1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Audio Screen Controls on a 2002

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by depriusoto, Jul 6, 2013.

1. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I go on checking out this car I'm finding what's needing repair.
    Radio, tape player and CD player all work and the volume and tuner switches all work.
    I do not get the audio controls screen on the MDS. The info screen is there as are the info for the battery and mileage. The controls for adjusting the brightness and contrast also come up.Car doesn't have navigation.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Ed

2. ToyodaJoe

ToyodaJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Maybe check the condition of your 12V battery. I was experiencing erratic behavior with my display/stereo controls before I replaced a weak battery.

3. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12 volt seems to be in good condition. I'm monitoring it with my Scanguage II and at this point since all I can do is start the car up and let it idle until I get the locked shifter figured out. When the car is idling it shows 13.5-7 volts which is in the normal range. I'd like to use the onboard battery info screen also, but, Alas and Alake! it is only accessible, so far as I know, from the audio control screen.

4. Rick atl

Rick atl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure your cd player wire harness is correctly connected. It can be connected wrong and will cause problems, unfotunately I forget the exact symptom... there is, or was, a factory label on the leg that plugs into vehicle harness so people won't mix them up. You may be able to see this with a flashlight after only removing lower console cover. Hope this helps.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Occasionally on this forum somebody will stumble on the diagnostic screens in the MFD and get excited hoping they are an alternative to an OBD scanner for engine/powertrain, and I have disappointed them by saying sorry, they only work for diagnosing connections between the audio components, MFD, and nav.

Thanks for giving me the rare opportunity to say, you know, those MFD diagnostics could be just what you're looking for!
    mfddiag.jpg

The "MDCH" on mine is my iPod interface (masquerading as a minidisc changer) so you shouldn't be concerned if it's not on your display. Yours should show a CD player, which I don't have.

If anything shows other than OK, you can also drill down to specific error codes and post those here (or look them up in the manual at techinfo.toyota.com). This was definitely helpful to me when I was first trying to get the iPod thingy to play nice.

Hope this helps,
    -Chap

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chap,
    Thanks! Am I correct thinking that this can only be accessed from the audio screen and not the info screen?
    Ed

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You get to it from the screen that comes up when you press DISPLAY. I'll just write this quickly but you can find plenty of forum messages more detailed if you need, or of course look it up at techinfo. Ignition on, parking brake on, normal display on. Press DISPLAY. There's a rectangle around most of the screen. Touch six times alternating the top and bottom left corners of the rectangle (TL BL TL BL TL BL). The check screen should come up.

You can also bring it up with a wire between the TC and CG pins at the DLC3 connector, but if you do it that way it comes up in Japanese. :)

-Chap