1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

No means no.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Mar 25, 2007.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Mar 27 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]412949[/snapback]</div>
    As shown by the low level of violence now as compared to before abortion was like taking an asprin.

Great arguement, and I don't think you should show the graph of abortions on the rise vs. the drop in violent crime because we just like the puff ball logic in words and don't like to view the data.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Mar 27 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]412938[/snapback]</div>
    i was very fortunate with DH, actually. we kinda just stumbled upon each other, he had no idea what i was living through at the time but he seemed to understand that i wasn't going to be as well-adjusted as most people. he ended up giving me a place to live where i didn't have to be afraid, he did all he could to help me through the traumatic stuff, the whole deal. the perfect mate. and yet i tried and tried and TRIED to find something wrong with him! i couldn't find anything of any kind of importance... i believe he is a better person than i in many, many ways.

unfortunately, some people don't have that kind of luck. i hope your sister has learned from her experiences. the best thing we can do with a negative experience is learn and try to avoid it in the future.

3. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 27 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]412960[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, things were so much calmer and safer in this country 100 years ago... they actually meant to call the frontier the "mild mild west", but that just didn't have the same ring to it.

4. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Mar 27 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]412971[/snapback]</div>
    It became the mild mild west after the Jessica Lunsford act of 1815. It was long overdue as there were weekly violent rapes and murders of children that were way out of control prior to this new law in the west.

5. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 27 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]412962[/snapback]</div>
    You were very lucky to find someone like DH and realize (no matter how the path went) that he was a good match. I wouldn't say he's a better person than you, though. You're each what the other needs. He will heal you and you'll no doubt heal him. I'd say your story is an inspiration to others.

My wife had a similar experience. In her case, she came from a home with an extremely verbally abusive father and a mother who didn't stick up for herself. To this day she still expects me to lose my head and start shouting at her for insignificant little things. She's gotten better with it, but it was a struggle. And she had to do it while trying to make sense of the very large suitcases I brought to the marriage. So what she's done is quite impressive.

I think my sister has learned over the years, albeit slowly. She came out of our house with absolutely no tools to be able to make sound decisions. Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Women Who Run With The Wolves) talks about women being un-mothered. And my sister was a poster child for that. My mom was so completely ineffective it wasn't funny ... she was too wrapped up in her own life to be able to teach my sister what she needed to know.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Mar 25 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]412024[/snapback]</div>
    We see it everyday, I agree 100% with qbee42!

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 27 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]412976[/snapback]</div>
    Are you going to link this to abortion somehow? :)

8. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Mar 27 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]413047[/snapback]</div>
    The Jessica Lunsford act of 1815 is not linked to abortion in any way.

I was just pointing out how that law helped stem the violent rape and brutal murder of kids that was so wide spread in the early 1800's. Thanks to this law, we only see 25 or 30 of these a week in the news now. Thank God it's not very often.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 27 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]412960[/snapback]</div>
    It's documented in Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner, published by William Morrow. Violent crime dropped when the generation born just after legalization reached the expected high-crime age. The explanation was that unwanted children are poorly cared-for and less loved, and therefore treated badly, and much more likely to be anti-social. Very controversial, but pretty clear.