1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No improvement from Gen 2

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by WhyDesignersWhy, Apr 26, 2019.

1. WhyDesignersWhy

WhyDesignersWhy New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2018 Prius Two. After 4 months/5000 miles, I'm seeing between 46-48 MPG manually calculated at fillup. This is about what my 2006 gen 2 with 207,000 miles was reporting getting in the same driving conditions. I am now really regretting trading it in instead of replacing a bad ball joint - my calculation was the promised "greatly improved" mpg of the gen 4 would outweigh what for me were some really annoying design downgrades. Has anyone had Toyota correct a manufacturing defect related to mpg in the gen 4?

knockknock_2 likes this.
  2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I also upgraded from a Gen 2 Prius (2008 touring model) and also miss some of the sweet storage areas that have evaporated in the Gen 4.
    I can tell you that I had a calculated total of 50.52 MPG for 122,806 miles in my 2008 Prius and so far have a calculated 61.30 MPG for the first 36,621 miles in my 2016 Prius. Same driver. Same spreadsheet. Same location. Similar driving routine, although I have recently retired and I do think the 2008 had a more advantageous-for-high-MPG daily routine.
    I'm sure that you have tried all of the easy tricks like raising your tire pressure - so I cannot understand what could be driving your issue.

3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Your driving habits are the same and will result in the same MPG. When I went from my Gen 2 at 55-60 mpg to my current Eco 2, I also went up to about 70 mpg.

4. WhyDesignersWhy

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you radically change your driving habits? It seems like most people on the forum report significantly better mpg in gen 4 without changing anything.

5. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    4 months of winter driving, right? That drops my MPG by around 15.

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Firstly, you can't compare a Gen 2 with a Gen 4 as far as driving is concerned. I tried a Gen2 (and later a Gen3), and wouldn't buy one because it wasn't a particularly good drive - specially at the price.

Secondly, re MPG - have you kept full records of fills of your cars - over the same period of time (one fill can be deceptive as you can't guarantee that it's filled to the same level - particularly on a Gen 2 with the bladder.

And, did you do manual calculations on both cars - or just the Gen 4?

I can't see it getting only 46-48 MPG, mine does much better driving it "normally" - unless something is wrong, low tyre pressures, sporty tyres instead of ECO tyres? Or, because it is a much more sporty drive, driving it harder or faster?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the epa test and your driving style may not be compatible.

8. WhyDesignersWhy

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree Gen 4 is smoother but Gen 2 was fine with me. I never thought to check the Gen 2 manually (it seemed so honest and sincere), so I suppose it may have been a lying devil all along. I leave my Gen 4 on Eco mode, and if anything drive it less hard due to the little ecometer bar on the dash. With nobody seeming to have a similar experience I think I may have just gotten a bad one. I'm going to try checking the odometer against a GPS (as well as asking the dealer to check everything when I take it in for 5000 mile service).

9. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    No my driving habit was the same. I generally drive slow and hypermile it when I can. Gen 4 is just better in fuel economy overall. I get about 65 mpg going to work, and on the way home I get 90 mpg. Gen 2 was like 55 and 70 respectively I believe.

I came from 4Runner and before that a Supra. I had to change my driving habit - tickets are expensive in California.

10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked my Gen 4 (with new tyres) against the GPS - the speedo was reading 3km/hr fast at 100km/hr, but the odometer was so close I couldn't fault it. Now, with 40,000km on the tyres, I might re-check odometer again. The dashboard display of l/100km varies - I've had between 5% and 11% optimistic on tanks, generally about 7% optimistic - which, I suppose is to be expected, as it's not a carefully measured figure, but is computed by the car using various inputs - though being optimistic is something I've noticed on every car I've checked.

Your figures for MPG - have they included every fill - or just one or 2?

11. WhyDesignersWhy

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, that's a big swing. I didn't formally track weather, but it seems like the best tank did coincide with a warmer spell. Gen 2 didn't vary like that.

12. WhyDesignersWhy

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Eight, seven since I started logging the dashboard mpg for comparison (it is indeed inflated, that seemed to be a known issue so I didn't mention it).
    ACTUAL/REPORTED
    45.9/49
    48.4/50.6
    48/51.2
    48.1/50.7
    49.1/52.8
    51.3/55.1
    46.3/49.8

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    WhyDesignersWhy likes this.
  14. davran

davran Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Base AWD-e
    By the spreadsheet, so for my 2019 awd-e LE is averaging 4.2L/100kms (56 us mpg). I have not yet gone though a winter, which will change things, as I've found that the heavy rains we get here and standing water decrease fuel economy somewhat.
    I find that the stock bridgestone ecopia tires are affected by the rain more than I thought they'd be; my next set of three-season tires will be rated excellent for rain.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's disgustingly good. And I suppose you're not even trying hard...:cautious:

What does the display show, by the end of a tank? On our third gen it's invariably 0.3~0.4 lower.

I was trying my durndest today, new tank, going back and forth to the landfill with bundles of blackberry vines. Purposely going the long way round, to avoid a hill climb. Managed to get it down to 4.5, rolled into the garage at 4.6 I think. Which means at least 4.9 calculated.

New 17" tires might be a factor, and there was a software update

16. davran

davran Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Base AWD-e
    Actually, I am trying pretty hard to get good mileage; I looked up videos of how to drive a Prius, as I've never had one before now :)
    So far mine's 0.1-0.2L/100kms optimistic, but I'm waiting for at least ten tanks to call the average error of the dash readout.

My last tank, which on the spreadsheet showed 4.0/100, showed 3.9 on the dash:

[​IMG]

#16 davran, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. WhyDesignersWhy

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To close this out - after a few more tanks it seems clear that mpg is just far more dependent on outside temperature than I knew. After getting the backup set to one beep, turning off the lane detection that kept giving false alerts, gluing a bump to the "parking assist" button I kept hitting by accident trying to change the dashboard brightness by touch, and ignoring the armrest compartment side hinge and the fact that the sun visor comes nowhere near shielding the driver's face when turned to the side, I've decided the overall positives outweigh these infuriatingly inexplicable design choices and deceptive onboard mpg reporting. :)

davran, krmcg, bisco and 1 other person like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now your cookie'. gotta overlook a lot of faults to achieve 50 mpg's (y)

19. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is yours a Li-ION battery - they're more susceptible. I'm pleased that TOYOTA Australia has only offered the NiMH battery.

Lane Detection - I love it - yes, it occasionally annoys, but I'll put up with that for the time when I NEED it. I'm certain my insurance company wouldn't be impressed if I turned off a potential life-saving (and accident repair saving) safety item - and it cost them big €€€. In fact, I'm sure they'd use that to invalidate a claim in a heartbeat.

Yes, I turn if off on a narrow winding mountain pass, but never on the Motorway which is the majority of my driving.

20. davran

davran Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Base AWD-e
    I turn off the lane detection beep, as I commute over a twisty mountain pass, and it'd beep all the time. Yes, the side hinge console lid is annoying :) I find that the sliders on the sun visors do a decent job. I hate where the heated-seat switches were moved to for 2019.
    My tenth tank got an average of 3.8L/100kms (61.9 us mpg) by the spreadsheet, and that's with awd. I'm damn happy :)
    My dash seems to be 0.2L/100kms -- 3mpg -- optimistic; I wish that could be adjusted.

#20 davran, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019