1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No audio, tried replacing radio, did not work.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Keener, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Sam Keener

Sam Keener New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last month, my car got slightly flooded, and ever since then, the audio hasn't worked at all. For a brief period, I could hear it extremely softly with lots of loud pops here and there, but now it's completely out. In addition, there is now what appears to be a parasitic drain on the car, and if I leave it for more than 24 hours, the battery is dead. I tried replacing the radio, and I got some sound out, but it was still EXTREMELY faint. The fading and audio settings still work on the Main screen, but no sound at all. Is this a dead amplifier? I assumed it was because it definitely got wet, but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When electronics get wet, it could be many issues. But audio it can be speakers, amp, radio, wiring, weak battery..........

Sam Keener and SFO like this.
  3. Sam Keener

Sam Keener New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do I go about narrowing it down? I replaced the radio and I don't think that did anything. The battery has definitely been draining quickly and I've had to get several jumps over the past few weeks. How could I diagnose it so I know I'm not throwing money and time in the wrong direction?

Thanks for your help.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may have a touring model with the JBL audio amp under the front seat and it drowned.

Back in the day lots of posts about the turn on circuit for that amp failing and the amp would be on all the time not just when you turn the radio on and overnight it would kill the battery. Drove lots of people crazy.
    If you have the jbl under the seat that's your issue.

Sam Keener and davecook89t like this.
  5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Define "slightly." How high up did the water get?

6. Sam Keener

Sam Keener New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I do! Would replacing the amp fix the problem? Or is there a way to fix the amp?

To be honest, I'm not sure. Enough to make it over the bottom of the door, but not enough that I was even sure it was flooded until I eliminated other options. At first I thought I left a door or window open, or there might have been a leak, but considering nothing above the floor was wet, and the extent of how wet the floor was, I am 99% confident the water seeped in through the doors. I doubt it was more than a quarter inch, because there weren't really deep puddles or anything.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I might have an amp from a 2008 model (under seat). It's for sale if you need one

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember back in the day posters were getting there amp repaired for the turn on circuit but an amp thats been in a flood is another story.
    It has not output which means the output section is blown in addition to whatever else. Its a 10 years old amp. Move on.

That was many years ago. Go to Best Buy and price a new system if you got the dough. They are very familiar with the Prius.

Btw. the lowest part of the car is the hole the 12 volt battery sits in in the rear hatch area and under the spare tire. Take the hatch out and get a flashlight and look in the battery hole for standing water. I bet its right to the top. Just like under the spare tire there's a rubber donut hole plug in the battery well. Pull that plug out and the water will drain out. if you let it sit it will rust up pretty good in the hole. Seen pictures on here of the whole floor in that battery well falling out.

Sam Keener likes this.
  9. Sam Keener

Sam Keener New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, everybody for the advice! I will check the battery well tomorrow when it's light out. I will also look into getting a new amp. I'm wondering if my father, who has a 2007, would let me borrow his amp for an hour to test it out.

Quick question: if my amp is in fact causing a drain on the battery, could I just unplug it and fix that problem until I get a new one?

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes you can unplug it that will kill the drain on the battery and the radio sound of course.

Sam Keener likes this.
  11. Sam Keener

Sam Keener New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you everybody! The amp was the problem. I switched it with another factory amp and it fixed all the problems. Thanks for your help and advice!

Raytheeagle likes this.