1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

no messege while driving?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Omegaphoenix, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Omegaphoenix

Omegaphoenix New Member

Well, I got a new prius lately, and have been loving it. I found out that I could press the messege button while on a radio station, and it would give me the song name and such on certain stations. That's much better that struggling to get the messege as it was displayed in parts on the button. So I'm all happy until I get to 10 mph and it says "For your safety, messeges cannot be displayed while driving." Wow, i'm thinking hmmmm and the Consumption and Energy graphs are safe?? And it's safer for me to try to get the messege as I look back and forth to get the messege in parts and not crash? What were they thinking, imo it's more dangerous to not let the messege display. Oh and to make matters worse, even if I'm going 0 mph after I've been going over the limit, I can't see the messege. Anyway, I just wanted to rant about that, and ask if anyone knew about a fix.

2. CHART

CHART Member

Nope, I don't know bout any workarounds, but I share your utter confusion about why it is better to stare at the button as the song and artist scrolls by vs. seeing it all at once??????

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Eh, it's like the NAV "I Agree" & Destinations or the BT phone book. Standard lawyer safety. The NAV you can get away with (at least entering destinations), but the rest you have to live with at the moment.

4. ABC12

ABC12 New Member

there is a hardware mod where you interrupt a speed input to the mfd for bluetooth that also will free up the radio messages

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but the override for the nav is available.

6. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

And what get's me is ....this IS a message...just not a helpful one! :wacko:
    We've seen it too and deem it definitely weird.

7. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

The NAV hard-wire override is different than the Bluetooth hard-wire override. Both interrupt speed pulses, but on two different wires. The NAV override can be done using key presses, so the hard-wire mod is not necessary. However, the Bluetooth/radio message override must be done as a hard-wire mod.

8. shandrea

shandrea New Member

Standard incompetent lawyer logic is what it is. Please do me a favor. If any of you get in a crash, be sure to blame it on the fact that your were trying to read the name of a song and then get a good plaintiff's attorney. That may be what it takes for Toyota to get a clue. It makes no sense why this would be done for legal reasons.

If rds is going to be safely provided, it needs to be large, complete and precise (not flashing parts of words at a time as in my Nissan Murano). Its when you have to stare at the screen for more than a split second to read it that it becomes dangerous. If the information was just there, easy to quickly read, it would be no more dangerous than looking to see the fuel consumption or the radio station.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wayne, yeah that was what I meant hehe. There's no built-in override for the "For safety, no message given while driving."

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This feature and the disclaimer are intended to protect Toyota more from being liable for the injuries of someone who was hit by the driver who was distracted by playing with the NAV or audio systems than from a suit by the negligent operator.

11. Omegaphoenix

Omegaphoenix New Member

Well, can't they just have a disclaimer messege that says that they're not liable instead of changing the interface to protect themselves?

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That would work for the driver who ignores the warning, but not for the innocent bystander who is injured. A non Prius driver/owner plaintiff can and will argue that Toyota did not do enough to protect him or her from harm by only having a disclaimer which Toyota knew would be ignored. By blocking such distractions while driving, Toyota has a fairly solid defense from liability to an injured third party.

13. shandrea

shandrea New Member

But the point is that Toyota does not block the distractions. I creates distractions through the other features of the mfd and the amount of effort it takes a person to see what they actually want to see.

The energy screen, for example, is constantly changing and you have to look carefully at which way the arrows are pointing to decipher it. Worsening the seriousness of the distraction, the display changes whenever you do something that naturally increases your chances of an accidents (hitting the brakes, letting off the gas, speeding up). How is this not distracting as compared to displaying the name of a song?

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

How about we not talk too much about what is already distracting that is worse than the lockout msg, lest we get the whole display locked out on the next model?

15. spindoc

spindoc New Member

Where can one read about the hardwire mod for Bluetooth??

This will bore SOMEONE, but Bluetooth was the nickname for Danish King Harald Blatand, who in the 10th Century tried to unite his part of the world during a conflict in 960 AD. The modern Bluetooth, of course, intends to unite various devices in wireless range.