1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Dash Lights? Don’t be an idiot like me.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Reesmaxwell, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Reesmaxwell

Reesmaxwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My wife who is shorter than I (this is your hint), returned from a trip across town telling me that the dash lights did not display. I turn the car on and sure enough the dash lights do not display, actually it does show Ready and the seatbelt light shows up and the brake light and the green light showing that my lights are on...and very dimly the park reverse neutral drive light cluster shows up. But all of the rest is down. Even the green light behind the power button does not show up though curiously the amber light turns on when it’s first pressed.

So being the Brilliant one that I am, I whip out the manual and look at all of the different fuses that exist in this vehicle. Two different locations, and a boatload of fuses later, I have narrowed it down to a couple of likely fuses. I go to the local car parts store and buy this fancy fuse puller that also includes a tester. The fuse puller is too large for the teeny fuses in the left side interior box but the sales guy shows me that my main fuse box has a small fuse puller in it. I now think I’m almost done.

After pulling several different fuses out and testing them and finding that they all work I am totally stumped. And so is the sales guy.

I get in the car to drive away without any dash lights showing me how fast I am going, etc. when I noticed that even though my radio display is on the display underneath it showing my temperature and fan does not have any backlight.

I’m sure you guessed several paragraphs ago what the issue was but only at this point did I realize that someone had bumped the display brightness setting turning it all the way off. It is right next to the mirror adjustment four-way button. Perhaps an errant knee or someone searching for the mirror adjustment button...

Next time you have no display on the dash check your dimmer switch first! (Ugh, I’m such an idiot.):notworthy:

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No worries. Figuring out your own problem is admirable ;).

Posting so others can learn is commendable :).

Thanks for sharing(y).

3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I even did a video on that dimmer scroll lol...

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The other kind of temporarily scary non-failure of the dash display is what happens if an unseen paper card covers the dash just below the left side of the displays.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had the display go out on me last night. I'd been fumbling, trying to adjust the sideview mirror, not sure where the controls for that were, by feel. Put two and two together: yup, dash brightness dialed right down.

Raytheeagle likes this.