1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No break work

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jdonalds, Jul 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    A few years back my son and his wife bought our Gen III which had about 160K miles on it. She contacted me this week to let me know that the car now has 217,000 miles and still on the factory brakes! Great car, super reliable.

We now have a Honda Clarity PHEV. I no longer consider buying an ICE nor a hybrid as up-to-date technology. They are just gas explosion machines. We charge our Clarity with our roof solar. I'm never going back.

The Prius Prime is a good option for the right driving pattern. We needed the extra EV range of the Clarity. Also Toyota so radically changed the Prius at model IV that we no longer wanted that car. My wife wouldn't even get in to sit in it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now everyone here will want to know...did you ever have the EGR cleaned out and if not,,,why haven't you blown a head gasket and started burning a lot of oil?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Because the EGR is not guaranteed to plug up......and the head gasket is not guaranteed to fail.......and they don't ALL "burn a lot of oil".

Posts like his are rare because nobody has any incentive to come to a forum like this and say: "I just stopped by to say that I love my vehicle......that is 15 years old with 300K miles. It works perfectly and never has had any major problems.".....even though there probably thousands of people who could say that and be telling the truth.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Contact your union rep, you should have at least a 15-minute break while on the job according to labor laws.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota USA recommends a brake service tri-yearly or 30k miles, regardless of pad depth.

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are absolutely correct ! Out of the millions of Prius’ that have been sold, the ones that have the problems are usually the exception to the rule.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Honda clarity phev has a gas explosion engine that functions as a hybrid and it’s up to date. To really really stand by your claim, you’ll need a Tesla battery or hydrogen powered vehicle.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    because regenerative car's brakes wear so little under most instances, brake service means brake inspection. Most people can do that themselves with very little effort or knowledge. Anyway, with that in mind, of course they recommend brake service. They need to send their kids to college like everybody else. Last time I went in they "recommended" that I change my cabin filter. "Only $90". I said, "you mean that little modular compartment underneath the glove box that I do myself - in 30 seconds with a filter from Amazon for $9?"
    Yea - no sale

9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And in most parts of the world it also means fresh brake fluid.