1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No indication of MPG, MPH nor Odometer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CoastieChief, Nov 4, 2014.

1. CoastieChief

CoastieChief New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no readout of mpg, mph or odometer on my 2004 Prius with over 206k miles. Recently, I replaced the front right brake caliper and bled unit, then attempted to reset both ABS and Brake amber lights by placing a jumper between pins 4 and 13 on 16-pin receptacle under dash (I read this instruction on another Prius Chat Forum). After failing to reset these lights I decided to take car on short test drive to test brakes and failed to remove the jumper wire before driving. I then noticed just 0.0 mpg, 0 mph and odometer remaining on last recorded mileage number. Am fretful I have 'fried' an electronic part but not sure as to what item. Any help to identify this problem would be greatly appreciated. Sitting still in New York.......

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com so that you can obtain the electrical wiring diagram (EWD) for your vehicle.
    2. Referring to the diagram, find the OBD-II connector and figure out which pins you actually shorted together. Once you do that, maybe you can figure out what was damaged. For example if you shorted pin 11 to a source of 12VDC, that would damage the combination meter.
    3. Check the fuses which supply power to the combination meter. Pull each fuse out, one at a time, and verify continuity using the ohmmeter function of your digital multimeter. Do not rely upon visual inspection. The fuses are 10A GAUGE, 15A DOME, and 7.5A IGN.

#2 Patrick Wong, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    dorunron and koolingit like this.