1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No "Hot water bypass" for this car.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by drifty1955, Nov 3, 2007.

1. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

Hi all. I live in Florida and just about every car I have owned in the last 10 years has had engine coolant piped to the throttle body to preheat the throttle body to prevent vapor lock in the winter. It hardly ever gets cool enough to worry about that down here. A cool mod is to bypass that coolant by either blocking the coolant flow to the TB or barreling the in & out coolant lines bypassing the TB. Its worth the effort on a high performance car. It results in a much better running car and performance wise really helps on acceleration as the motor then receives a much cooler and denser fuel charge.
    This weekend for the first time I explored under the hood of my 07 and was shocked to find that it has no coolant to the TB. Just 2 fuel lines...2 vapor lines..and one vacuum line. Its combustion design must not suffer vapor lock. Toyota also hosed me for ever installing a K & N style cone filter as they have put the MAF meter in the OEM air filter housing. Looks like not much can be done to this car. Which is probably a good thing.
    This weekend I have plans to install a EBH. The instructions that came with it are pitiful to say the least. You wouldn't have a chance in hell to install this thing without all the EBH install instruction posts here. Thank you.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe paper filters are better than foam anyway.
    That is the cool thing about sharing experiences hey!

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Drifty...,

I am confused on this one. Can you explain how "Vapor Lock" forms in a thottle body of a fuel injection car, where there is no fuel running in a tubular line ?

Maybe this is a terminology thing, but I thought "Vapor Lock" was when gasoline or air bubbles got into fuel lines between the fuel pump (usually engine mounted fuel pumps) and the gas tank. Then when a suction pulse occured, the bubble just stretched a little and recovered, resulting in no gasoline transport from the gas tank to the fuel pump. This usually happened on 100 degree days, not cool days, and where the fuel line passed close to the exhaust system, or after an exhaust system heat sheild had fallen away from rust.

As most cars in the last ten years have had in-tank gasoline pumps "Vapor Lock" has been a non-issue.

Or maybe this is a different problem unique to newer cars?

The Prius does not have preheated intake air. Hobbit has done some mods to see if it could improve cold-weather fuel economy with inconclusive results. If you think about, with proper computation, the number of oxygen molecules could be calculated from air temperture and air flow. Which is what the MAF does.

The original reason for preheat air was that carbuerators were sensative to temperature, and cars would be quite stinky until both the carbuerator and intake manifolds were warm.

In a fuel inejected car the fuel is injected right at the valve, its plenty warm there most of the time. Even more so in a Miller Valve Train car such as the Prius. During the compression cycle some intake air in the piston is pushed back out of the piston. So, the warmed air from a regulated throttle body temperature would just be overkill in the Prius. As the intake manifold is getting heated from the reverse flow air during the Atkinson cycle/ Miller Valve train action. The warm air is advantageous to atomizing fuel. Atomisation is very temperature sensistive. To get the finest droplets, the air has to be at the right temperature.

There is also no EGR in the Prius, either. So things stay cleaner.

As for the Cone-Shaped K+N filter, maybe you can replumb the intake air-horn, and just splice the filter on the very input end. Then, just leave the filter in the housing out. There might be enough room over to the pasneger side of the engine for it. Mabye K+N will make a fitting that will just plug right onto the air box ?

4. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the problem which can sometimes be encountered in fuel injected cars is icing of the idle bypass passage due to expansion of the air as it passes the idle speed regulation air valve. The Prius engine rarely runs at idle or small throttle opening so I doubt there would be a problem with icing.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And since there's no bypass in the Prius throttle body, the only
    possible icing concern would be in the throat itself right around
    the narrow gaps at the butterfly. That's where the coolant loop
    runs, to keep the throat slightly warmer so the ice doesn't form.
    That loop also will not add any significant heat to the air passing
    by it, so there's really no reason to bypass it at all. Heck, the
    heat simply conducted from the block to the intake runners will add
    more heat to the incoming air than the tiny area at the warmed
    throat could ever hope to.
    While there is a slight constriction at the throttle plate area, the
    throat of that thing isn't really a venturi -- no real need for it
    to be, it's just a place to control airflow.
    _H*

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 3 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]534279[/snapback]</div>
    Icing can be a problem with non-injected engines too. That's why airplanes have carb heat.

