1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No manual tranny??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberprius, Jun 9, 2008.

1. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've always driven a manual tranny. So, some friends have mentioned that fact.

Any reason, and I know it is all guess, why no manual in the Prius. Seems it would offer best MPG as it does in all the other Toyota lines...

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Kristi,

The Toyota hybrid system totally depends upon its unique transaxle design that combines power produced by the gasoline engine and two motor generators. It is not possible to use a manual transmission with this design.

I attached an excerpt from the 2004 New Car Features manual which provides an overview of the Toyota hybrid system. If you have questions after reading the excerpt, please ask away.

Attached Files:

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As Patrick states above, it's not possible in the Prius. Another way to look at it is that the Prius transmission is manual, but it only has one gear and no clutch, so there is nothing to operate when it comes to shifting. It's a completely unique system.

Tom

4. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Are you sure its Kristi asking?
    Is it not her husband?

ZC1

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll bet you are right. She won't let him near her car. Maybe the computer will be next.;)

6. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've driven a stick for 35 years, and the CVT gearless makes you forget about wanting to shift, which can be tedious on hills and in traffic. It's so smooth, unlike a regular auto, which has those annoying steps when the gears change. I can imagine future race cars with the CVT (shifting takes time), though I understand full battery-powered vehicles don't need a transmission--just a braking system. You get away from the ICE, and cars change dramatically.

I've noticed that other non-hybrids also have the CVT transmission, Jeeps, for example. I assume it's also stepless, like the Prius?

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Other than the name, absolutely nothing is in common. The components are different and they operate different.

Cone & Belt type CVTs are used for non-hybrid vehicles and some "assist" hybrids.

Planetary type CVTs are used for "full" hybrid vehicles.

Refer to the PSD documents on my website for illustrations & descriptions of how the system in Prius works.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well - the Prius transaxle might act and "feel" like a CVT installed in a non-hybrid. However the Prius transaxle works much differently than a CVT.

9. YoungOrganist

YoungOrganist New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Is it true that the only stick shift hybrid is the Insight?

I've always wondered: Is a CVT more efficient than a manual transmissions? Of course it picks the gearing ratio whereas you can choose on a stickshift, but does it always pick the most efficient one?

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can still shift to any of the available gear selections at any speed ... if you need something to do with your other hand. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

11. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. Does the Prius CVT feel smoother than the others? I assume it isn't either Cone & Belt or Planetary.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what you mean by tranny, this is a tranny
    [​IMG]

The Prius has something looks more like this
    [​IMG]
    under the bonnet.

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither, it is all electric and there fore is as smooth as an electric car.
    There are no variable ratios just 2 electric motor/generators and some fixed ration gears.
    Have a look in the tech section for more.

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about this everyone I can't help myself.
    Little redneck humour.
    What is the difference between a transexual man and a Prius?

One is gay and the other ...

... is a transexual man.

I don't agree with this but I had to post it. and I thought of it myself.

15. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One of the great things about John's site, as well as PriusChat, is that there is so much information if you care to learn.

The Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive uses a planetary gear power-split device to blend the power of the electric motors and gasoline engine. There is only one gear ratio. The gears are always engaged, so there really is no neutral.

Have you found your Prius to accelerate smoothely? Smoother than any other? Efficiently going from 0 to 65 mph (or over if you don't pay attention)?

16. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pat, you gotta get out and dance more! You came up with the picture and jokes waay too quickly!!

Olivia Newton John would be shocked!

17. YoungOrganist

YoungOrganist New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    That looks more like a Transaxle...

18. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    the Civic hybrid was offered in a manual transmission... I just can't go there with the tranny jokes, sorry.. But it is not in the present model.

er.. Civic... that is

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is true that the gearing between the ICE, MG1 and MG2 is fixed and in that sense there is only one physical gear ratio. There exist an almost infinite number of "logical" gear ratios, hence the Prius transaxle emulates a conventional CVT.

MG1 spins clockwise and counterclockwise as needed, based upon hybrid vehicle ECU control, so that the ICE can run at the most efficient speed given the driver's demand for power, while MG2 runs at the speed required to move the car at the desired mph. MG1's ability to be flexible and rotate in either direction enables the variety of logical gear ratios mentioned above.

The traction battery provides the necessary power to supplement the ICE when the driver demands substantial power. The battery also serves as a reservoir when the ICE produces more power than required to move the car, as well as when regen braking is in effect.

20. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not so fast. There has been one other vehicle that has had a planetary gearset with a CVT, the Prius is not unique.

This vehicle has been available since early 1980s and is still selling today.
    I should know, I rode in it, worked with it and was officially trained for its repair.
    Not everyone can afford or purchase it, but it was/is the M1 Abrams Tank.

The driver sits in a tight, almost claustrophobic, compartment with a shortened pair of motorcycle grips as an accelerator. If I remember correctly, no shifting necessary, except reverse and neutral. I had dissected the CVT transmission which needed an overhead crane to move it around since it weighed as much as an old Volkswagen Beetle (around 2,000 lbs). The planetary gearset was huge.

ZC1