1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

no ash tray

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rwithop, Nov 30, 2004.

1. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    wow...now I'm glad that my mom made me eat the pack of cigaretts, as a kid when she found me smoking.. I thought that was a bad habit.. now my doctor tells me that that was bad..I have managed restaurants, bars, married four smoking women (they smoked as well).. I really don't miss the ash tray...

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    roflmao

me: :guns: :cussing: <-smoker

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont quite agree, in the act of killing themselves they could end up killing innocents too. Imagine a driver high on drugs on the wrong side of the highway...

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Topic drift. It's what keeps threads from getting boring.

Stephen Jay Gould and a colleague whose name I never paid attention to offered a theory called punctuated equilibrium. I don't know what is the most recent thought on the subject, but the idea is that evolution operates in small, isolated populations, and that most species remain relatively unchanged throughout most of their existance.

If this theory is correct, then the human race is not currently evolving, and any arguments about "improving" the species by withholding medical intervention are flawed.

Personally, I think overpopulation is a serious problem, but I think the solution is in birth control, not in withholding medical care or in allowing wars to ravage the planet.

5. snarfo

snarfo New Member

Hear, hear, Daniel. I've been saying that for years. Well, I normally phrase it along the lines of, "Damn breeders need to keep their pants on once in a while," but it's all the same.

I read an interesting article where several scientists had estimated the planet can only indefinitely sustain a population of 3 or so billion people--- any more than that and resources get consumed faster than they can be replenished. Perhaps the rest of the world (especially the Bible-belt states in the U.S. :roll: ) should push for a law like China's that limits the numbers of children that chicks can crank out. The problems that has caused in China (which are too lengthy to get into here) are probably outweighed by the long-term benefits.

6. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Holy cow! I saw the first couple of posts in this thread when it started and then I stopped paying attention because I don't really need an ash tray in my Prius. But it kept popping up and getting longer and longer, and I couldn't figure out why people found the ash tray so interesting. So I finally gave into curiousity and clicked on the thread--I had no idea what I was getting into!

Incidentally, my old car (a Civic) didn't have an ash tray either--too bad, that's where I store change. It had a strange tiny rectangular cut out next to the radio, which is where I kept change. I haven't found a good place for change in the Prius. Oh wait, that's a different thread isn't it :wink: .

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a tray in the arm rest?

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The hand-hold in the door works very nicely. I use it for bridge tokens. I have no need for other change.

9. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's where I kept my sunglasses in my Civic, because I was always too lazy to grope around in the driver's door for the case to put them away properly. Plus they were easily accessible there.

I thought the hand-hold in the Prius would be too small for any quantity of change, but I'll have to check it out.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I use the tray in the center console, works fine. In a way it is more convenient than the little drop down storage bin I used in my Odyssey. With the tray, the change spreads out so it is easy to pick out the right combination without scooping up a bunch and sorting through it.

I imagine if I filled the door hand-hold, it wouldn't be very useful for closing the door. :)

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've tried to ignore this about 20 times now, but the ER doc in me has to comment.

PLEASE folks, don't ever do anything like this with your own kids (it's ok to do with your neighbor's kids though). Ingested tobacco is many many times more toxic than when smoked.

As little as a single cigarette ingested by a small child can be fatal or cause severe illness. (see This Article about 1/2 way down--site requires registration, but it's a great medical resource) You may find the other drugs that can cause death in kids in a single small dose interesting.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(betshsu\";p=\"56430)</div>
    How much change do you need to keep in your car??? Well, I only need to have a few bridge tokens there at a time, so it doesn't affect the utility of the hand-hold.

As for the tray in the center console, I took that out so that I can fit my CD's in there.

13. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel\";p=\"56601)</div>
    How much change do you need to keep in your car??? Well, I only need to have a few bridge tokens there at a time, so it doesn't affect the utility of the hand-hold.

As for the tray in the center console, I took that out so that I can fit my CD's in there.
    [/b][/quote]

Just enough to feed an occasional parking meter and the air pump :D. And when I move to a more urban environment, I may need more change to feed even more parking meters. But I knew that the hand-hold was smaller length-wise than in my Civic, I just didn't realize how deep it was unlike I looked at it this evening.

Anyhow, right now my change is in that center tray, but I don't know if I like it sliding around--I've found it down in the main compartment. I'll try it for a while and see how it works. Ah... topic drift. Should I mention the words "ash tray" in this post?

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    great link Evan...

i was definitely surprised to hear how toxic common drugs are even in very small portions... the story about the Amitriptyline o.d in the infant was particularly alarming.

15. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    air pump costs money?! to pump up your tyres? you have to pay for that there? wow.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roger\";p=\"56651)</div>
    Yea, kinds sucks. Most places it takes $0.25-0.50 for about 5 minutes of air. You learn pretty quickly where the 'free air' is.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never seen a gas station that charged for air. And the only parking meters I know about are in one very small parking lot on one of the university campuses, which is always full anyway so there's no point in even trying to park there.

Little things like that contribute to this being a nice place to live.

18. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    But what about the wood chippers? Around here they use them for shredding brush but in Fargo...
    :wink:

19. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A couple of weeks ago I stopped by the Chevron station, which at a mile and a half away is closest to our house, to adjust the air pressure in the tires. I was out of change, so I went in to get a few quarters. The attendant refused to take my dollar bill and just handed me a free token to operate the air pump. I needed to get two more before I finished adjusting the pressure in all four tires. I doubt that I got more than a minute's worth of air for each coin.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ah the benefits of living in a small town... a small town like Olympia USED to be...

the last free air pump service ended about 1999 i believe. basically it broke down and was never repaired. it was still broke the day the gas station it was attached to went out of business.