej83

mikej83 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(califdriver @ Jul 17 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]480453[/snapback]</div>

$150 - $200, depending on your county. Call the traffic division of your local court and ask them what the fee is for a violation of 26708(a). FYI, a little politeness goes a long way with the court clerks.