1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No continuity in voltage sensor ecu connector

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Szulkarn, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Szulkarn

Szulkarn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all. In the previous episode of my last thread

P0b42 code | PriusChat

I managed to dig further the matter why im still getting the code.

i cleaned out the corrosions in all pins.
    i unplugged the battery smart unit or voltage sensor ecu. i found slight corrosion on the male and female connector. no burnt , just slight corrosion, cleaned it. visually checked all the cable with 14 pins on it, and cleaned them too.

techstream reset the dtc but it still came back.

i then checked for continuity of the 14 pins cable thats goes to the smart unit/voltage sensor ecu. sure enough, one of the wire has lost continuity! toyota tech now is sure that the cable is the cause of it.

Problem is. Toyota doesnt sell JUST the cable. they only comes if i buy the whole HV battery assembly.
    SO i'm trying to ask , if its possible to open the connector and recrimped the pins in the female socket.

does anybody knows where i can buy just a set of the sire harness.
    thanks.

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the US at least, this seems to depend on the Prius generation. For Gen 1 and Gen 2, the "wire, frame, no. 2" can be ordered separately. For Gen 3, it cannot. (Bastiges!) I'm not quite sure which should apply to you: this is the Gen 3 forum, but your profile says a 2009, which would be the last model year of Gen 2 in the US.

If the harness really cannot be bought from Toyota, my first preference would still be to try to get one in good condition, maybe from a recycler or someone who repairs the batteries.

It probably is possible to accomplish a repair of the harness, and Toyota's refusal to sell it might make that necessary in some places with limited other options.

The connector looks like the familiar double-locking type; the white bar lifts as the secondary lock, and an individual lance at each terminal is the primary lock. I don't know what type of terminal is used there, but I know that some threads here have mentioned a source in Japan that sells many of the terminal types Toyota uses, uncrimped and in small quantities.

One should certainly make sure the harness is removed from the battery before any disassembly of that connector, or at least that all the bus bars on the other side of the battery have been removed first.

I do not know what type of wire they use for that harness. Any repair would need to keep in mind that those wires are bundled very close together and have very thin insulation, with voltages up to 300 volts between them; this may be a specialty wire. I would approach any repair of this harness as carefully as possible.

There might be an opportunity to build an improved harness with current-limiting resistors at the battery ends, an idea that has been raised here before.

In that thread, it was posted that @2k1Toaster may have the ability to build these harnesses. I don't know if that extends to Gen 3 ones.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looking at the HV battery photo, it's a Gen 3. Gen 3 cables and Gen 3 side plate clamp.
    That harness is available all over ebay. I probably have 30 in the garage from Gen 3 batteries I've disassembled. Maybe it's time for me to throw those on ebay?

Are there any hybrid shops in your area or similar 'ebay' websites in Indonesia?
    A shop may have an extra 'parts' battery available that has the harness for a few $$.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My one misgiving would be that ebay ones for Gen 3 are near-certainly used ones (as new ones aren't sold), and could be well on their way to similar failures.