1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No Heat: Coolant Pumps During Main Mode, Not While Running

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Marcilla Smith, Feb 15, 2024.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Post 7 above is straight out of the repair manual and includes tests using a bidirectional scanner your hybrid shop should have. Complete guides are available for a fee from the Toyota “Technical Information System” (TIS link below) although this system is oriented to techs with some Toyota training.

Your shop could verify coolant flow through the heater is not blocked inside the heater core “radiator” or by other devices in the same flow path.

So one can verify heater flow (not just coolant in the hoses) and manually actuate the “air mix control damper” (blend door) with a scanner.

Detail from post 7 with Air Mix Control Damper highlighted in Yellow

IMG_4599.jpeg

Accessing the damper is a multi day job requiring removal of the dash and hvac system followed by reassembly. Not the recommended diagnostic method.

Toyota Technical Information System (TIS)
    https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ti_home_page&goto=https://techinfo.toyota.com:443/agent/custom-login-response?state=7P4ca2qKIFPfikQ6Zr8V18CVeOk&original_request_url=https://techinfo.toyota.com:443/

Attached Files:

#21 rjparker, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    Marcilla Smith likes this.
  2. Marcilla Smith

Marcilla Smith Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To update, let me respond to Mr. Parker's earlier recap:

Head gasket problem now COMPLETELY resolved with replacement motor.

Still no heat. As a matter of fact, the outside temp gauge says it's 81 here in Miramar, FL, but "HI" heat blows as cold as the A/C (which, thankfully, is working great).

I do not have one, but my guy plugged in this morning. He says there are no codes, and he said he sent the signal to adjust the blend door, but no heat. He said he's going to have to check online later on and get back with me, but has other appointments to finish today. I sent him the pics from post #7 after that.

No problems of this sort in weeks, and certainly not since the new motor. Since the new motor, I drove it to Key West and back, which involves hours of highway driving over 50 mph with near continuous running of the gas motor.

No change here.

I can, but most anything I can do myself, I want the experience of having done so.

----------
    Ok, I know tearing the dash apart is not the recommended diagnostic process, and although I found a video on doing so for the Gen 3, I don't see anything specific to replacing the blend door actuator. It really seems o me that it has to be the blend door, and not a clogged heater core, seeing as how the air not only never gets hot, but it actually stays cold. It seems to me that if it was anything other than the blend door actuator, then the air would at least get as warm as when the AC is off.

All thoughts are most welcome, as usual.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That does sound like the blend door. You can do some diagnosis with Techstream or another scan tool that can show live data, and watch what it shows for the air mix door position as you change the settings.

Sometimes there's an electrical problem with the servo (or with the driver chip, which, in gen 3, is part of the small wire harness that drapes over the heater and connects the three servos to the amplifier; the three plugs that plug into the servos have driver chips in them). Sometimes it's a mechanical problem, a gear or shaft popped out of position.

4. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would certainly verify there is water pump forced flow in and out of the heater before tearing into the dash. There can be several blockage points in the heater flowpath.

5. Marcilla Smith

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So what's next - pull the piece under the wipers and feel the heater core return hose? It's the one on top, right?

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. Marcilla Smith

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

So, I got around to pulling the shelf under the wipers and used an infrared thermometer to measure at the hoses passing through the firewall.

1. The first measurements were with the car running, no climate control on
      1. Top hose - 111
      2. bottom - 122
    2. Heat on "hi" and fan on low
      1. Top - 110
      2. bottom - 109
    3. Heat on "hi" and max fan
      1. top - 109
      2. bottom - 107
    Then I measured the air coming from the vents. Despite how cold the air feels when it is on " " it was still only as low as 70, whereas when I set it to "lo," it dropped into the 50's. This made me think that the blend door is probably working, and maybe it really is a clog in the heater core.

Therefore, I went back under the hood. I got the idea that maybe I am measuring from too far away, so I brought the thermometer in closer. This time, I got 99 on the top hose and 147 on the bottom.

What I don't get is how the top hose - if it is the inlet hose as indicated in the diagram from the manual - would be cooler than the outlet hose? Wouldn't we expect the coolant to go in hotter than i exits the heater core?

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure how AC operation and cooling proves anything if the blend door is blocking airflow through the heater core.

Second the measured hose temps may all be all too low especially if the engine is fully warmed up to 190f operating temperature.

I have measured part of the heater coolant flow circuit at the drivers side rear temperature sensor using an infrared gun. I found it to be within 3 degrees of the scanner reported coolant temp.
    Exhaust Recirc Sensor Closeup.jpeg

You need to put the car in
    Maintenance Mode so the engine continuously runs. This is the only time the water pump is guaranteed to run.

Ideally watch the coolant temp and the water pump rpm with a scanner and then place the hvac system into heat. I would expect a hotter inlet than outlet.