Tom

7. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Nov 3 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]534271[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for your reply! I thought about it and your right on more than one point. But..I think its a terminology issue maybe. Case in point: The last 2 vehicles I have owned was a Nissan 240SX and a Mazda truck (Ford Ranger). There's alot of performance forums out there for the 240SX as its the last of the small rear end drive good handling cars (drifting!..not me!) and its one of the things recommended to improve performance and vapor lock was the reason the factory sent coolant to the TB according to the experts. That and emissions. With the Mazda its a fix for its notorious pinging. Its fixed that also. I still have that truck and it runs great with the TB bypassed. Runs perfect and the ping is gone. Not my idea but a well known fix.I always thought that the reason the factory pre heated the AIR through the throttle body was to prevent a hyper cold charge in the dead of winter hitting the cylinders which is not good. Think icing in the carb. But it actually might be more emissions related but down here where we rarely encounter freezing temps its a really cheap horsepower maker.Yes very minor but noticeable I assure you. My 240 had a very minor bog when hot when you punched it but after the mod hit really hard when you punched it. I had it timed to perfection also.
    The only thing I disagree with you is your statement that "warm air is advantageous to atomization". Why then does every true performance car out there have a true working hood scoop. Why don't they just use underhood warm air? Because cold air makes horsepower.Cold air make a lean charge. Lean makes a motor run hot and efficient. And fast. Too lean is bad...goes boom..smoke..flames..good times.
    Now back to my original thread. I thought about what you said and realized that what I had thought were fuel lines to the TB are actually coolant lines. They look like fuel lines. Of course this car is fuel injected and has no fuel to the TB. It has coolant to and from the TB. I picked up a proper fitting barrel from the auto store and I am going to bypass the TB and see if I get a performance boost...and maybe a mileage boost. All I know is all my cars ran so much better without coolant to the TB. But in Florida only!!!! Florida only! Today was the very first cool day of the year...It was a chilly 78. I would not do it in a cold climate! Thanks alot for your post!

8. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because they are looking for maximum air density not atomisation. It is correct that warmer air will allow the fuel to vaporise more completely it wasn't said that this lead to more power but it may lead to better fuel combustion even though the air in the cylinder is less dense. The less dense air will have slightly less fuel in it so it will make slightly less heat but as the fuel is better vaporised it will burn more completely releasing more power per unit of fuel but less power on each stroke.

Hot Rod Harry is seeking maximum power from a given engine capacity, most Prius owners are seeking maximum power from each drop of fuel.
    Volumetric efficiency versus fuel efficiency.

9. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 3 2007, 09:32 PM) [snapback]534477[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Patsparks,

You the man but I am seeking max horsepower from this engine. More power per stroke. Thats exactly what I want! Just experimenting with it and maybe able to capitalize on the local climate. Its cheap and its free! I know it works and does not cost any extra fuel either. At least it didn't on my other cars. Its a well known issue with many many car mod forums. I'm not blazing new trails here. If my car runs like sh*t I will put it back to oem. Lord knows this is a strange car......Surprised no one has done it here before. Its a cold climate issue that I do not have. And plan on capitalizing on that fact....maybe.....Thank you.

10. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Head is a little bigger now.
    Thanks, not sure extra power will make it to the ground, the power to the wheels is limited by the electric motor/generators. I think MG1 determines the torque of the engine to the wheels. The electric throttle will limit revs.
    Good luck with it. I hope you find what your looking for.

11. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 3 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]534510[/snapback]</div>

A man's gotta have dreams my friend. That and skinned knuckles cause its tight in there!

12. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The other reason I got out of the trade.