1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

no heat in cabin

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pran, Oct 10, 2021.

1. pran

pran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    2012 Prius V with 100000 miles. Heater was working last winter, haven't used the heater during the Summer. We tried it on and no heat at all. AC works no issues.
    Slight heat when temperature set to Full "HI" and Fan set to Full. Fan blower work as i can hear the fan sound, but cold air. Do not see any leaks.
    What could be the issue?

2. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are a number of possibilities. Air bubble in heater core is most likely. Have you kept up with the coolant level in the reservoir? If you have to keep adding coolant, you may have a head gasket issue waiting for you.

Since you have 100k, I would consider changing:
    - The Engine Coolant
    - The Inverter Coolant
    - The "Transmission" fluid.

Be sure that official Toyota Fluids are used, if you pay somebody to do it, or you do it yourself. The Toyota pink coolant is not the same as the universal Japanese red/pink coolant you can buy at Walmart. Just shop around at different dealers, and you can find Toyota coolant for about $21 gallon. Some better auto parts stores also sell the official Toyota Pink coolant.

Getting all the Coolant out is impossible, since you can only buy the pre-diluted coolant. You need to get as much of the coolant out as you can. I put my 2013 v front up on jack stands, and then drained from the radiator in the exhaust pipe. That becomes the lowest point in the system with the front on jack stands. I opened up the hoses at the bleed valve, and I got 90-95% of the coolant out. You need to run the engine in "Maintenance mode" until the radiator fans run to properly burp the system.

I would also recommend changing the plugs, but save that for when you have the EGR, EGR cooler, and the EGR Passages in the Intake manifold cleaned out. You have to remove the whole windshield wiper assembly to get to the plugs, so that makes plug change and EGR cooler cleaning at the same time as the logical thing to do. Again, buy the plugs from the dealer. They don't cost that much more than the ones on Amazon, and you know they will last another 100k.

For more info: Search for the Nuts about Bolts video for changing a Gen 3 engine coolant.

My fear is that you have the beginning of a HG leak, and that there is a bubble in the heater core. I forget if the 2012 V has the self bleeding valve for the engine coolant, or not (the 2013 does).

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before doing anything, I would look for any trouble codes. You can get those from the HVAC very easily without any kind of scan tool. Just hold down the AUTO and FRESH/RECIRC buttons while turning the car on. Look for two-digit codes in the usual HVAC display.

gromittoo and Henrik Helmers like this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you driven for more than 1/2 hour?
    Have you replaced the cabin air filter?
    Have you checked the fuses for electric part of the heater?

5. pran

pran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks all for the reply,
    ChapManF - the error code is 00 (hold down the AUTO and FRESH/RECIRC buttons while turning the car on)

PriusCamper - yes, driven for more than hour. Still on heat. Havent checked the fuses yet and will look next

Gromittoo - Looks like bleeding the coolant is the best first step.

How much does it cost to replace/bleed the coollant?

THANKS AGAIN!!

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you taken the five seconds needed to get the trouble codes?

7. pran

pran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes the Code is 00

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you saying there's trouble codes logged for heater even if there's no dash warning lights?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Absolutely. Can't think offhand of an HVAC code that does light dash warning lights.

10. pran

pran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    what does error 00 mean? was not able to find AC error code list.