1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No longer a virgin...

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Bill_Kelly, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Bill_Kelly

Bill_Kelly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thieves broke out my left rear window and took a bug-out bag with three days of MREs and miscellaneous camping/survival gear. No alarm, broad daylight in a shopping center. Aftermarket alarm advice appreciated.
    IMG_1213.JPG

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That's unfortunate but I don't know if an aftermarket alarm will help if the guy sees what he wants. He's in and gone in one minute. Best solution in my book is to keep things out of sight, primarily with the cargo cover.

CharliePrius likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry 'bout that!

I don't live in a high (or even a medium) crime area, but I always park my car in the open and I don't leave things visible in the car.
    Most aftermarket alarms are ineffective garbage! (IMHO)
    For a smash and grab they usually just let you know that you've just lost a window.

However (comma!) if you're going to get a system....don't go cheap!
    Get it professionally installed.
    You won't necessarily be more secure with the system, but nothing sucks much worse that having an underpaid kid tinkering with your wiring harness....

...just sayin. ;)

Oh yeah.
    Glad you didn't lose something more valuable than the bug-out bag! ;)

Stay safe!

4. Bill_Kelly

Bill_Kelly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here is a short note from my local dealer (Antioch Toyota):
    "I would recommend the Toyota RS 3200 alarm with glass breakage sensors. PART # (PT39847120)

(the car comes standard with anti theft system but no noise makers or window sensors)

It would not stop them from breaking the window but the alarm would have sounded when they did.

The cost of the part is 299 and service will charge 300 for the two hour labor time to install. This is a Toyota part and will work through your factory remote control as well. I spoke with Paul in Parts and he is aware he may be ordering one of these for you so please give him a call if you wish to proceed."

FYI, Bill

PS - that shine is from Zaino.

5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Any alarm will work through your remote as they typically connect it to your door locks. As your salesman said you will get a microphone based glass break alarm (which are sometimes triggered by noise or something hitting the glass). The only advantage to paying double is Toyota will back up their tech's work especially if they were to inadvertently burn up one of the car's computers through a wrong connection. Since the existing remote immobilizes the car from hot wiring, an aftermarket install can be easy.

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't get car alarms.
    These vehicles are very difficult to actually steal so you're trying to address smash and grab or airbag theft.
    Surely you've seen how people react when a car alarm goes off. They ignore it and wish it would go away.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There can be some advantage to an audible glass breakage/impact alarm.

However, thieves can be bold. I suspect in this particular crime the weakest link was simply having a bag visible in your car. They broke the glass on your vehicle, so obviously attracting attention to themselves was not a concern. The best defense against a smash and grab, is not to have anything visible to smash and grab for...

On a new vehicle still under warranty I'd probably go with the dealer installed upgrade, even though it may not be the best value.

I personally feel a glass breakage and impact sensor should be standard on all alarms.

Unfortunately I often think the greatest advantage to an alarm upgrade is the 97 cent stickers that are usually put in the window.

If someone decides steal something out of your vehicle they are probably going to do it. The trick is simply making your vehicle either a less appealing target or a slightly greater risk in theft than any surrounding vehicle.

8. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with css28, most people could care less if an alarm is going off. You're money might be better spent in tinting the back windows or just get a car alarm sticker and put it on your window. I've always just told the kids to stack their gadgets under the seat or under a blanket if it's left in the car.

9. 1911Tex

1911Tex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I hear car alarms go off all the time in parking lots.....no one pays attention. It is usually the owner accidentally hitting the emergency button on the remote.

10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still think there can be some advantage to an audible car alarm, even though everyone is right, in public most people go out of their way to tune them out or ignore them. However....

#1. If you are near your vehicle, it can alert YOU to the fact that something is happening. Most people ignore OTHER peoples car alarms, but if it sounds like it could be your car?

#2. Maybe more importanly, with the stickers, a visible announcement that you have an alarm, and one that will sound- does make your vehicle just that less appealing to thieves.

#3. (Personal Experience Story) Many years back I had a small pick-up I parked on the street that had an impact and glass breakage alarm. One day I heard the alarm go off and went to see what was going on. Someone driving down the street had actually managed to clip my front bumper and had bent it forward badly. The good news was because of my impact sensor alarm, I was able to go out and catch the guy while he was still trying to back up and "unclip" from my bumper.
    Now the guy seemed nice, and when I appeared he sheepishly explained what happened and was forthcoming with his insurance information. Everything turned out OK.
    But honestly? Had I NOT had an impact alarm, and had I not actually caught him and witnessed what was happening could I be 100% sure he wouldn't of simply unclipped and drove away? In that incidence the alarm helped me witness not a theft, but damage to my vehicle which only may or may not of been admitted to otherwise.

So anyway I don't totally discount have a glass breakage/impact sensor capable alarm. They can be helpful. Infact, I really think that should be the minimum on any alarm.

12. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think the only thing that can help in this case is a pager alarm.

Other than that, the best bet is just better prevention and hopefully it won't happen again.

13. HawaiivGuy

HawaiivGuy On the Way

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Aloha,
    I installed a proximity sensor on my 350Z roadster, which kept people from trying to lean up against the car and glass to look into it. If they got too close (just short of physical contact), a warning chip would sound. Also added a "pain generator", a high frequency, 120+ db siren under the driver side dash. I've had friends try this out...the only thing they wanted to do was get away, fast! Not an attention getter, as it isn't loud outside. But the cry from the would be intruder might. :p