1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No, It’s Real: EV Range Down

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by mr88cet, Jul 12, 2018.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife and I prefer driving without gloves, despite the Minnesota cold. So, the heated feature is great.

#141 john1701a, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I had to sit on my hands when I realized I bought the plus. :)

3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Originally it struck me as a bit silly, but I have to confess that I’ve become a bit addicted to it! That is, when it does get cold, which here in Austin TX, is not often.

Blauer Glimmer likes this.
  4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So, a curious update, on 2019/03/27:

After a year or so of the guesstimatron showing 25ish miles after a full charge, it’s been creeping back up the past month or so. This evening, after a full charge at work, for the first time in eons, the guesstimatron showed over 30 miles! 30.2 miles, I think it was.

I don’t yet have a reading on how many KWh it’s actually charging. However, arriving home, it showed 13.3 miles left (with climate control off). Since the drop I described here, it’s been showing more like 5ish miles left (again, with climate control off). So that seems to suggest that it really is charging the battery fuller.

Next time I arrive at work with essentially zero EV range I’ll be able to take a reading on how many actual KWh it’s charging.

Hmmm! Interesting!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    temperature?

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Spring time? Oh, wait! You are in TX. Our morning temp is still in low 20s, yet finally I am starting to see above 25 miles on GOM. Today was 26 miles for the first time in 4-5 months.

mr88cet likes this.
  7. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    After 14 months and 15k miles, looks like the battery capacity has lost a bit. Yesterday I was able to achieve 5mile/kWh, and I got just 24 miles with 3 miles EV range left. With 5mile/kWh, I used to get 30 miles. The charging time is still 5 hours and 30 min or even 5 hours and 50 min.

However, it is still not warm enough. It was close to 60F yesterday. I will report back when it reach 70F.

bisco likes this.
  8. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think charge time and miles per kWh can both indicate the battery capacity. My wife and I usually get 4-5 miles per kWh.

9. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The long-time aggregate number on the computer for ours is 4.6 miles/KWh, FWIW. So, yes, pretty comparable with what you’re seeing.

10. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Austin TX weather/climate is more ... spastic ... than seasonal! Could be related, but I’m *guessing* that it might be more related to my charging habits: It started to plummet when I was charging 3 times a day and leaving it mostly charged overnight. Not so much so recently: mostly timed charge in the morning before going to work, and once at work, discharging the battery to 5-8ish miles left before each charge.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since I owned a Prius PHV for 5 years prior to getting my Prius, there was a well established pattern already... which still remains true. In that regard, I have some very consistent data to share.

Here's before & now comparison video. It's the same drive, 2 years and 29k miles later:

Notice how close the results are. It's an interesting record of experience. I plan to capture the same drive yet again with kWh consumption data and an even closer match to time & temperature.

Long story short, real EV range is not down based on my detailed ownership observations.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The same is true with our 2014 BMW i3-REx and was true with our former 2017 Prius Prime. As for our 90 day old, 9,152 mile, Standard Range Plus Model 3, no EV range loss has been detected.

Bob Wilson

john1701a likes this.
  13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That recent update to the app has me yearning to capture that drive again. Having a gauge now that displays a total kWh consumption/regeneration value is quite empowering... so much so, it will kill threads just like this one from going on and on without certainty.

I'm at the coffeeshop now, the quarter-way mark, looking at the resulting captured data. It's 7 degrees cooler and I got hit by an extra stoplight, so battery capacity (actual) was at 70% rather than the 72% in the video. (That's an estimate of 79% rather than 80%.) It's all real-world data regardless. The more, the better. In this case, that's 23% of EV capacity available (87%-13%=74; 17/74=23%) The value shown for consumed/regened overall for the drive was 1.215 kWh. Now, this is where things got messy...

I consistently measure 5.75 kWh as a "full" charge from my JuiceBox. That's a complete restoration of EV capacity, including losses from charging and whatever overhead there may be for cycling overhead during the charge and excluding sessions that pre-condition. Some would argue that's not the entire usable EV capacity based on the 8.79 kWh measure of the cells all added up. But my drive often doesn't end as fully depleted (13%), despite being in HV mode. That's due to the long regen I experience just prior to turning into my neighborhood. Sometimes, it's enough to actually show a little bit of EV available. But we know that low values (such as 0.8 mile) will often be suppressed from display. So, you must have an aftermarket gauge to really know what SOC the battery is actually at. But then again, a single percentage point that's truncated falls into margin-of-error territory. With all that being said, I could use a higher value as the measure of "full" for EV capacity. But including a from-the-plug value makes no sense when you are only measuring against consumption/regeneration results. So, I stick with 5.75 kWh.

So doing the calculation.... 23 of 5.75 is 1.322 which is not 1.215 kWh. However, it's close enough. We have a means of collecting & analyzing data that's more comprehensive than in the past. Combined with consistent capture approach, it's as accurate as you can get in real-world conditions.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @john1701a Are you aware of the sub menu on the Energy Monitor on the 11.6" MFD that will show total trip regen?

You have to maximise the Energy Monitor display, then click the top right soft button that looks like bar graphs. See if that value matches what you have on the app.