1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No aftermarket front window tint in California.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by F8L, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Jun 27 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]469173[/snapback]</div>
    For your information, a large percentage of routine traffic stops end up being felony arrests. Criminals that don't care about felony crimes also don't care about traffic laws. This attitude ends up getting them stopped initially for minor traffic issues, which then end up in the discovery of major felony violations.

Front window tinting has been illegal in California for well over 15 years and with good reason. During a routine traffic stop if a cop can't see inside a vehicle due to the tinting, his/her life may very well be in jeopardy. Past law enforcement deaths are proof of that. With this in mind I have no problem following the tinting laws in my state.

2. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In California you can tint the rear windows (past the B pillar) as much as you'd like to, I used to have a Toyota Tercel with limo tints on all windows (not on the windshield!) when I lived in FL, as soon as I moved to CA I was told by a local cop that I had to remove the tint from my driver and passenger doors, but the rear tints could stay.

BTW, I'm living in Korea right now and I am not entirely sure if they have tint laws here as the Korean law code is confusing even to native speakers of the language, let alone for an Yangnom like me, but I have seen cars here with limo tint ALL around the car, even the front windshield, I sat in a car like that once and you could barely see anything inside the car during the day; at night it's a cave in there! Crazy to drive like that at night...!

3. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had all my windows except the windscreen tinted to 30%, I believe, and I've driven about 45,000 of my 60,000 miles on California highways without being pulled over for it.

That said, I'm quite aware that it's an illegal amount of tint, I'm just saying nobody's pulled me over for it, for what it's worth ;).

4. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    that sux bro, im not a bog fan of TINT, but some car, including the prius with all the huge windows really do need it

i live in SoCal and i am planning on tinting the windows, very very light on the 2 front ones

and something like 30%-40% on the rears and hatch

5. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The place where I got my previous car tinted would charge $10 to remove the tint after you got the ticket, and charge another $10 to re-install after the inspection. I thought that was a pretty clever deal.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people get lucky others do not.

One of my friends at the shop has never been pulle dover for tint in his sports cars (89 GTA, 2007 C6 Vette) but he recently had tint put on his 2006 Civic hybrid and he got a ticket 3 weeks later for the front windows with 50% tint. 50% is pretty light yet they nailed him anyway. I'm starting to believe my law enforcement friends when they say we are getting pulle dover because most CHP/PD are pretty conservative and hate hippies (only hippies drive hybrids you know).

5% tint looks great on the back portion of the Prius and is not too dark in most cases. 70% on the front would likely pass for stock tint but it may still be noticible if an officer really wants to tag you for something.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a great deal!

Problem is you would not want to make this a habit due to the penalties of repeated "fix-it tickets". My friend with the Civic was pretty heated over the ticket so I think it may have been more than a fix-it ticket but I'll get the details before I assume it he was hit with a violation (IE a real ticket).

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tinting the front side windows has been illegal for over 20 years because I got a fix it ticket for it in 1985 in Citrus Heights. I had to remove the tint and show it at a CHP station plus I had to forfeit $50 or appear in Sac Co Court (I lived in the Bay area at the time, so I sent the check).

The tint was so light that I didn't even realize it wasn't factory until the CHP officer pointed it out to me. I had only bought the Toyota truck a few weeks before.

I agree with others that there is probably some selective enforcement on this; in my case I was in an area where there was a lot of cruising activity, and the officer might have thought I was drinking (I wasn't). So I got a fix it ticket instead of a DUI.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew it was illegal to a degree but I was told over and over by people that a certain percentage was legal. Now that I've seen what is considered legal I could honestly say it is almost like not having tint at all. lol

My roomate is an officer with Citrus Heights PD :)

10. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I posted this on a different thread, but I'll repost it here, as there is such thing as CA-legal front window tinting, it's just not that dark:

For North California drivers, I got a quote for tinting the Prius for $210 using Suntek Carbon, which never fades and does not interfere with GPS or cell phones. The quote includes 35% tint on the rear windows and hatch, plus CA-legal tint on the front windows. The film used on the front windows is 90%, therefore CA legal and they will provide a certificate which can be shown if ever harassed by the law (this is legal according to CA vehicle code). They gave me a quote for $159 without tinting the front windows. These prices include taxes and lifetime guarantee. You can see them at Window Tinting Plus: The Professional Touch. They are located in Fremont and Oakland.

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  12. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the link, pay special attention to subdivision (d) on the link above, and further (d) (4), which specifies the certificate from the company installing the window tint. I would print this part of the vehicle code and carry it with the certificate in my car's glove box if I tinted the front windows in CA, just in case you get approached by a cop who's foaming at the mouth to give you a ticket.

13. L's dad

L's dad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I see those with tinted front side windows so dark that I cannot see the face of the driver or passenger, I MUST presume they do not see me. Furthermore, I believe they are acting as foolishly as those who drive excessively-lifted pickups or SUVs and who may think the world revolves around them. BTW, I drive a pickup and a jeep (and formerly rode a motorcycle), but I understand the basics of physics so they are not lifted. (Real off-road racing vehicles are lifted only enough to provide sufficient ground and tire clearance.)

It is sad, but I figger those who drive those tinted-window/lifted vehicles will someday join creation's other mistakes. I do hope they take out only themselves when the inevitable happens.

14. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Airblue on my windshield, but I doubt any cop could ever tell unless they were told

15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I agree, Airblue 80 on the windshield, Pinnicle 50 on all the rest!! The UV was KILLING the interior!!!

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that the 2010 Prius has nearly legal limit tint already on the front windows (California laws). Adding more tint on top of that even if it is 80% could put you at risk for a ticket.

17. guru_del

guru_del New Member

I had tint on my front windows for roughly 150K miles. My wife drove my car to a meeting once and got pulled over for the tint, boy was she mad hahah. Anyways long story short I removed it myself with no issues, took a razor blade, some goof off, windex and about 30 minutes time. One tip i learned though was to do it on a hot day, leave the car parked in the sun with all the windows up for a few hours to soften the adhesive.

Went to the local police station to get the fix it signed off, cost me another $15 administration fee and she didnt even check the car......