1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No AUTO setting on the headlight switch

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vonnie, Feb 18, 2015.

1. vonnie

vonnie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just bought a 2013 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase) and there does not seem to be an AUTO setting on the headlight switch. Am I just out of luck and will have to time travel back to the '90's and turn the headlight switch on and off every time I drive?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like deciding when my headlites come on. but i'm more 60's than 90's.:oops:

xpcman and vonnie like this.
  3. vonnie

vonnie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The salesman said there was an auto feature, but it turned out nothing indicates that on the switch.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just leave the switch on and it will turn itself on and off. There is a setting on the mfd display for how long it stays on after you shutoff the car. Believe the default is 30 sec.

vonnie likes this.
  5. vonnie

vonnie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So I just leave it on. On any car I've ever driven that would mean a call to AAA Auto Club for a battery charge. Cool. Thanks.

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Don't manually leave an interior light on or you will be calling AAA

7. vonnie

vonnie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Okay I have done that but managed to catch it before battery drained. Thanks.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on the specific model, I think the manual details at least 3 different systems.

vonnie likes this.
  9. vonnie

vonnie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the manual has several which all say "AUTO" and then say "if equipped", and mine was apparently just not equipped. Thanks.

10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mine is a v model 3 and it does not say "Auto" on the light control. But it does go on and off automatically when left in the On position. The time options are "Settings" "Vehicle" scroll down, last option. You do have to open the door for it to function.

Other "Auto" controls may turn the lights on and off at dusk and dawn, the option on a v3 simply turns them on and off with the car.

vonnie likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He probably meant 'Auto-Off', which means the lights turn off after you shut off the ignition and exit the car. On our Liftbacks, the delay can be configured as 0-30-60-90 seconds, factory default is 30. I thought your 'v' was the same. This is a notch lower than full Auto headlights.

Of course, he could have said anything. Don't believe everything salescritters say.
    That was up to the 1980s, at least in my household. By the 1990s, we got this Auto-Off feature. This allows a 'poor man's' DRL, by just turning the headlights on once, when you get the car home, and never ever turn them off.

vonnie likes this.
  12. EddieDesigns

EddieDesigns Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    just make sure when you're new at this, you test the auto-off feature using the DRIVER'S door (IE: don't go in through the passenger door to test, like I did, as getting around the Prius in the garage to get to the driver's door was virtually impossible for me, which is on the opposite side of the garage from where I was getting into the garage from the mud room), the auto-off feature will shut off the exterior lights 30 seconds after you close the DRIVER'S door :giggle: D'OH!

vonnie likes this.
  13. vonnie

vonnie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Okay. I have tested it several times in the last couple of days and have encountered no problems with just leaving it on. Thanks everyone!

14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is that procedure painful? I'd never noticed.

WilDavis and lar.smith42 like this.