1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Availability Of Touring IN PA

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by takefoto, Mar 27, 2008.

1. kazie60

kazie60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    license plates

I immediately removed the dealership license plate and put on plain black plates. However in the back it is too thick to reach the hatch door easily. Do you know where I can get a thinner black plates?

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: license plates

Hi kazie,

I'm not sure I fully understand your questions, but I would get the same license frame that you use in the front. Just go to a hardware store that sells individual screws, and get longer screws with a 6mm thread. It's what I did with mine.

3. kazie60

kazie60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    license plates

I didn't want the dealership name on my plates so I removed them and got two plain black frames. They are thicker than the dealer plates. No problem for the front plate. But the rear plate sticks out more than the dealership plate and it is hard to get your hand between the plate and the door handle to open the hatch. I need the same slimness of the first plate.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did the same thing as you. Didn't want the dealer frames, so I got 2 cheap ($3), plain, black plastic frames from a local auto supplies store. They were a lot thicker than the dealer frames, so I just got longer 6mm thread screws. Although these frames were a lot thicker, they didn't interfere with my getting to the rear hatch latch, so that's why I'm having a little trouble understanding the probs you're having.

BTW, I have 2 extras of these plain, black plastic frames. You can have them if you want (just PM me with your address, and promise to give the shipping costs to charity or a homeless person, and I'll send them to you), but I think you'll probably be able to find them at just about any of your local auto supplies stores (I've seen them in different stores here).

Anyways, good luck.

5. kazie60

kazie60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hummm. I don't get it. The thicker plate works fine in front but in the rear the lip on the top of the plate gets in the way of your hand when you want to open the hatch door. It is difficult to get your hand between the plate and the latch handle. I can't see how a different screw would make any difference???

Thanks for your generous offer. I am sure I can find flat one somewhere around here.
    Kay

6. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is a good thing that I live in PA and our state do not require plates in front. :D As far as your think plate frame is concerned, Toyota dealers sell attractive looking plate holders with the Toyota emblem.

7. kazie60

kazie60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good idea. I will check with them. Thanks.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Kazie,

When I was at my auto parts & supplies store this weekend, I did see plate frames that were even thinner than the typical dealer plastic frames:

1. Thin rounded metal frame in black. Not only is this thinner, but because of its rounded nature, it won't snag/scrape the top of your fingers when you reach for the hatch latch.

2. Extremely thin flat stainless steel frame. These were about the thickness of the license plate itself. Looked good, but only saw it in stainless steel.

Good luck.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A