1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No DVD Please insert Map DVD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by robl45, Jan 16, 2018.

1. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I saw this message the other day and restarted the car and it went away, that was probably a week or so ago. Today it came back again and won't go away. I took the disc out of the dvd load under the seat and put it back in, but no matter what, it still says no dvd insert dvd. It also says checking DVD and then goes back to no DVD.

Has anyone had this issue and know how to solve it?

EDIT: Just went out to car, turned it on and it works again. Obviously I don't imagine it will keep working. Any ideas?

#1 robl45, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you might have a bit of dust on the Laser, or the pickup. If you can, shoot a small burst of DRY air into the DVD reader and try to dislodge the dust. DO NOT tip a can of air so the liquid comes out, it could mess it even more than it is! On my Gen II I puled the cover off, made this task much easier, and it fixed my problem!

3. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So shoot compressed air into the dvd slot? What do you mean by take the cover off, you mean physically unscrew the unit from the floor and open it up like you would do for the reset button? I can do that if it makes it work better.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, car was powered off, I disconnected the unit, pulled it from the car, opened it up, cleaned it, worked fine after that! CD & DVD players were never designed to work for years in a filthy auto environment! Or you can have Toyota look at it, then they will probably try to stiff you with a new expensive unit!
    BTW, for what it's, I am a board level maintenance tech among other things, this is second nature to me!!

5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm trying to pull the dvd player. It is a bitch to get at the screws. Do I have to remove the seat?
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You shouldn't have to, but you will need to move the seat all the way to the most rearward position. Gain access from the LH (US Driver's) door.

kenoarto likes this.