1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No codes now, but won't start.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by JWLinkin, Dec 16, 2020.

1. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The current condition, no codes but won't start (turn over) Before the current situation, the 12 Volt battery was replaced a few months ago. Then recently it wouldn't start and it had p3191 code. So I cleaned the mass air flow sensor with MAF cleaner. Cleaned out the throttle body -- which was very dirty. Replaced the air filter. It started up an ran fine. My daughter let it sit for a week and tried to start it -- it wouldn't start. I tried to start it and sure enough, she was correct it wouldn't start. The dash lights came on okay, but the engine wouldn't turn over. I attached the OBD and it showed no codes. I had the key in the on position for several minutes while attaching and detaching the OBD. I tried to start it and it started right up. Drove it a couple miles. stopped and started it over and over without a problem. Daughter let it sit a couple days and now it won't crank -- again. She says the lights on the dashboard are dim, and then get bright again? She also said it was making an odd noise from the behind her (not the engine compartment) Any ideas? Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    loose connection at the 12v? do you know how to test the battery voltage?

3. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll check the connections, and I have a multimeter. I've been told the voltage for the 12 volt should be greater than 12 volts. Thank you.

4. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked the battery for voltage -- only 8.9 volts. I took it to Advance Auto and the battery tested as "damaged" (not sure what that means, but it was a bad battery). I reinstalled the old Panasonic battery after charging it and the car runs fine. I don't understand why the OBD didn't pop up any codes. As it turns out, the original problem was not the battery, but apparently the throttle body, which was extremely dirty. One of the tubes leading from the throttle body was about half clogged. What would cause the throttle body to be so dirty? Is there something I need to do to prevent this? The car only has 120K miles on it. On another issue, the traction battery that we got from Greentec Auto a couple years ago has been fine -- it has Chinese cells but hasn't been a problem. Greentec Auto's price was good and the guys that installed the battery were efficient.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius are notorious for throttle body clogging. nothing i've read but to clean it more often.

JWLinkin likes this.
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    it has Chinese cells

Is there any way you could post some photos of these? I realize that's a bit complicated, but maybe, if you ever have the cover off or can peak in the side, you can squeeze off a couple photos. It would be interesting to see if they're serialized similar to the Panasonics.

7. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my daughter's car and I only get into it when something goes wrong. Hopefully the traction battery will not be something wrong anytime soon. If there is a problem where I have to get into that area I'll snap some photos for you. ☺