With no flow the heater hose temps would be lower than engine temp.

If there is no flow through the heater hoses it could be the heater core. . Or it could be blocked by the egr cooler. Or by the thermostat bypass inlet.

In Techstream Maintenance Mode is called Inspection Mode and can be directly turned on. Otherwise,,,

Maintenance Mode
    Continuously Idle Engine

Press Start button 2 times without Brake (Ignition On)
    Press Gas Pedal 2 times
    Press Brake and shift to Neutral

Press Gas Pedal 2 times
    Press Park
    Press Gas Pedal 2 times (hybrid warning light will start flashing)

Press Brake and Start button (starts engine, don't drive it, shutdown to return to normal)

#28 rjparker, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  9. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I went out and traced the heater hoses on our v and agree the engine to heater hose is on the bottom rather than the top.

Perhaps inlet and outlet meanings were lost in translation or were different on similar Corollas with the 1.8L..

10. Marcilla Smith

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I took it apart enough to access the firewall, and placed it in maintenance mode. In addition to distance, I noticed that the laser on the temperature sensor didn't seem to match precisely where the temp was being measured, so I was sure to be more careful about that this time (I'm new to using this device!).

In any event, after letting it run 10-15 minutes and turning the heat to " hi " I got the following measurements: on the top hose (I guess we're calling this the return hose now?) I got 116. On the bottom hose, 168. So if there's a >50 degree difference with no heat coming out of the heater, does that indicate a clog?

I didn't quite understand what you were saying about the area at the temperature sensor indicated in the image you posted. In any event, I measured the hose on either side of the coolant flow circuit (if that's the black plastic piece that goes in 4 different directions). It was 138 on both sides.

I think Ish said he checked the EGR cooler when he replaced he motor. I confess I'm not really familiar with it, or what a thermostat bypass inlet is. FWIW, I had bought a new thermostat with housing that Ish installed with the new motor.

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That does sound like a flow blockage but it still could be at the egr cooler, thermostat or connecting hose. The heater has smaller passages that could be blocked but didn’t you say someone flowed water through it successfully?

I would wonder if he somehow blocked the thermostat bypass or has pinched the hose shut going to it. That hose goes from the egr cooler along the front of the engine to the thermostat. It is obscured from view by the air intake plastic housings.

————

Important info: Flow through the heater should continue if the heat is on or not.

The thermostat bypass should be flowing if the thermostat is open or not.

The bigger engine to radiator hose flows do get mostly blocked by the thermostat when cold.

So there is a coolant flowpath that is open all the time through the heater and one that is controlled by the thermostat.

Flow is different from coolant pressure. You could have pressure without flow, sort of like a water faucet.

Besides something blocked in the heater flow path, you could have a pinched off hose or some hose on wrong.

I will try to get a sketch of the flowpaths for your mechanic.

#31 rjparker, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  12. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a quite amusing video that actually has some good info on the subject.

Update: This is a gen4 engine to gen3 car swap which are known to have overheating issues.

In another short video he captures the “heater actuator” air mix blend door in action.

Update: After reviewing comments on this 5• year video, it became clear his problem came after a gen4 engine swap into a gen3 Prius. These engines have different cooling connections and flowpaths. In these cases, air locking on the heating flowpath is more common.

About a year later he commented about modifying the gen4/3 thermostat “jiggle pin” by drilling it out.

IMG_4813.jpeg
    Realize this fixed his gen4/3 heater problem. However many other viewers commented how sealers had clogged their heater core.

#32 rjparker, Apr 18, 2024
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On the web, you can see a lot of spectacularly ill-informed uses of an IR temp gun. I saw this in a YouTube video once:

[​IMG]

The guy thought he really was measuring the temp of the narrow sliver of exhaust pipe down between the heat shield and flange where he had put the laser spot.

The tool quite simply doesn't do anything like that at all. It shows you an average temperature over a whole round area whose size depends on the distance from the gun. There should be a chart or drawing like this in its manual somewhere:

[​IMG]

(I cribbed that one from the manual for the exact model of gun being used in that YouTube video ... which the person making the video must never have looked at.) The laser spot is nothing but a rough guide to where the center of the whole measured area is. Some tools have wider or narrower spot size-to-distance ratios, so be sure you know what it is for the one you're using.

Also, there's the matter of measuring temps off surfaces with different emissivities.

The tools are handy and fun, but very easy to get fully bogus results with, if not used with enough planning and care.

One can get clamp-on thermocouples where HVAC service tools are sold, and those eliminate a lot of the slop that comes with an IR gun measurement. (Some IR guns will even have a socket on the side where you can plug a thermocouple in, and then the gun will display the accurate temperature from that.)

#34 ChapmanF, Apr 18, 2024